all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chicken and Wild Rice Hotdish

Have you heard of a “hot dish?”




It’s simply a baked casserole containing a starch, meat, vegetables and canned soup that here in the Midwest we call a “hot dish.”  The history of a hot dish goes back to the days when “budget-minded” wives needed to feed their families as well as their congregations in the church basement.   

This chicken and wild rice dish combines great texture and flavor and really hits the spot.  It’s a versatile recipe to which you can add a cup of chopped celery, a can of sliced water chestnuts and a cup of walnuts or almonds, if you like.  Or, add a can of French style green beans, chopped green pepper or a cup of cheddar cheese.  I keep it pretty simple with few ingredients. 

This dish is Midwest all the way!  It’s that time of year when we need a hearty entree like this to warm us up after being out in the cold weather.  It’s a delicious hot dish that’s just as delicious left-over!


Chicken and Wild Rice Hot Dish

Ingredients:

4 skinned and boned chicken breasts
1 cup onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 (6-ounce) packages uncooked long-grain and wild rice mix (I used Uncle Ben’s)
2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth with roasted garlic
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced

Method:  

Brown chicken in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Remove from pan and cut into bite-size pieces.
Add onion and garlic to pan.
Sauté 2-3 minutes or until tender.  Mix with chicken. 
Blend rice mix and remaining ingredients in a large greased casserole dish.
Add chicken mixture and combine.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until heated through.
Makes 6 servings

ENJOY!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway! 






Pin It

30 comments:

Gloria said...

Pam this look absolutely nice!! huggs, gloria

Clements Family said...

I have never heard the term hot dish! That looks great!

Suldog said...

Sure, I remember My Mom trying one or two of those sorts of recipes from a Campbell's Soup can. Nothing great, but nothing too bad, either, as I recall.

Pegasuslegend said...

Wow does this ever look great. I have to tell you that wild rice is my all time favorite I just made it with leg of lamb this past Sunday and this is a must try next time!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I have never heard of this but so simple and I am sure so tasty. Diane

Lynda said...

Yes to the hot dish! I have numerous recipes for different casseroles, or hot dishes, and they scream comfort food. Perfect eating on cold days. I love Uncle Bens wild rice, so I know this will be a very tasty dish.

Design Wine and Dine said...

Mmmm! I could use a hot dish right about now! This looks so good and like back in the day, it still is a quick and delicious (and budget friendly) way to feed the entire family! YUM!

jose manuel said...

Delicioso este plato.

Saludos

Keri said...

Pam, your blog looks AMAZING! I know I've said this before, but this is without a doubt one of THE absolute best recipe blogs on the planet. No kidding,

Keri

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love a good hot dish!! :)

Cooking Gallery said...

I've never heard of this 'hot dish', but it sounds really good!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I have never made this dish with wild rice before. My mom always used white rice. I am going to have to give it a try!

Giveaway drawing on my blog on Friday!
www.mykindofcooking.com

Lisa said...

I had never heard of a hot dish before but it sounds like a great idea for the dinner table.

Donnie said...

We make the same type of casseroles. Your recipe looks delicious.

Nezzy said...

We had a little lady at church who always brought this 'hot dish' to the church dinners...she called it chicken and rice. I've never heard the term 'hot dish' before.

I learned somethin' today!!! Thanks!

God bless and enjoy the day!

Giveaway...my place! :o)

Catherine said...

I love the name of this, "Hot Dish"!...I am sure there are many variations on this and your dish sounds delish! I love these old style recipes..so comforting. Blessings, Catherine

Marguerite said...

Looks and sounds fab and so versatile, too! I love that Uncle Ben's rice mix and have been using it for many years. Thanks for sharing!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

I'm actually making a slimmer version of this tonight~yay, rah hot dish. In main stream America, it's at every church carry in!

michelangelo in the kitchen said...

Wow Pam, this is hearty indeed! Very delicious yet fast and easy to make! Love your ready at hand ingredients because one can't wait too long to warm up with a hot dish like this one! Cheers!!!

Mr. Bill said...

Thanks Pam.

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Looks amazing!

Marge said...

It's funny the different names we call the same dishes. Thanks for the lesson and the recipe. This sounds great :o)

Blackswan said...

Thks for enlightening me! I've not heard of hot dish. This looks so good!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

This looks delicious and comforting, just what the doctor ordered for a cold night! Mmmmmm!

Megan said...

I've never heard of a "hot dish," but this one looks great!

SnoWhite said...

delicious -- love a good hotdish, especially wild rice!

Little Inbox said...

This is kind of one-pot-dish. :P

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I have heard of hot dish, but I always thought it contained Tater Tots for some reason. Shows what us east coasters know! Wild rice is way classier.

teresa said...

my aunt is from mn, and they eat a lot of hot dishes. this looks wonderful, and so comforting!

Joanne said...

I've never heard of a hot dish before but this looks so good that I have to try it!