all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, March 4, 2011

Braised Beef Shanks with Mushrooms



It’s a shame that the simpler cuts of meat are often the ones that are neglected by the food TV shows, restaurants and then by home cooks also,  who pass over the not so fancy cuts of meat in their market.  Cuts such as beef shanks are not only economical (mine were 89 cents per pound); they render inviting delectable flavors when cooked properly.  




Braising is a great way to cook tougher cuts of meat.  Braising is done by browning the meat on both sides in a hot skillet.  This helps to seal the moisture inside the meat.  Then the meat is placed in Dutch oven or pot with a lid and cooked with some liquid on low heat for a long time.  The result is a juicy, tender dish with savory rich flavors.

There are no shortcuts here with cooking time.  Just like the turtle, the long slow cooking wins the race.  It’s the lengthy cooking time in the pot that allows the meat and vegetables to coalesce into robust flavors.  Bill and I devoured his dinner with gusto.  The meat was so tender it fell off the bone with each bite.  It is a succulent hearty dish for yet another chilly windy evening!







Braised Beef Shanks with Mushrooms

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 bone-in beef shanks (about 2 pounds)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 large onion, chopped
3 carrots, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup dry red wine or beef broth
1 (14-ounce) can undrained diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
1 cup beef broth
12 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
Gnocchi, small new potatoes or rice

Method:

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
Season beef shanks with salt and pepper.
In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add beef shanks and brown on both sides.
Remove beef from Dutch oven.
Add onions, carrots and garlic to Dutch oven.
Cook and stir for a couple of minutes.
Add wine and deglaze pan by scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
Add undrained tomatoes, beef broth and beef shanks to pan.
Bring to boiling.
Cover and bake 5 hours or until beef is tender.
Add mushrooms the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
Meanwhile, cook gnocchi and strain well.
Remove beef shanks to a serving platter.
Strain vegetables from cooking liquid and spoon over meat.
Skim fat from cooking liquid and drizzle over beef shanks, vegetables and gnocchi.

ENJOY!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway! 




Pin It

28 comments:

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I am a great fan of the cheaper cuts, this sounds delicious. Diane

David said...

Pam, I'm not much into mushrooms, but I am into great looking, flavorful slow cooked meals like this. Extremely satisfying comfort food at a reasonable price! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Donnie said...

We like to use some of the old fashioned, long cooking cuts too. I imagine I could make this in the crock pot too. Do you think that would work.

Jennifurla said...

DELISH! What a gorgeous meal.

Caroline B. said...

This dish looks fabulous! I note with pleasure the recipe! Good day! Caroline B.

Susan said...

Pam, you found a great price on these shanks. Love those slow cooked meats.

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

This dish looks so thick and rich, no one would know you used a cheaper cut of meat. Perfect comfort food!

Linda
www.mykindofcooking.com

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Looks so good, it has mushrooms, I'm in!

Torviewtoronto said...

beautiful header delicious combination

Tammy said...

This looks tender and delicious Pam! Yummy!

Have a beautiful weekend.

xx,
Tammy

Jody Blue said...

That does look good and worth a try. Maybe beef shanks are the new pot roast:)

Bridgett ~ La Bella Cook said...

I always have great luck with the cheaper cuts of meat in meals like this. This is my kind of hearty dinner!

Pegasuslegend said...

Wow that is a great buy and perfect meal, bet it was so tender it fell right apart and melted in your mouth!

Big Dude said...

I made a beef shank dish back in Dec and thought I'd used all I had, then found three more packs. I notived them again just the other day thinking I need to find a recipe and cook these - no need to look any further. I especially like the gnocchi in the dish.

tt.scraps said...

Looks fab!

From the Kitchen said...

My mother used beef shanks to make a delicious vegetable beef soup. I hadn't thought of that in years! I'm so happy for the reminder and the delicious recipe.

Best,
Bonnie

scrambledhenfruit said...

Mmmmm....comfort food. :) This looks delicious!

Monet said...

Beef simmering for 5 hours just has to be good. I want a big pot of this right now! Thanks for sharing with me tonight. Enjoy your weekend...take time to rest, laugh and eat some great food!

StephenC said...

Hi, Pam. Here's a question for you: is there any reason I should be concerned about acidic ingredients in a Dutch oven (tomatoes, for example)? Got a moment to write me at scrout1944@msn.com?

Joanne said...

This is some beautiful comfort food! I would love a huge bowl.

Melynda said...

Pam this dish looks delicious. I agree about these cheaper cuts, they are often overlooked. The broth in that pan is what I would love in a big mug, so good.

Fresh Local and Best said...

This is actually one of my favorite cuts when it comes to beef stew! I love how flavorful the meat is and it helps to thicken the broth. This is a great recipe!

Brownieville Girl said...

I love a good, old fashioned stew like this, truly life affirming.

laurie said...

What a wonderful dish! I bet the house smelled great when that was cooking!

~RED~ said...

Low and slow... you can never go wrong. Your post is beautifully done, and the photos are making my mouth water.

Jenn said...

I love braising meats. As long as you are patient, they can produce some amazing tasting dishes!!

Sue said...

Pam you are a mind reader - I have a lovely large slab of braising steak, marbled with fat, ready to use for tonight's supper! Thanks for the recipe :-)

Karen said...

Mmm, this looks wonderful. I've been thinking of lamb shanks lately. just can't beat the price *and* the flavor!