all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mojo de Ajo






I am hooked on this stuff! 

A while back, I was watching “Mexico – One Plate at a Time” on PBS when Chef Rick Bayless of Frontera Grill in Chicago, along with his daughter, made Mojo de Ajo.  The title of the show was “Liquid Gold” and believe me, it is!

 If you are crazy about garlic infused olive oil and haven’t made it yourself, now is the time!  This is soooo good!  Rick says that he always has a jar of it in the refrigerator and from now on I will also.  It can be used to sauté about any meat, vegetables, pasta dishes or even on pizza.

Mojo de Ajo (garlic sauce) keeps in the refrigerator for 3 months.  It is easy to make and definitely worth its weight in gold.  Here are some suggestions for using it:

  • Dipping sauce for bread.
  • Spread over pizza crust and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
  • A brushetta topping.
  • Add it to soups.
  • Toasted French bread.
  • Brown a roast in it.
  • Add it to salad dressings.
  • Over most meats:  steak, chicken, pork.
  • With vegetables:  roast potatoes slathered with mojo de ajo.
  • Add it to pasta sauces.
  • With fish and seafood, such as shrimp scampi.
  • Marinades.
  • On popcorn!

You can use it for practically anything.  If you really like garlic the way I do, you have got to try this!  In Rick’s words:  “take it out of refrigerate and enjoy some deliciousness.” 







Mojo de Ajo
(Garlic Mojo or Liquid Gold) 

Ingredients:

4 large heads garlic 
OR 10 ounces (about 1¾ cups) peeled garlic cloves
2 cups fruity olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup lime juice

Method:

Heat oven to 325 degrees.
Break the heads of garlic apart, then mash each clove (a fist against the side of a knife is what I do) to release the clove from its paper skin.
If using already-peeled garlic, scoop the cloves into a heavy recloseable plastic bag and use a rolling pin to mash them slightly.
Stir together the garlic, oil and salt in an 8x8-inch pan (make sure the garlic is submerged).
Slide it into the oven and bake until the garlic is soft and lightly brown, about 45 to 55 minutes.  (Mine browned in 40 minutes.)
Add the lime juice and return to the oven for 20 minutes for the garlic to absorb the lime and turn golden brown.

Using an old-fashioned potato masher or large fork, mash the garlic into a coarse puree.
Pour the mixture into a wide-mouth storage container and refrigerate it until you’re ready to use it.
This mojo will keep for up to 3 months in the refrigerator as long as there’s enough oil to keep the garlic covered.
When you want to use it, you can let it come to room temperature (because the oil solidifies in the fridge) or just use scoops of the solid oil, which melts when it starts to heat up in the pan.

Makes about 3 cups 

If you really like garlic the way I do, you have got to try this!




Be sure to visit my friend Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!

Pin It

35 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this! I have a few heads of garlic from last year's garden and this will be a great way to use them before the new garlic is ready to harvest. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, My wife and I both love garlic...garlic anything! This sounds terrific... Thanks for the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesante preparación, se ve deliciosa.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually just make it with garlic. I can't wait to try it with the lime juice! My mind is spinning with all the recipes I want to try the oil with. Thanks for another inspiring recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet that is good!!!!! I am going to mix some up and give it a try!
    Happy Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Mexico, Mexican food and anything garlic related. I can't believe how easy this looks to do and I feel I can taste it from here. Can't wait to give this a try. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Mexico One Plate at a Time! I'll have to try this one, it sounds very versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definately saving this one, do you mind if I share it with a few friends?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, just browsing through my side bar and found this thought it would go well with your post!
    http://theroamingbelly.blogspot.com/2011/05/hawaii-giovannis-aloha-shrimp-truck.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love garlic so this is a must, thanks. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will be perfect for me as I adore garlic oil. Thank you for sharing as I definitely will be making this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pam,
    what is "fruity" olive oil? Maybe you could write about olive oils, sometime? I LOVE oil and dipping bread in it. I always only use extra light olive oil. Heard that was good and that is all I buy. Tell me more about olive oil, please. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks fabulous! I'll ahve to try it.

    ps I have a giveaway! :o)
    http://www.beholdthemetatron.com/2011/05/foodie-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. My girls were at the beach yesterday . . . and ran into Rick Bayless.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Annie, yes! This would be perfect for using them!

    David, this is great for us garlic lovers. It's so good for a little saute.

    jose manuel, gracias! Es muy bueno!

    Linda, the lime definitely adds to it and I hope you try it!

    Leslie, I bet you will like it! Have a good week!

    Katrina, me too! Yes, it's easy, easy and soooo good!

    Carol, it's versatility is great. It adds a wonderful flavor to many foods.

    1-2Punch, not at all, share it! Oh, Hawaii and aloha got my attention so I will be looking your way.

    Diane, hope you make it, you'll really like it, I'm sure!

    Bridgett, great! I love that it keeps so well in the fridge and is so tasty!

    Cheryl, there are so many opinions/facts about olive oil so maybe this site will be of help: http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/oils/olive-oil-flavors.asp

    Kris, great!

    Glenda, lucky for your girls! I would love to meet Rick! It was a good day at the beach for them I bet! I think warm weather is finally here! Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Pam, I love this mojo, but I always prepare just a small amount, I never thought it could be kept in the fridge:great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i totally love this! i have a feeling we would use it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds really good and I can think of so many uses for this flavored oil. Hope you had a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds great! I love garlic! Will give this one a try! Thank you, Pam! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! I'm from Philippines. I just started blogging. Please follow me. :) And I'll follow you too! :) eaternalfeast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I can totally see this on my bruschetta and why your hooked on it ...! sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pam - great post. We love garlic everything - except perhaps ice cream. My garlic crop will be coming out of the ground in the next couple of weeks and some of it will be used for this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, this sounds sinfully good and I will definitely be making it! Yum! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Adorei.Tenha um feliz dia. Um abraço, Marta.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This would be handy to have on hand!
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this...we must have been kindred culinary spirits from an alternate universe!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Adoro este molho.Tenha um bom fim de semana. Um abraço,Marta.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I usually just make it with garlic. I can't wait to try it with the lime juice!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pam, this looks wonderful. Can't wait to try it. How about those lilacs? Would you mind if one of your readers got that image (grin)? It is always so fun to visit your blog. Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yum, this looks good and a great flavour addition for so many dishes!

    Well, I love garlic and Olive oil so...

    happy weekend
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful blog! I love Mojo de Ajo first time I tried it on Tenerife. Now I use it always.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this recipe, Pam. What a great way to have intensely flavored oil all ready to use. If its one of Rick's recipe I know it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love garlic! Thanks for this recipe, Pam.. I'm going to the kitchen right now to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Cheri, no problem, that's fine!


    I'm so glad all of you like this and I hope you try it. Thanks so much for all of your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG...I would eat the entire dish my self. I simply love all things garlic!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam