all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, June 20, 2011

Cherry Clafouti ~ Bon Appétit!



I’ve never even tasted it, much less baked it but I have seen recipes for cherry clafouti countless times.

As you can see, my blog header has cherries on it so I obviously really like cherries and “red” also.  I had 15 pounds remaining in the freezer and made some more jam with most of it.  Then along came the magazine…

By being on the cover of the June issue of "Bon Appétit," Gwyneth Paltrow has done something few people have done. The Editor-in-Chief says they do it a few times a year with the right person and of course, he/she has to love food to bag the honor.  It’s an interesting article about Gwyneth and her passion for cooking; except, that isn’t really what attracted me to this issue. 

What naturally drew me in was the article with all the recipes for cherries, especially the clafouti.  Since I’ve never made cherry clafouti I wanted to attempt it though, I’m not sure I would make the dessert again ~ there are a plethora of cherry recipes out there!

I used red-tart cherries from a Wisconsin orchard but you can use Bing, Brooks, Early Burlat, Garnet or Rainier cherries.  As it’s close to the season, here’s the recipe that would be good for using fresh cherries, if you favor clafoutis:


Cherry Clafouti

Ingredients:

1 pound fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted or frozen pitted cherries, thawed, drained
1 cup whole milk
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
4 large eggs
½ cup flour
½ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon kosher salt (I used ¼ teaspoon table salt)
Powdered sugar

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Butter 10” springform cake pan or eight 2/3 or ¾ cup ramekins or custard cups.
Arrange cherries in a single layer in pan.
Combine milk and cream in a small saucepan.
 Bring just to a simmer over medium heat.  Set aside.
Combine eggs, flour, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl.
Whisk to blend.
Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture; whisk until custard is smooth.
Pour custard evenly over cherries in pan. 
Bake clafouti until custard is set and top is golden brown, about 45-55 minutes for cake pan or 30 minutes for ramekins.
Let cool 3 minutes, then run a knife around pan sides to loosen clafouti (if using a cake pan).
Dust top with powdered sugar, cut into wedges and serve.


Note:  Clafouti is traditionally made with unpitted cherries for added flavor.  Leave the pits in if you like; just remind your guests!


Bon Appétit!

Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!







Pin It

37 comments:

jose manuel said...

Deliciosa esta tarta, se ve deliciosa.

Saludos

Jennifurla said...

This looks to die for.

The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Love this recipe!

Holly said...

Oooh sounds yummy!! Love cherry pie so this would be a hit in my book!:)

kitchen flavours said...

Oh Pam! You are making me drool over those cherries! I have never tried clafouti before and would really love to! Cherries are not easily available over here, even if I can find them, they certainly cost a bundle! 15 pounds of cherries in your freezer? Envy..envy..!
:) have a lovely day, Pam!

Gloria said...

what amazing and delicious Clafoutis Pam, look fantastic, gloria

Pam said...

Jose Manuel, gracias! La tarta es deliciosa! Tienes un buen dia!

Jennifurla, thanks! The great thing is that it's easy to make!

TWOAD, thank you! I'm glad you like it.

kitchen flavors, thanks! I wish you had the cherries orchards by you too! It's great to pick them and then freeze for whatever use throughout the year! Or, they are available frozen at the orchards later in the season. Have a wonderful day!

Pam said...

Gloria, thank you! It makes for a wonderful dessert!

Clements Family said...

Oh that looks beautiful! Yum!!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

If you use this recipe from one of my followers I am sure you will make it again. The only thing I do not agree with is I never use milk, I use fromage frais or creme fraiche and when I use frozen cherries I put them in frozen and straight into the oven. We have it over and over again Yum yum.

http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/2010/06/super-simple-mini-clafoutis.html
Diane

Pamela said...

Dear Pam, It's certainly not a very popular dessert, I myself am not that fond, but it still a "classic". ÇI had no idea of Gwyneth's love for cooking, well, actually I don't know much about her or other stars!

Pam said...

CF, thanks so much!

Diane, I will look at your follower as the creme fraiche would work well, I bet. And also the tip about frozen cherries. Thanks so much!

Pamela, yes it is popular but I think cherry pie is much better! I did not know about Gwyneth either until I recently saw that she just published a cookbook and then the magazine article. Thanks for stopping by.

JG said...

A dessert with cherries = Yummy! It looks delicious!
~Judy

Pam said...

Judy, thanks! It seems you like cherries as much as I do!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I had this dish when I was in South Africa a couple of years ago and loved it! They fixed it in ramekins.

Pam said...

Linda, I bet they were great! I need more ramekins!

Jenn said...

I had the best cherry clafouti just recently... will definitely be trying this recipe!

Pam said...

Jenn, great and I hope you like this one too!

teresa said...

mmmm, i rarely bake with cherries, but this looks amazing!

YoungD said...

I am droooling! I can't wait to try this one, Pam! Which type of cherries do you recommend? Sour or sweet?

bellini said...

I once made Julia Childs Cherry Clafouti recipe. We just started picking local strawberries in this late Spring so cherries cannot be far behind.

Lyndsey said...

Pam I have always wanted to make a clafouti, and cherry is a good choice. It looks great! It's hard using the cherries we get down here...especially after growing up in Michigan where cherries are prime! :D

Cooking Rookie said...

Love your clafoutis! So pretty! I also made one some time ago and am procrastinating on preparing the post on my blog :-).
I also would never have guessed that Gwyneth Paltrow loves cooking from the way she looks :-)

Emily Malloy said...

This is incredibly beautiful! I must admit, I've never heard of this!

I am not wanting to try!!!

Velva said...

I made this recipe too! We were working from the same wave length. Check out my post. I used the individual ramekins. This was a great recipe. Yours looks fabulous.

I am so envious of your 15-lbs of cherries. I had to use frozen (sigh).

Velva

Pegasuslegend said...

Not only is this beautiful its totally a work of art!

Marguerite said...

Your clafouti is gorgeous and sounds divine! I am a cherry lover, too, and want to give this a try. Thanks for the great recipe!

Pam said...

teresa, thanks for stopping by!

YoungD, I use sour cherries. Thanks for the visit and have a good day!

bellini, I have to check out Julia's recipe. The cherries should be ready for picking here the first week of July.

Lyndsey, you are so right! You're definitely from the land of the best cherries! Some of the orchards here buy frozen cherries from MI orchards later in the season when supplies are short.

Cooking Rookie, nice to see you here! I will be watching to see if you post it. Yeah, I found it a little hard to believe with GP and feel maybe it's more about the $$$!

Emily, thank you! I imagine it would work with most any fruit so you must try it sometime!

Velva, yes, I saw your post. Lots of great cherry recipes in the magazine, love it!

Claudia, thank you! Have a good day!

Marguerite, hope you try it. Cherry pie is great too. Have a good day!

Danelle said...

I'm always wondering what to do with cherries besides make pie. This sounds delicious!

Pegasuslegend said...

going to try it today!

http://blogsgotheart.blogspot.com/2011/06/giveaway-and-buffalo-chicken-chili-from.html

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I read this recipe when I got my issue and wondered about it. Thanks for your review, Pam. I think I would prefer cherry pie, but it certainly is a pretty dessert.

Pam said...

This looks amazing and so beautiful too.

Karen said...

Oh, this looks so good. And... you've reminded me that I want to make cherry jam this summer!

hypnosis benefits said...

Oh my! Good looking cherry dish I must say! It certainly looks and tastes so good.

Alessandra said...

Ahhh, one of my favourite French desserts! Brava Pam!

Ciao and Happy Weekend

Alessandra

My Little Space said...

The clafouti looks beautiful. Really inviting! Slurp...
Kristy

Brownieville Girl said...

I just love clafoutis and your's looks just perfect Pam.

I think Gwyneth has a cook book out - I'd say it's good on the strength of this recipe.