all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, May 20, 2011

Shrimp and Sweet Pea Sauté




Until the local farmer’s markets are open here, I’m using frozen sweet peas and canned tomatoes in this dish.   In about 4 weeks, the farmer’s markets will open here and I can hardly wait for all the great local vegetables that will be available this summer.  I like the fact that I can financially support the local farmers who work so hard to produce their delicious bounties of the growing season!

It’s a beautiful blend of colors in this shrimp dish and I’m not sure whether the peas or the shrimp is the star here because they both add mouthwatering flavors.  Sugary sweet peas and succulent shrimp are a great marriage and a few more ingredients make it even better. 

We favor this served over pasta but rice or orzo compliment it also.  Here’s the recipe: 

Shrimp and Sweet Pea Sauté 

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 green onions, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¾ cup chicken broth
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
2 cups frozen sweet peas, thawed
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
¾ pound pasta, cooked according to package directions

Method:

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the shrimp and cook for a couple of minutes, until the
are pink and opaque.  
They do not have to be cooked through at this point.
Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Place green onions in skillet and sauté for one minute.
Add lemon juice and chicken broth and stir until well heated.
Add tomatoes and peas, cooking until hot and peas ar
tender.
Meanwhile, cook pasta until desired consistency.
Add crushed red pepper and salt and pepper.
Return shrimp to skillet and cook for a couple of minutes
until shrimp are cooked through and sauce has thickened.
Serve over pasta. 

ENJOY!!!


Visit my friend Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!

Pin It

23 comments:

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Looks colorful and delicious! I am also looking forward to the farmers markets to opening soon. Have a great weekend!

Caroline B. said...

This dish is beautifully colored and it looks absolutely fantastic! Caro

kitchen flavours said...

This is a beautiful pasta dish. We love shrimp, and I know this will be a winner in my house. Have a nice day, Pam!

Jeannie said...

THis is really one pasta dish that I could eat all by myself, every single shrimp and pea! looks so delicious!

StephenC said...

Frozen peas are a godsend, as are some good canned tomatoes. We too are looking forward to some fresh produce. We've started to get some. And I would walk a mile to eat shrimp any day.

Angela/Soap Mom's Kitchen/Sutherland Soap Creamery said...

What a wonderful, colorful, Spring dish. It sounds delicious!

Leslie said...

THat looks fantastic Pam!! I love anything with Peas or shrimp!
Have a fantastic weekend.

Pam said...

Biren, thanks! I'm so ready the farmers markets to open and warm weather too!

Caro, thanks and have a good weekend!

kitchen flavors, thanks! Shrimp is so good and easy too. Have a great weekend!

Jeannie, I know what you mean! The mix of flavors is so good in this. Enjoy your weekend!

StehpenC, absolutely! Lucky you for having the produce this early. I'm sure you get great fresh shrimp in your area! Have a good weekend!

Angela, thank you! It's a great dish for this time of year.

Leslie, I'm with you on that and you have a fantastic weekend also!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

This looks pretty! I don't cook enough with shrimp, thanks!

Whosyergurl said...

YUM. Looks delic! Do you deliver? ;-)
xo, Cheryl

Pegasuslegend said...

this sounds like something we would love Pam~

Pam said...

Debbi, thanks! Have a great weekend!

Whosyergurl, thanks! Wish I could!

Claudia, thanks and have a fun weekend!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

This looks like it came from my favorite pasta restaurant! I love the blend of flavors you have in this recipe! You are lucky to have a farmers market in your area. I hear a rumor that we may be getting a monthly farmers market in our town, but I haven't seen any advertizements for it.

Melynda said...

What a lovely spring meal, thanks!

Pam said...

Linda, we are lucky to have quite a few farmers markets in the area, they're great! Hope one comes your way soon.

Melynda, thanks, we like it!

Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

Happy weekend! Don't forget to come over and share a recipe at Savory Sunday!!

Monet said...

I have a bag of frozen peas ready to go. This looks so tasty, Pam. I can't wait till we get fresh peas here too! Thank you for sharing with me tonight...I'm sorry I've been gone so long! Your blog continues to bring a smile to my face. I hope you have a blessed Sunday!

My Little Space said...

Pam, this sounds simply delish. I bet you can spend more time with your grandson. Enjoy your weekend.
Blessings, Kristy

Pam said...

Amanda, thanks and have a wonderful day!

Monet, thanks so much! Hope you're having a great day!

Kristy, thanks! Yes, he is a great little fun guy. Here's wishing you a super day and week ahead!

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Vibrantly colorful and flavorful shrimp dish.

Pam said...

Lazaro, thanks!

Marguerite said...

You know how I love shrimp and this is a beautiful dish and it looks divinely delicious, too! Thanks for the great recipe!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Pam, you hit my soft spot - shrimp! This dish looks absolutely delicious! I'll be making this soon! Thanks for a great recipe!