all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, March 25, 2011

Easy, Easy Potato Pancakes



We all relish potato pancakes but, I usually dreaded making them ~ I knew there would be blood from the shredding.  Not any more!

Bill and Bubba have been asking all winter how much longer do they have to wait for me to make potato pancakes and now that it’s spring, I finally made them.

 I thought about using frozen shredded potatoes but they need to be thawed and dried well before using, which still leaves them with excess moisture.   Then I recalled seeing green bags of fresh potatoes in the dairy case at the market.  Eureka!  “Simply Potatoes” makes Shredded Hash Browns!  Perfect!

 It only took making stops at 3 stores to find a couple of bags which to me is way better than shredding potatoes on a grater and seeing my fingers shredded. And, no way would I use a mandolin; it was too scary for me and was stashed in the garage after one use because I can be a “kitchen klutz”.  So, that makes me a “chicken kitchen klutz”, I guess!

These potato pancakes were a scrumptious hit!  This is a simple recipe made easy by using the shredded “Simply Potatoes.”  I served them with applesauce and crisp fried bacon, so naturally they’re fried in bacon grease.


Easy Potato Pancakes

Ingredients:

1 bag “Simply Potatoes” Shredded Hash Browns
1/4 cup onion, chopped fine 
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
1 tablespoon canola oil
Canola oil for frying


Method:

Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat.
In a large bowl, mix potatoes, onion, flour and salt and pepper. 
In a small bowl, whisk eggs just until blended.
Add 1 tablespoon oil and stir well.
Pour egg mixture into potato mixture and stir until combined.
Drop 1/4 cup potato batter into hot oil and flatten slightly.
Can keep warm in a 200 degree oven until they are all fried.
Serve warm


YUM!!!   ENJOY!!!


Visit my friend Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway! 


For a chance to win my friend Bo’s great Le Crueset giveaway, visit Bo’s Bowl!






Pin It

34 comments:

  1. I love simple recipes that yields great flavor! This is a winner, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pam this look really mouthwatering! I think the kids really would love this! have a nice weekend! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what? I do the same thing when it comes to hash browns...and I actually really like them. I will definitely make some potato pancakes next time, because these sound wonderful. I know my oldest would love them...as he is a potatoaholic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your method makes potato pancakes so quick and easy to prepare. They are so good for breakfast and I love them with roast beef and gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMY!! love potatoes of any sort...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two words for you: they are "yes," and "yes."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I buy those same potatoes...they are a ton easier than grating them yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks wonderful delicious pancakes with potato

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need a food processor - it makes it easy to shred potatoes! These look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, this is good for my breakfast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marvelous idea for a quick meal and really delicious! Thanks Pam for this delightful instant treat! Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love easy. Those look great! I'm with ya on the grater! And the mandoline! Don't even ask me about sharp cans! Pancakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to use the food processor for grating - potatoes, cheese, carrots, it all works out great and I save my fingers and knuckles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simple....this works for me.
    They look so good and if it's made from a potatoe, then I know it is...Thanks for sharing this recipe.
    Blessings,
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Pam!! Going to use this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Pam that really looks so yummy!So simple & delicious!!Jaana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Também gosto de receitas bem simples. Um bom fim de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look so tasty. I know that my family would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely and simple way to make potato pancakes. There are a favorite at my table and I appreciate any shortcut I can find. I really have to try this. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks delicious Pam and I'll keep an eye out for these potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anything with potatoes has my vote Pam!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how I love me some potato pancakes! It's been ages since I've had them. hmmm....years to be more precise. Thanks for the hash brown tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love potatoes in any form- these potato pancakes look great! Wonderful idea to use simply potatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great solution. We do a lot of potato pancakes, especially at Chanukah, and I've had some bad shredding moments. I'll never use a mandoline -- as much as I'd like to -- I think it would be a quick trip to the emergency room.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a super idea...and fried in bacon grease, oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love potato pancakes. I made them one time and it was a big disaster. I will have to try yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love taking shortcuts when I cook and your potato find is one I will be using in the future! The first time I made potato pancakes I was 15 and I caught the stove on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those look AMAZING! I think my taste buds just died and went to heaven ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I LOVE potato pancakes! These look awesome. I wonder if I can find this product here...

    ReplyDelete
  31. I haven't had these since my babysitter made them when I was a kid... about a million years ago!

    I remember how good they were. Yours look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This recipe looks fabulous also, we tried your sour cream chicken on Sunday and it was so darn good.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great snack, even for breakfast or brunch as well. Yummm... Thanks!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam