all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, June 17, 2011

Macaroni Gruyère and Parmesan with Bacon




Macaroni and cheese is delicious but macaroni and cheese with bacon is decadently delicious!

We all know the way to a man’s heart:  through his stomach!  And what man doesn’t like macaroni and cheese?  So here is a good treat for that special man in your life, be it your husband, father, brother, uncle, grandpa or boyfriend!  You can show him how much you care and satisfy his appetite by cooking the food that he loves on Father's Day this Sunday.  

Gruyère melts smoothly and has a slightly sweet, nutty flavor that blends perfectly with Parmesan’s buttery, nutty flavors. Add the succulent, smoky bacon to the mix and it turns the macaroni into a mouthwatering dish.  This is a creamy savory macaroni and cheese main dish or side dish.

Be ready for a forkful of cheesy goodness when this comes out of the oven!  It had us saying, “Ah!!!” and I hope it will have the same affect on you and your loved ones!
 
Macaroni Gruyère  and Parmesan with Bacon

Ingredients:

4 strips bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
8 ounces macaroni
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon dried mustard
4 cups milk
4 cups (12 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
1½ cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Chives for garnish, optional

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Fry bacon until crisp.  Drain and set aside.
Cook macaroni according to package directions.  Drain well.  Set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt butter.
Add flour and dry mustard to make a simple roux.
Stir in garlic.
Slowly pour milk into mixture, stirring constantly.
Add cheeses, except for ½ cup of Parmesan and blend well until mixture is smooth.
Scoop in cooked macaroni and coat well with the cheese and milk mixture.
Fold in crisp bacon strips.
Season with salt and pepper.
Pour mixture into 3-quart casserole that is coated with cooking spray.
Sprinkle with reserved Parmesan.
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Serves 4-6


Yum!  It’s great with Gruyère, Parmesan and smoky bacon!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!






Pin It

19 comments:

Pegasuslegend said...

Pam love the cheese and bacon combo this is awesome for the 4th coming up then that garlic oh yum!

Janie said...

OOohhh! That looks really good! My guys are going to Love it..thanks for posting it..

Jenn said...

Uhmmmm... yea, I think I'm in love!!!

Emily Malloy said...

You had me at bacon.

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I am adding these ingredients to my grocery list! Bacon and cheese, my husband will be so happy! :)

jose manuel said...

Vaya plato delicioso de pasta, me encanta.

Saludos

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Looks like we are on the same page, Pam. I posted mac&cheese with bacon and panko yesterday :) Have to try it with gruyere cheese next time :) Have a great weekend!

Comfy Cook said...

I don't eat bacon but this sounds like it will hold it own without it. Certainly looks good.

David said...

Pam, Bacon & Gruyère as a change from standard Mac & Cheese... How could anyone go wrong!! Sounds terrific...adding it to the recipe files. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Big Dude said...

I really like the flavors you used - especially bacon

StephenC said...

Gruyere, yes! And you call it macaroni. That is so my 50's childhood.

Pam said...

Claudia, thanks! Love summer time, all the holidays and foods!

Janie, great. Thanks so much!

Jenn, lol! I got ya! Have a great weekend!

Emily, bacon rules! Have a good day!

Linda, those are two of my favorite things! Have a fun weekend!

Jose Manuel, gracias! Que tengas un buen dia!

Biren, we definitely are! And I have to try it with panko as it sounds great to me!

Comfy Cook, it would be good without as the cheese is so flavorful. I'd add some tomatoes to it.

Dave, glad you like the sound of it. It's creamy good!

Larry, the bacon is like icing on the cake. Have a great weekend!

Stephen, the 50's were a wonderful thing and macaroni and cheese made it even better. Have a fine weekend!

Sue said...

This sounds amazing! My husband would love it!

Hugo Nofx said...

Nice Blog!
kisses.

My Little Space said...

I made pasta for lunch today and yours look really inviting too. Probably, this will be one of your grandchild favourites one day! :o) Hope you're having a great weekend.
Kristy

Pam said...

Sue, thank you!

Hugo, thanks so much!

Kristy, I hope it will also and you have a great weekend!

Monet said...

Oh yes! This looks and sounds so very good. Thank you for sharing today...this mac and cheese is making me want to get into the kitchen (even though it is 105 degrees right now!) You are a blessing! Have a wonderful Sunday!

Cathy said...

Wow, I love this version of the classic mac & cheese. Gruyere melts so beautifully and the bacon adds tons of great flavor. You've brought this one way up town, Pam.

I appreciate so very much that Wives with Knives is on your sidebar and hope that you will update my blog address so you will receive my current posts. It's an honor to be there.

Karen said...

Psst... don't tell anybody but I've never made mac & cheese!!I am going to one of these days and this gives me some good ideas... bacon for sure!