all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, June 13, 2011

Lima Beans Stewed with Jalapeños





I wish I could take credit for this dish; however, it is one of Stephen’s creations over at The Obsessive Chef.  I’ve been following his blog for a long while and I can tell you he has created many unique dishes.   Stephen previously lived in Denver where Tucker Shaw, food editor for the Denver Post, lauded the obsessive home cook and his food blog.  Be sure to check out his novel blog!


My favorite vegetable might just be lima beans but, it wasn’t always so:  Growing up, Mom had many dinner parties and this particular evening, one guest at the dinner table, a couple of years older than myself, caught my attention.  All I remember of the evening is her chowing down on Mom’s lima beans.  I was mesmerized as I thought this was one of the worst veggies on earth and, how could she stand eating those disgusting things?


Some time later, Mom served us lima beans for dinner and I was baited, remembering Carols’ devouring them.  A taste led to a serving of them and I’ve never turned them down since.  Then I graduated to Mom’s succotash at Thanksgiving time.  




I usually just cook lima beans in a little water and serve with salt and pepper so this recipe of Stephen’s intrigued me since I knew I would’ve never considered adding jalapeño peppers to the beans.  It was delicious ~ Bill and I both liked it.  The jalapeños added a little fire and stewing them in chicken broth added rich flavor.  I used a fresh jalapeño pepper, nice and spicy; no cilantro here though.  I still haven’t learned to like that!


Here’s Stephen’s recipe:


Lima Beans Stewed with Jalapeños

1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1 16 oz bag frozen limas, thaw them
1/2 cup chicken stock
6 oz can jalapeños (I used 1 fresh, chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro for garnish
hot sauce for garnish (optional)

This is super easy. Heat the butter and oil Add the beans and stock and cook at a low simmer for 20 minutes. Add the jalapeños, salt and pepper and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve up with cilantro and hot sauce. This is true comfort food.




Thanks for another tasty creation, Stephen!  This is a keeper for sure and one I’ll enjoy making and eating many times!



Visit my friend Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!





Pin It

15 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

I'm excited to try this. I love limas but my husband finds them too bland. This should perk up his taste buds!

Best,
Bonnie

Pegasuslegend said...

Nice job, Stephen has a great recipe there and you aced it!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I love beans so this is one on our menu for sure. Thanks. Diane

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I love Stephen's blog too! Living in New Mexico, I have to try any recipe that has peppers in it. I am sure we will love this!

StephenC said...

Pam, I am flattered that you not only made my recipe but gave me such a lovely mention in the blog.

Lyndsey said...

I am not a big fan of lima beans...too pasty or something (it must be a texture issue) :D But I am not one to not try things I don't like again. I have learned to like brussels sprouts and beets by roasting them, of course drizzled with some good flavorful stuff! I will have to try lima beans this way...who knows I might change my mind!

David said...

Pam, Love Lima beans! Adding Jalapenos and chicken stock will kick it up a notch for sure... You may not have come up with this recipe, but you get credit for bringing it to my attention! Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Torviewtoronto said...

innovative dish I haven't had like this Pam

Janie said...

I have to try this. I Love limas and never thought of adding heat to them.(I Love heat!)

Pam said...

Bonnie, this should do the job then!

Claudia, thanks! They're good!

Diane, this is so easy and definitely spices up the beans!

Linda, I envy you with living in the land of peppers!

Stephen, it is a pleasure! Thanks so much for being creative with the limas!

Lyndsey, I think our tastes change after a while so here's hoping you try this and savor it!

Dave, thanks! Glad you're a lima bean fan also! I thought it was a pretty unique way to cook limas and hoped others would like it. They're spicy delicious!

Pam, give it a try! It's different, easy and yummy!

Janie, the same here! I think I could've added even more of the peppers! Hope you try it!

JG said...

Lima Beans are SO GOOD! These must have a nice pizazz. I'll be using this recipe. :)
~Judy

Pam said...

Judy, I agree! Hope you like it!

Pam said...

I saw this on his site too... they look fantastic!

Those chile rellenos down below have me drooling!

alice said...

Lovely idea, we love them here too but I'd never have thought to prepare them like this. Bookmarked!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Oh wow! I wouldn't have thought of that either. Love all that pretty green! I love the Mexican kick you're on with the jalapenos in the lima beans and chiles rellenos! Can I come over? ;)