all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, February 21, 2011

Murphy’s Law and Chicken Noodle Soup





As per my last post, you may know we are proud grandparents now.  Matthew was born Thursday, Feb. 10th and went home from the hospital on Saturday.  As Murphy’s Law would have it, Bill contracted the flu on Sunday, Feb 13th and passed it on to me Wednesday.

That took care of our week ~ no visiting precious baby Matthew and little cooking.  He had his first doctor’s appointment and passed with flying colors with a gain of 5 ounces.  Bill and I are cured so that means we will be making up for lost time this week in seeing “our sweet little guy.”

Thanks so much to all of you for your kind comments on my last post about Matthew.  I truly appreciate them and I see that many of you are grandparents also.  I’m so happy to join you in that!

Kind of off the subject but, since Feb. 2nd, we’ve gone from a blizzard and 21-inches of snow to negative 9 degrees, to 60 degrees to a thunderstorm yesterday.  The saying in Chicago is “if you don’t like the weather, wait a day”.  Can your area top this weather fluctuation?

Like I said, having the flu means there was little cooking here this last week and we all know what a cure-all chicken noodle soup can be for that condition.  This is an easy recipe for it and I hope it renders you all flu-free!




Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
2 celery ribs, sliced
6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
2 cups chicken, cut into bite sized chunks
2 cups wide egg noodles
Salt and pepper, to taste


Method:

Heat oil in a large sauce pan until hot.
Add onion, carrots and celery.   Cook for about 10 minutes.
Add stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add noodles and cook according to package directions.
Season with salt and pepper.
4 servings


Grandma was right; a bowl of chicken noodle soup is good medicine!





Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!






Pin It

34 comments:

TKW said...

Pam, congrats on that adorable grandson! He looks delicious! Enjoy him, and I'm so glad you are feeling better!

Betty Ray said...

Oh, how wonderful (the baby, not the flu). I'm sorry I missed the initial post about this birth. What a cutie. I'm sure you will more than make up for any lost time quickly. Congrats Grandma, he's beautiful.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Pam, what fun it will be for you to share in Matthew's life. So many events, and firsts, and happy days ahead!
Get well soon, and this soup should be marketed and sold in pharmacies! Looks so warm, nourishing and theraputic!

MªJosé said...

Felicidades por ese nieto tan bonito, si es hermoso ser padre ser abuelo tiene que ser mejor aún, disfrutarlo.
Espero que esté mejor de la gripe.
besos

bellini valli said...

I m sure you will be wanting your grandbaby hugs by now...such a cutie. As far as the weather last week I travelled on my way to work which is 15 minytes. I started off in my neighbourhood where it was blue skies, through sleet, hail and rain.

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

What bad timing to get sick! It must have made you crazy to not be able to see Matthew!

Wonderful soup recipe. Quick and easy enough to make when you are sick. You gotta love that!

Linda

Giveaway on my blog!
www.mykindofcooking.com

Pegasuslegend said...

Now that is horrible news about you both getting sick! I cant imagine the agony it was to have to wait so long to see this precious baby... glad your both on the mend now, enjoy your new bundle!

Donnie said...

Glad you're better and going to see that sweet baby. Love homemade chicken soup.

Gloria said...

I told you Pam he is soooo cute!!! congrats again! gloria

Jody Blue said...

What a little bundle of sweetness!! You are blessed indeed. I'm making chicken noodle this week, we just had 6 inches of snow and a god bowl of soup warms the soul.

Buttercup said...

So glad you and Bill are feeling better and can spend time with very adorable Matthew. Congratulations and every happy wish!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I hate Murphy he is always in the way!!! Hope you both get better very soon.

This soup sounds delicious. Diane

Sue said...

Congrats on becoming a grandma! What a beautiful baby he is! Being a grandma is the best, as you already know, but it just gets better and better:) I have 5, with 3 on the way this year! Congrats! Glad you're well now so you can get your hands(and lips) on that baby boy:)

jose manuel said...

Enhorabuena por el nieto y por la sopita.

Saludos

Jennifer said...

Congratulations! Being a Grandmom is the best! Jennifer

From the Kitchen said...

Oh Pam, I'm sure it was very difficult not to cuddle with that little sweetness! He is so adorable. I'm not a grandmother yet but, ahem, I am ready!!

Enjoy!

Best,
Bonnie

Marguerite said...

So sorry that you and your hubby had the flu, but glad that you're on the mend and having some warmer weather. Little Matthew is precious and that chicken soup looks delicious!

Lucia from Madison said...

Congrats on the bundle of joy! He has a great birthday. Mine is Feb. 10 too!

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Glad everyone is doing well, and that you'll get to hug that precious little guy!
Your soup looks like the perfect remedy for the flu!

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

congrats pam...he looks uper cute n adorable...pround grandparents...soup looks yummy n full of flavors...

Country Dreaming said...

What a cutie Matthew is. Sorry to hear about the flu but glad you are better.
Don't you just love the Midwest winters???

Enjoy your time with Matthew.

melinda

muppy said...

This looks delicious. Congrats on your gorgeous grandson :)

Patticake said...

Congratulations again, Pam!!
I'm so sorry you all had the flu! My family has also been dealing with that over the last few weeks, ugh.
I've been in the mood for chicken soup, yours looks so doable after a day at work, thanks for sharing!

Reeni said...

Congratulations on the precious addition to your family! So cute! Glad you are all feeling better - your soup looks wonderful! Homey and comforting.

Tangos Treasures said...

Congratulations on your new grandson! I must say he's adorable!!
Hope you both are feeling better!

marla said...

Congrats on your beautiful new grandbaby!! Such a sweetie. Hope you are all better & got to enjoy lots of this homemade soup.

Louanne said...

Congratulations on such a beautiful baby boy - he's perfect!
Hope you are both on the mend!

The Sugar Queen said...

Congratulations, Grandma! I'm quite partial to the name Matthew, as that is the name of my youngest. I'm glad you and your husband are feeling better so you can make up for lost time and dole the love upon that precious baby!

Tammy said...

Congratulations Pam! He is an angel...absolutely precious!
The chicken noodle soups sounds like a very comforting dish!
xx,
Tammy

Juliana said...

Pam, such a cute little baby your grandson...and the chicken soup looks fabulous :-)

Jenn said...

Matthew is adorable!!! And the soup looks pretty good too! Hope you are feeling better.

Terrianne, Call me Ree said...

Congratulations on becoming Grandma to gorgeous little Matthew, Pam. So glad you finally got over the flu so you were able to visit with the baby. That must have been an agonzing week!

My little boy is due on my birthday--July 27th. =)

Whosyergurl said...

Pam, I think I saw it on facebook and I have been meaning to stop in to congratulate you on your new precious angel! I will be a first time Grandma- due March 17. I am flying out to MD on March 31. I can hardly think about it! I almost cry every time! xoxo, Cheryl

hbs1991 said...

HI Pam,
Well you have made my mind up!! I thawed out a large pack of chicken leg quarters, the other day and don't really know what I want to do with them, now I am going to make and can chicken Noodle Soup (less the noodles) will add when I open them the jar up. This recipe made me think of it.
Mitchell
http://hbs1991.wordpress.com
current post-Boiled Salad Dressing