all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cuban-Style Roast Pork



I am fond of Cuban food so when I see a recipe for it, I am attracted like a moth to a flame.  This pork recipe definitely has a Cuban flair and delivers a succulent roast with a punch that is adapted from a recipe in the Chicago Tribune a while back. 

This is a full flavored-combination of garlicky citrus-infused pork that becomes fork tender after roasting.  Although I made this in the oven since it has been so chilly and rainy here for grilling, it would be just as good (better?) if done on the grill.  Then I let it marinade at least 4 or 5 hours and hand it over to Bill who is the master of our grill. 


By the way, are any of you familiar with pork roast supreme?  I’ve roasted a lot of pork over the years but this is the first time I’ve ever seen a “supreme” roast.  The butcher told me that it is similar to a loin roast but has more fat which keeps the meet from drying out.  He was right; it was very moist and tender.

This is not really food related but I just want to share with you a photo of the lilacs I picked from one of our lilac bushes yesterday.  They are definitely one of my favorite flowers and now their intoxicating smell drifts through the house just like it’s clinging in the air outside.  To me there is absolutely nothing like the heavenly scent of lilacs in the spring time!  Here’s hoping you too can take time to smell the lilacs!!!



Cuban-Style Pork Roast 

Ingredients:

1-1/3 cups lime juice
2/3 cup orange juice
1½ teaspoons ground dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 pork roast supreme boneless, about 3 pounds
1 onion, sliced into rings

Method:

Mix all the ingredients except the pork, onion and garlic sal
in a bowl.
Using a long think knife, make deep gashes all over the flesh.
Season the pork with garlic salt and place in a deep bowl.
Pour marinade over the pork, spreading onion rings over the
top.
Cover well and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 
hours.
Remove pork from marinade and transfer to a baking dish.
Place the marinade in a saucepan and add the onions.
Heat to a boil, cook 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and arrange onions over roast and spread
some marinade over the roast.
Reserve remaining marinade for a basting sauce.
Place roast in 350 degree oven.
Baste every 15 minutes or so.
Bake for 1 hour or more until meat thermometer registers 150
degrees.  (The meat temperature will rise another 10 degrees while it rests.)
Slice and serve.

ENJOY!!!



Be sure to visit my friend Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!

29 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

This roast looks supreme. Some of our favorite recipes have come from the newspaper. Thanks for sharing this one.

fondly,
Glenda

StephenC said...

What a remarkable day - home run after home run among the bloggers I follow. Yours is another of them.

Mr. Bill said...

That's a Pork Roast Recipe with my name written all over it! Thanks Pam...you have the best offerings.

Pegasuslegend said...

I have never seen a pork recipe here I didn't love! Great job again!

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

My lilacs are gone but so fantastic while they lasted! The pork roast looks amazing, love the smothered onions, so good.

Cathy said...

Darn, I wish I had waited to cook the pork roast that I prepared last weekend. I thought it lacked flavor, not the case if I had tried this yummy recipe. The citrus marinade sounds wonderful.

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

My grandmother used to put lilacs from her glorious garden in my room all the time. thanks for the fond memory.

This pork looks and sounds delicious. I mean you can't ever go wrong with an awesome pork roast, but Cuban style? Wow, yummy!

Jeannie said...

No lilacs in my garden, unfortunately, yours looks lovely and the pork delicious!

My Little Space said...

Pam, I want those lilacs and the pork dish on my table at the same time. You don't mind right! :o) Hope you're enjoying your day of spring.... with your grandson.
Blessings, Kristy

Kelly said...

I absolutely adore lilacs. Growing up my grandmother had a huge bush and as a result, it's always been one of those smells that holds a lot of nostalgia for me. Someday I'd love to have some huge lilac bushes of my own, so thanks for the reminder. :-)

I also adore cuban-style roast pork. I have a recipe I've been making for awhile that uses a combination of citrus juices. It's delicious. And even better, I love when there are leftovers for cuban sandwiches. Mmm.

Pamela said...

Sorry to hear the weather is goofing around, we'll wait to enjoy Bill's skills on the barbecue. But this roast is amazing, I really will have to try it. I'm a fan of Cuban food myself, while I read along I was imagining the rice and black beans on the side. Big hug dear friend

jose manuel said...

Que rico plato, una delicia.

Saludos

Marguerite said...

This roast looks fabulous! Love the marinade and your lilacs are just lovely! Hope you get some sunshine, soon! :)

Sook said...

It always makes me hungry whenever I see sauteed onions... My husband hates them so I don't eat them as much anymore... Yum! I can almost smell this meal..

Lyndsey said...

Pam, it looks great! I love Cuban-style pork roast. I do like getting them from a butcher where they leave more fat on them to roast.

What beautiful flowers I can remember how good they smell. I miss lilacs...we had several bushes of them when I was growing up in Michigan.

David said...

Pam, Thanks for the Cuban Pork Roast recipe! Sounds and looks great and it's our favorite meat... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Pam said...

Glenda, thanks! You're right, the Trib usually has something good.

Stephen, great! Love those home runs, esp. concerning the Cubs!

Mr. Bill, it does! Glad you like it!

Claudia, thanks! We're kind of hooked on anything pork.

Carol, they surely don't last long in the house but they're pretty awesome!

Cathy, thank you. It sounds like you're another pork lover also.

Katrina, what a grandma; how nice of her! Yes, I like the Cuban thing going on with this.

Jeannie, wish I could send you some lilacs, you'd love them!

Kristy, right on! Wish I could deliver both to you. The lilacs' aroma is incredible this year, very strong and fragrant!

Kelly, I hope you get your lilac bushes. They're the best, pretty and a great smell. You're so right about Cuban sandwiches, they are so delicious with the blend of meat and cheese and have to have that pickle too!

Pamela, it's stormy this afternoon and I'm really ready for sun and warm days!! Thanks, this would be great with beans. I'm glad you stopped by and hugs to you also!

jose manuel, gracias! Muy bueno!

Marguerite, thanks! Maybe you could send some sunshine and warm weather here! Have a good evening!

Sook, oh, I cook with onions about every day, in a salad or something and love them sauteed. You'll just have to fix them for yourself I guess.


Lyndsey, I so agree. The roasts are much different now than years ago. Just wish I could send some lilacs to you. They are gorgeous and sooo fragrant this year. Yankee Candle has one with lilac aroma, it's great!

David, Thanks! We loved it and it makes great sandwiches left over! Have a good evening!

JG said...

The citrus flavored marinade sounds like a wonderful addition to pork!

Lilacs are so pretty. Spring is here. :)
~Judy

Esi said...

This sounds really flavorful

BuyWoWAccount said...

I would love it's smell and flavor with all those onions. I may not be an onion lover but I like them on recipes like that. Surely sounds delicious!

Buy WoW Account

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Lilacs are my favorite flower. We don't have a bush at our house, so my husband will go to our friends house and pick them for me. We eat a lot of pork, and this recipe is one I will be trying soon! YUMMY!

teresa said...

those flavors look killer, what a delicious dish!

bellini said...

Viva le Cuba!!!!

Rita said...

I really don't know much abaout cuban food, but this recipe is now on my must try soon list. Looks fantatic

Kathleen said...

This looks like one amazing way to have pork!

Pam said...

Judy, I just hope the spring time weather starts warming up! Thanks for stopping by!

Esi, thanks so much!

WoW, great! Thanks!

Linda, what a wonderful husband to do that for you! I can't get enough of the lilacs this spring, they've been incredible!

teresa, thank you and have a great weekend!

bellini, si!!!

Rita, Cuban food is a blend of Spanish, African and Caribbean cuisines. Spicy, lots of pork and veggies like plantain and yucca. Very good food!

Kathleen, thanks! It's really good!

Chris said...

The mojo used with Cuban pork roasts is just amazing, isn't it? Nice job!

Betty @ scrambled henfruit said...

This pork roast looks delicious! The flavors in the marinade are fabulous. I love lilacs too. :)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Love this combo with pork. I once did something similar with tacos. Now I'm wondering if I want something quicker than a loin roast if I could use a tenderloin with a citrus marinade. You got the gears turning in my head!