all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, March 21, 2011

Potatoes and Turnips with Bacon

It’s still chilly in this area and I’m still cooking heartier dishes even though spring is officially here now.  Turnips just may be the most underrated of vegetables.  If you aren’t crazy about them, I hope this recipe will change your mind!




Pairing turnips with potatoes is like a marriage made in heaven!  With one bite, you can have the subtle bitter, yet slightly sweet taste of the turnip and the earthy flavor of the potato.  Let them mingle with salty smoky bacon and they ooze an intense goodness.

This is a simple recipe with the wine vinegar and sugar adding a tasty sweet/sour sauce to the vegetables and bacon.  There are a lot of pleasant flavors going on in this recipe and here’s hoping you give it a try ~ it’s a cinch to make!



Potatoes and Turnips with Bacon

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
5 slices bacon, cut into 1/2” pieces
1 small onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 pound turnips, peeled, cut into 1” chunks
1 pound small red potatoes, cut into 1” chunks
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Method:

In small bow, mix vinegar and sugar.  Set aside.
Sauté bacon until crisp.  Set aside.
Add onion and garlic to skillet, cook until tender.
Add potatoes and turnips and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
On medium-low heat, cover and cook until almost tender, stirring frequently, about 15-20 minutes. 
Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables and toss.
Add bacon.
Check for seasonings.
Continue cooking until browned and slightly crisp, another 8 minutes or so.
Serve

YUM!!!  DELICIOUS!!!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway! 





Pin It

20 comments:

  1. My foreign exchange students love any recipe with potatoes in it. They have never had turnips, so this would be a perfect recipe to make for them.

    Have a Great Week Pam!
    Linda

    Giveaway
    Link

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love turnips in with mashed potatoes so I don't see why this wouldn't be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can I make a confession here, I'm not sure I have ever had a turnip! There I said it! This dish looks awesome - love potatoes and bacon mixed with ANYTHING!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yammy Yammy! Love potatoes with chilly and turnips, great Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good, I believe I could almost eat turnips prepared this way. Funny but I like turnip greens but don't care for the root. I'm making your white bean soup tonight with my homemade smoked sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Que plato de patatas tan rico, se ve estupendo.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really nice with the vinegar and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, I bet the girls are really enjoying your cooking and having a blast. You have a great week also!

    Donnie, now I have to try the turnips in mashed potatoes. Sounds good!

    Pegasuslegend, thanks!

    Design Wine and Dine, you have change that and give them a try. I so agree with the potatoes and bacon!

    Zia Elle, thanks and have a good week!

    Big Dude, too funny---I've never had turnip greens. Ummmm! I'd like dinner at your house tonight! Hope you like the bean soup, I'm sure it will be great with your sausage. Let me know how it is!

    jose manuel, gracias y saludos.

    Bo, yes, it's really good with all the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does my heart good to find someone who likes turnips (and presumably rutabagas and parsnips). We made a mash of potato and turnip last week and thought it was heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure i've eaten turnip? but this looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephen, I just knew you'd be a turnip fan! They're great raw or cooked with just a little salt and pepper and I like the other 2 also. Your mash sounds heavenly!

    muppy, you have to give them a try! They have great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH, I love it...it's like a kicked up version of the German Potato Salad I love so much =) Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love this and eat the whole thing, but, my husband won't even come close to eating turnips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think there's a root vegetable that I don't like! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Potatoes and turnips have always been a favorite combination in my kitchen but always mashed never thought of roasting them. Thanks for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Taking in vegetables on a daily basis would also make you fit. It doesn’t have to follow that you will always eat veggies daily, and every meal. This would not be too enjoyable for the kids. So instead of giving veggies in their actual appearance, try “hiding” them in salads or soups. And instead of having sauces or gravies, serving salsas would be heaps healthier. The presence of healthy fruit juices instead of sodas would also be wiser.

    Healthy cooking tips

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a big fan of turnips. My dad and I used to eat the turnip bottoms raw with salt when I was little. I think it's an under rated vegetable for sure.

    I always throw some turnips in with roasted veggies. I will give this a try. I have a pork loin in the fridge that need a nice accompaniment!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi I found your blog on a blog I can't remember the name right now, she lives in France, and I saw you on her blog roll, I just love your recipes, just good down home cooking. My name is Mitchell I have the Heritage Basket Studio & Chair Caning Blog, which also includes recipes(many of which come from my Old Order Mennonite Heritage, and also gardening, home canning and art.
    you can see my blog at
    http://hbs1991.wordpress.com
    Mitchell

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam