all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, April 25, 2011

Smothered Cube Steaks



The days are still chilly and rainy here and there’s not much cooking on the grill yet.  If I can’t have cube steaks on the grill, here’s the next best way to serve them.  It’s the comfort food way for sure. 

Cube steaks are not shaped like cubes at all, which is what you would think upon being introduced to them the first time.  Instead, cube pertains to the imprint on the meat when it goes through a tenderizing machine.  The steaks are more oval with jagged edges.  


Uncle Jake & Aunt Phyl


Regressing to the grill ~ one time, years ago, when we visited Uncle Jake and Aunt Phyl at their home in Pickerington, Uncle Jake said he was throwing cube steaks on the grill for the cookout at their pool party.  Who could imagine?  I’d never heard of anyone grilling them and thought they would be dry and tough.  I was wrong and they were great!

 This cube steak recipe I have for you today bakes cube steaks into a savory tenderness smothered in gravy with tasty mushrooms in the mix.  If you like cube steak, you must try this version ~ they’re as tender as a mother’s love! 

Smothered Cube Steaks 

Ingredients:

4 cube steaks
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ can milk
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon pepper

Method:

Place steaks in a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
In a bowl, mix together remaining ingredients.
Pour mixture over cube steaks.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.


ENJOY!!!




Visit my friend Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway! 




Pin It

29 comments:

  1. I have never been happy with cube steaks I've cooked at home, although I did grow up eating them. Any secrets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having just re-read your recipe, I realize my question is pointless. It's the soup, the long baking. I'll do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your comfort food recipe. I also learned something new. I would have never thought to put cube steaks on the grill. I will have to try that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this comfort food dish, Looks heavenly and filling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had cube steaks, grilled or otherwise, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious + easy = perfect

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so deliciously southern it makes my mouth water! I would have never thought to put a cubed steak on the grill but now I will.

    At least we had sunshine for Easter. Today, rain and gray again.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Que jugoso se ve el plato, fabuloso.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do the same recipe in a skillet on the stove top. I brown the meat, add the remaining ingredients, then cover with a lid and cook on low for an hour. I am going to give your version a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, LOVE the fact that this isn't fried!!! I am totally saving this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, thanks, they are!

    Stephen, you got it! Hope you try it and like it!

    Susan, I was pretty amazed with how good they are on the grill. Hope you try it!

    Jennifurla, yeah, good for this weather, for sure.

    Carol, they're good once in a while for something different.

    Glenda, I couldn't have said it better! Thanks!

    Bonnie, you're so right, this is southern all the way! I am sure one of these days it will be in the 80's here and stay there; we'll go from heat to air the same day and straight from winter to fall. Have a great rest of the week!

    jose manuel, gracias! Me encanta esta la carne.

    Linda, sounds like yours is a winner to me! Hope all is well your way!

    Siggy Spice, great! I hope you give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Comfort food is always good no matter what the weather.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  13. yuuuuum! i really should blog surf when it's late and i'm hungry. i could gobble this right up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only way I've ever had cube steak is as chicken fried steak - so I really want to try this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Serious comfort food Pam - looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love new recipes for cube steaks and both my boys will love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love new recipe for cube steaks this recipe sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never liked cube steaks as a kid and haven't had them in years. I suspect part of my dislike had to do with how they were cooked and seasoned. No one served them to me like this. I'm sure it would have helped change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love cube steak. It is inexpensive. Love this easy recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maravilhosa esta receita, adorei. Abraços. Marta.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks good. :)
    Sorry for not visiting recently.
    Too busy at work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cube steaks are one of my all time favorite meals! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to eat cube steaks a lot when I was young and studying and poor. I bought one recently and was first floored by the price, it was crazy expensive for a cube steak.

    This recipe may have worked, my approach was much different and so terrible I gave it to the dogs. LOL.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've grilled them like that too. I read about someone doing burgers that way and it works.

    ReplyDelete
  25. that looks so delicious and comforting. Adding it to my recipe box and stumbling it. I am your newest follower, I am loving all of your recipes. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love recipes like this!! so yummy and cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi there,
    Looking to make this today...can of milk? Condensed milk? Evaporated? Regular?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made this tonight & we all loved it. I doubled it for our large family. I pan fried the cube steaks to carmelize them a little, covered the pan with foil & baked for 45 min. Other than that I followed the recipe. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam