all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chiles Rellenos




Here’s a great Mexican dish that takes some time to make but is worth every minute of it. This is the first time I’ve made chiles rellenos and they turned out really tasty with a little heat so this recipe is a keeper for me.

Poblano chiles are used in the recipe but, Anaheim or ancho (dried poblano) could be used as well.  They are charred and then their skins are removed.  After being coated in a batter, they are stuffed with cheese, fried and then baked.  The chiles are pan-seared instead of deep fried.

While speaking of chile peppers, I came across an interesting and informative book about them:  The Great Chile Book by Mark Miller.  It describes the varieties, regions where they are grown, degrees of hotness (1-10) and includes photos of more than 90 fresh and dried chiles with many recipes.

Back to this recipe ~ it was in “Cooking Light” magazine and I made a couple of changes.  The recipe called for ¼ cup cilantro to be added to the tomato salsa; I don’t care for cilantro so omitted it.  It included reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, I used regular because I had that on hand.


Charred
Skinned, remove seeds
Fried, ready to bake

I really like the salsa in this dish!  With using medium salsa verde, there is a little heat; if you like more heat, use the hot.  It’s a great recipe and I hope you give it a try if you like chiles rellenos!


Chiles Rellenos
Adapted


Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1¼ cups coarsely chopped onion
2 cups chopped tomatoes
½ cup low-sodium salsa verde
¼ teaspoon salt
4 poblano chiles
1 cup (4-ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
2 tablespoons goat cheese, divided
3 large egg yolks
3 large egg whites
¼ cup flour
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons cornmeal
¼ cup canola oil

Method:
Preheat broiler to high.
Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium
high heat.
Add onion, sauté 4 minutes.
Stir in chopped tomatoes, salsa verde and ¼ teaspoon salt.
Cook 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
Place tomato mixture in food processor and process until
smooth.  Set aside.
Place poblanos on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Broil 3 inches from heat for 8 minutes or until blackened and
charred, turning after 6 minutes.
Place in a paper bag; fold to close tightly.
Let stand 15 minutes.

Peel and discard skins.
Cut a lengthwise slit in each chile; discard seeds, leaving
stems intact.
Spoon ¼ cup Jack cheese and 1½ teaspoons goat cheese in
cavity of each chile.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly beat egg yolks in a small bowl.
Place egg whites in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high
speed until stiff peaks form.
Fold egg yolks into egg whites.
Combine flour and black pepper in a shallow dish.
Place cornmeal in another shallow dish.
Dredge poblanos in flour mixture, and dip into egg mixture.
Dredge in cornmeal.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot;
reduce to medium heat.
Add coated poblanos to oil.
Cook 6 minutes or until crisp, turning to cook on all sides.
Place chiles on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8
minutes or until cheese melts.
Serve with salsa.



Buen apetito!



Visit my friend Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!




Pin It

35 comments:

jose manuel said...

Nunca los he probado, que ricos se ven.

SAludos

Emily Malloy said...

This looks PERFECT!

Pam said...

Jose Manuel, usted debe hacer. Es delicioso!
Saludos

Pam said...

Emily, thanks! It's good!

Holly said...

This sounds great!! Love goat cheese!)

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Chile Rellonos is one of our favorite Mexican dishes. It always amazes me, how many different ways there are to make Chile Rellonos. That is why cooking is so exciting to me! There is always a new way to make your favorite recipe. Food is never boring!

Karen said...

My absolute favorite Mexican dish! They're so much work to make, but are SO good!

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

They look so good, I'd love it with a hot salsa! That book sounds good, I have his taco book, which I like a lot.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Wow but those look good, bet they are tasty. Diane

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Pam, I have never eaten stuffed chiles before but this looks really good. We are going to New Mexico in August and I hear there will be lots of this stuff on the menus so perhaps I will try yours to get used to them. :) Heck, anything once stuffed and fried has got to be yummy, right?

Marta Benicá said...

It was beautiful! Thanks for birthday message, being a follower and to respond to my messages with love, you are always very welcome. Regards, Marta.

From the Kitchen said...

This is one of my favorite Mexican dishes and I've never made them. I am, however, inspired!

Best,
Bonnie

Jenniffer said...

I love chile rellenos, but I have never made them at home. After seeing how yummy yours look, I think I will try them... very soon!

StephenC said...

Been thinking about poblanos lately. I like that they are fairly large. Looks good.

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks wonderfully delicious looks good

Alessandra said...

Yum Pam!!! I really like these ones, and I am sure my kids would love them!

Have a great weekend

ciao
Alessandra

V@WhimsyLamb said...

I love chile rellenos! I live in New Mexico so I am pretty spoiled with the amazing green chili we have here. But these look delish!

Pam said...

Holly, I do it, great flavor!

Linda, I'm sure the ones in your area are excellent and I'd love to have one.

Karen, I agree! They're great!

Carol, I have to check out the taco book. His chile book is very useful!

Diane, they are. I think the next time I may add some meat to them.

Katrina, you got it with the stuffed and fried! You have to try them on your trip out there!

Marta, thanks for stopping by.

Bonnie, they take a little time but the end result is great!

Jenniffer, they're interesting to make at home and really good to eat!

Stephen, I will be making the poblanos again and varying the ingredients. Poblanos are 4-5" long and 2-1/2 to 3" in diameter. Wondering what you version will be when cooking them!

Torviewtoronto, thanks, they are!

Alessandra, they are really good! You have a great weekend! Hugs!

V, lucky you, I envy you! I know they are really great out your way!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

We love Mexican food but I rarely make it at home. I need to try these, they sound delicious!

The Fajdich Times said...

Your dish looks delish! Had Mexican food out last night:)

Big Dude said...

Looks delicious Pam and we love rellenos. I've never tried the cornmeal as a final coatong. My poblanos and anaheims both seem to be setting a good crop - and many will end up this way.

Comfy Cook said...

They look fantastic. They have a spirit of their own.

Pam said...

Susan, I know what you mean. I'm starting to make more Mexican dishes now.

Judy, thanks! I bet you had a good dinner last night!

Larry, thank you! The cornmeal gives a little crunch along with a little corn taste. Lucky you with growing your own! That would be great coming up with new ideas for cooking them.

CC, thank you! I think you're right; they do have a spirit of their own!

Martha (MM) said...

Yum! This is perfect - I have a big bag of a variety of peppers my friend gave me from her garden. I think I'll just make a huge batch of these :-)

Joanne said...

These sound so good! I love chile rellenos but have never made them at home! Have to give these a try!

Pam said...

MM, what a good friend you have Martha! Enjoy!!!

Joanne, you'll definitely have to try them yourself then. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results!

kitchen flavours said...

This looks really good! I think I could just eat this without any salsa! Thanks for sharing and have a lovely Sunday, Pam!

Marguerite said...

Love Mexican cuisine and these chilies look out of this world! Definitely want to try them! Thanks for the great recipe, cher!

Bryan said...

This in one of my all time favorite dishes... ever! You did a great job on this one.

Pegasuslegend said...

These are just perfect Pam great job! I love them!

Monet said...

Hi Pam! Ryan adores chile rellenos, and I've always wanted to try them at home. These look easy and delicious. Thank you for sharing such an inspired Mexican meal. I hope you are having a beautiful weekend. Love from Austin!

Chris said...

Chiles Rellenos are some of my absolutely favorite sides for a variety of dishes or just a great snack.

JG said...

I've never tasted these. They sound delicious!

Thank you for your kind words on my blog. Lots of cleanup going on in Western MA, now.

Thank you also for the award. :)
~Judy

Raquel @ Erecipe.com said...

hi this is perfect for my luch today, I am looking for some mexican recipe until I landed on this page. I will definitely try this today.

katiez said...

Love these - always been a favorite but have never tried to make them....