all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, March 7, 2011

Mexicali Hamburger Bake

I’m hooked every time I see the word “cornbread!” 



This recipe combines one of the great flavors of the South ~ cornbread ~ with spicy Mexican flavors.  It’s exactly like having salsa with your cornbread and meat. 

I came across this in my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and couldn’t wait to try this homey quick recipe.  It’s a zippy ground beef dish with the added goodness of tomatoes, corn and cheese.  Covering it all is a smooth layer of corn bread. 

If you like cornbread and Mexican food, you’ll like this spicy dish!






Mexicali Hamburger Bake

Ingredients:

1½ pounds ground beef
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 (10 ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese, plus 3 tablespoons for topping


For corn bread topping:

½ cup yellow cornmeal
½ cup flour
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons Mexican-style cheese

For olive topping:

¼ cup each of sliced green olives, black olives and pimentos.

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add beef to a very large skillet.
Season with chili and garlic powders, salt and pepper.
Sauté beef until brown; drain off fat.
Stir in undrained tomatoes and corn; heat through.
Transfer to a greased 2-quart baking dish.

In a medium bow, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
Stir in egg, milk and oil.
Spread evenly on beef mixture.
Sprinkle with remaining 3 tablespoons cheese.
Bake, uncovered about 30-35 minutes or until topping is set.
Let stand for 5 minutes.
Scatter olive mixture over top.
6 servings


YUM!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway! 



Pin It

31 comments:

  1. You had me at cornbread too Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good. I might have to cut back on the spice a bit though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my kind of meal! I'm saving this for sure, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a very satisfying meal especially in this cooler weather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, this looks such comforting meal! Make you stay warm. Thanks so much for sharing. Hope you're having a great day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Pam! Sorry for not visiting as often as I would like, but summer has meant a house full of family visiting.

    This is a great dish, I really love Mexican food, so I will try it! Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Easy . . . Mexican . . . cornbread. You got me on all three of those words. This looks amazing and I will be adding it to my file.

    Thanks, Pam.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Si que tiene una pinta estupenda este plato.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really floats my boat. As someone who doesn't really like to bake, I'd probably use a box of cornbread mix. There's also something called spoonbread. I wonder if that could be a topping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm...this looks delicious. Gotta love a quickie meal that doesn't look (or taste) like a quickie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my please share! looks super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some of my favorite flavors, this sounds delicious. I know we'd love it in this house :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a nice hearty Winter meal, something that is needed around here, Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unlike my sweet southern mother, I've never met a cornbread that I didn't like. She, on the other hand, was aghast that anyone would put sugar in it--not me!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This really sounds interesting, on my 'to do' list. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really yummy and filling, i'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pam, Mexican comfort food! I'm not big on Olives or Pimentos...but it looked great without them. Another recipe for my wife to play with. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  18. We haven't made this in forever! I love how you forget about favorite recipes. It is cold and rainy here today and this would be so great for dinner, and I think I have all of the ingredients on hand - even better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, two in one! A complete, delicious meal! I like that it is a simple and satisfying one dish meal! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We call this tamale pie, and it's one of my favorite meals. A friends husband makes this, and it's always a treat. I've never made it, but this recipe looks simple enough even for the likes of me!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We love anything Mexican! Great blend of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i can't find cornmeal near my place, otherwise I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love a good casserole topped with cornbread. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yes, cornbread love! This looks delicious, thanks Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My husband (and I) would GO CRAZY over this! It's a great idea...taking a classic to a whole new level! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks way deliciuos. There is not much cornbread can't improve upon! Some of the best textures and flavors in one dish.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I adore mexican food but have never (surprisingly?) had cornbread. This one looks like a must-try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks fabulous Pam! Very mouthwatering delicious!
    Have great evening...
    Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love cornbread as well. This is a kid friendly dish. I know my family will love it. You always post wonderful recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just made this tonight and it's awesome! I'll link back to you when I post it but I'm going to change the name as I made some tweaks to it. Thanks so much for your awesome recipes!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam