all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, June 24, 2011

Boiled Salad Dressing and a Special Burger Sauce



When I read, “If you like a good tomato sandwich, it tastes great on that,” this recipe was quickly added to my “must make” list! 
This is one of those old-fashioned recipes like your grandma used to make.  It’s not only versatile, it’s easy to make and keeps indefinitely in the refrigerator.  I came by this recipe on Mitchell’s blog:  Heritage Basket & Chair Caning.  He has recipes and lots of great tips, so check out his blog!
If you want a tangy, creamy salad dressing, this is it!  It’s perfect on a roast beef sandwich, cole slaw, macaroni salads, meat salads ~ just about anything that requires salad dressing.  And then later, I have a recipe for you that puts this one to great use!

Here’s Mitchell's recipe:

BOILED SALAD DRESSING

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Boiling Water
1/2 cup Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Dry Mustard
2 Tablespoons Flour
2 Eggs
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 cup Sour Cream
1/4 cup Durkee’s  Famous Sandwich and Salad Sauce
3/4 cup Mayonnaise

Put vinegar in double boiler.
Mix dry ingredients together, beat eggs and add to dry mixture mixing to form a paste.
Add boiling water to paste and stir to mix well.
Slowly add this mixture to the hot vinegar.
Cook until thick.
Remove from stove and add butter, stir until blended.
Mix together the Sour Cream, Mayonnaise, and Durkee’s
Add this to the cooled mixture and stir until well blended.
Put into jar or jars and refrigerate, this dressing will keep indefinitely.

Mitchell’s Notes:

Durkee’s Famous Sandwich and Salad Sauce at times is hard to find. The dressing comes out great without, but the Durkee’s will give another dimension of flavor if you can find it.

Regular Dry Mustard can be used; however we have always used Coleman’s Dry Mustard Flour (British).

The recipe is easily doubled.

Also we never did use a double boiler to make this, if you watch and don’t walk away a regular pan will work just fine.

Thanks for this salad dressing recipe, Mitchell!  It’s a keeper!



Now for my recipe using Boiled Salad Dressing:





One of my favorite things on the grill is a good burger, usually a cheeseburger.  I buy Angus Beef Pub Burgers from Jewel grocery stores that are perfect for the grill.  They have just the right amount of fat to retain their moisture and they maintain their shape well when grilling. 

Grill the burger, top it with a red onion slice, and spread it with a tangy sauce, makes it ambrosial.  This sauce is really zesty and delicious ~ it has some heat with the 3 teaspoons of adobo sauce so adjust according to your taste.

I hope you give it a try!  It’s fine made with regular mayonnaise but even better made using Mitchell’s Boiled Salad Dressing!


Special Burger Sauce
Adapted from Bon Appétit

Ingredients:

½ cup Boiled Salad Dressing (recipe above) or mayonnaise
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon finely grated onion
1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
3 teaspoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Method:

Combine ingredients in a medium bowl and serve with burgers.



There’s nothing like a good burger from the grill, topped with this sauce!


ENJOY!!!


Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!






Pin It

30 comments:

  1. Dear Pam: This dressing sounds amazing, it must be delicious, plenty of calories, sinfully atractive , I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummers! Love a quick and easy dressing made with ingredients found in the fridge and pantry that will also last! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great recipe for the 4th love it havent tried something like this before thanks Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to look for that Durkee's sauce- that salad dressing looks like it would be great in potato salad. :)
    Your "special sauce" looks delicious too- I'm wishing for a burger now that I've seen yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Pam, that was so nice of you, and I am glad that you made it and liked it that much!! I want to try the Special Hamburger sauce!!
    Also over the years I have been tempted to take some of it and put horseradish in it( love horseradish) and see what that might be like also,but you have given me the idea for sandwich spread made from it as well as possibly a tartar sauce also. I think you could use this as a base dressing for a good many variations. You are so kind Pam and a Special Friend!!
    Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine many uses for this wonderful boiled dressing. Those burgers and sauce look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Pam, when I saw that the first ingredient was 3/4 cup of sugar I had to pass on it. I'm sure it was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good...full of flavor. Not sure about the dressing though, you know I'm a mayo girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That burger sauce looks delicious! My mother used to make a similar dressing and we loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow an amazingly decadent and delicious burger sauce! Thanks for sharing.

    This is my first time on your blog. I really enjoyed it. I am following you so I can keep up with your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, YUMM-O!! and thanks for the blog recommendation :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ye, thank you for the blog recommendations :-)


    ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pamela, yes, there's no shortage of calories with any of this but it really is good!

    H&H, glad you you like it and thanks for stopping by!

    Betty, I'm sure it would be delicious in potato salad. Unfortunately, I had no luck with the Durkee's.

    Mitchell, thanks again for the recipe; I love it! Yes, horseradish would work and tartar sauce and on and on. I'll add it to tuna and pasta salad next. UMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delish! Bookmarked both of them for later use. Hope you're having a great weekend.
    Blessings,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan, thanks! I hope you try it!

    Stephen, I understand and seldom use much sugar. Have a good weekend!

    Lyndsey, this is good but you gotta' do what you gotta' do!

    Cathy, bet hers was good also.

    Rebecca, yes it is.

    The Slow Roasted Italian, great! I'm so glad you stopped by and enjoyed your time here. I will be doing the same your way!

    Gail, you're welcome! Have a good weekend!

    Alessandra, and you're welcome also. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of these sauces look divine and I am adding them to my "Pam file"! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pam look absolutely delicious, I love it! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  18. These both look wonderful, Pam. I haven't seen Durkee’s for ages, but I'm going to look for it now.
    Off to visit Linda.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great, but I'm a fan of mustard in just about anything that's savory.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well this has changed my barbecue menu for tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds a flavorful sauce - a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sauce has so many uses. It sounds delicious and it is very easy to do. I'll have to give this a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never heard of boiled salad dressing, but I am intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love different sauces on my burgers, and I love adobo peppers, so I'll definitely be trying the special sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW..this has everything but the kitchen sink in it..I agree, this would be great on a good burger.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kristy, hope you'll like them and that your weekend is a good one!

    Marguerite, lol! Great! I've got a Marguerite file!

    Gloria, thank you!

    Barbara, yes, it's hard to find!

    Buttercup, oh, I love mustard too!!!

    bellini, it's spicy good! Hope your weekend is a good one!

    CC, you said it, it is!

    Mary, it's very easy and good. I used it today in potato salad, yum!

    Julie, I never had heard of it before either, and I'm glad I saw it.

    Danelle, since you like adobo peppers, I bet you'll really like the sauce!

    MaryBeth, guess that's why it's so good. Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have inspired me with both of these sauces! My mind is spinning with all the delicious recipes I could add it to.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hai Dear

    This looks yummy....you have a lovely blog...Please check out my blog..It is for food lovers and person who love to cook..You could find so many recipes that you can easily try at home..I update this blog on a regular basis…So please follow me and motivate me..Thank you
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com

    Aarthi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing dressing. Like grandma used to make you say? that's the ultimate seal of approval right there!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam