all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, February 7, 2011

Caramel Chocolate Trifle and the Game

The Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl, making Bill very happy!  He has always been a die-hard Packer fan even though he was raised here in northern Illinois.  






Bill asked me yesterday if I knew what the “G” stands for in the Packer logo.  I bet you are like me and assumed Green Bay.  It makes perfect sense, right?  Wrong!  The funny video below is New York Giant Tiki Barber quizzing the Green Bay Packer players.   I don’t feel so bad now that I know most of them don’t even know what it stands for.  They definitely know more about football and lived up to the "G" last night!  Here’s what the “G” stands for:






Our "hostess with the mostest" of the Super Bowl party we attended asked me to bring a dessert.  I knew Carla really meant a CHOCOLATE dessert.  From above, this trifle looks like chopped bits of candy but, a look at the side view shows all of its delicious layers!







This trifle is stacked with devil’s food cake chunks, chocolate pudding, a whipped topping and caramel ice cream topping with plenty of English toffee bits scattered on top.  It’s multiple layers of color, textures and flavors.  One of the great things about it is that you can make it ahead of time to allow it to soak up the flavors. 

Believe me ~ there will not be a crumb left when you serve this sinfully rich trifle!

Caramel Chocolate Trifle

Ingredients:

1 package (9-ounces) devil’s food cake mix (I used Jiffy)
2 packages (3.9-ounces each instant chocolate pudding mix (I used devil’s food)
1 carton (12-ounces) Cool Whip or other frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 jar (12¼-ounces) caramel ice cream topping 
1 package (8-ounces) English toffee bits

Method:

Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for an 8-inch square baking pan.
Cool on a wire rack.
Prepare pudding according to package directions.
Cut cake into 1½-inch cubes.
Place half of the cubes in a 3-quart trifle bowl or large glass serving bowl.
Lightly press cake down to fill in gaps.
Top with half of the cool whip, pudding, caramel topping and toffee bits.
Repeat layers.
Cover and refrigerate until serving time.  I refrigerate it overnight.
16 servings

YUM!!!!!!





Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!







Pin It

31 comments:

^..^Corgidogmama said...

I'm drooling here, and it ain't pretty!!!
Just wondering how many WW points a bowl of this would be...
and realizing...
who cares????

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I love this dessert! I have never used the toffee bits in it before, but I will from now on!

jose manuel said...

Madre mía, que plato tan tentador. Esto es un lujo.

Saludos

Design Wine and Dine said...

I'm glad he's happy they won! What a good game! This trifle is beautiful - I LOVE the photo and the ingredients! I have a trifle bowl in my kitchen filled with onions...yours looks WAY Better! :)

JG said...

Yum! That looks so good!

What a great game yesterday! Glad your hubby's team did so well. :) We were cheering on GB - watched Raji play at Boston College and were happy to see his team win!
~Judy

Lisa said...

This trifle is one of my family's all time favorites but your addition of the caramel sauce sounds even more decadent.

Kris said...

This trifle is so beautiful! And congrats to your hubby's team! :o)

Pam said...

Now THAT is a trifle!! Wow!

Prathima Rao said...

Totally in love with ur space & now ur latest follower...All the dishes u cooked look like the gourmet dishes yet retain that flavor of food cooked at home with love..;)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Suldog said...

Any trifle is a good thing! And, "Greatness"? Huh. Who knew?

Here's some trivia in exchange. Do you know who designed the Boston Celtics leprechaun logo? It was Red Auerbach's brother, Zang. God's honest truth. Stump someone with that one!

Bridgett said...

Are you willing to share? Wow, this is an incredible indulgence. Glad your hubby's team won. It was a good game and I am not even a football fan!

muppy said...

Oh my goodness, this looks very delicious, I had to scroll away quickly as i am trying to lose weight, but it does look amazing, mmmmmmm

Big Dude said...

I always thought it was for Green Bay, but I sure would have thought it would have been used as a motivation tool for the players and they'd know

teresa said...

that is such a gorgeous trifle, it looks delicious!

laurie said...

Looks like a fun recipe to try!

Donnie said...

That looks like a winner, winner chicken dinner dessert.

Olga said...

This dessert looks fantastic!

The Food Hound said...

Trifles are stunning, and this is no exception! Congrats on the big win!!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

OH MY . . .

fondly,
Glenda

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

A bunch of us New England girls were rooting for the Packer's also . . . since our beloved Patriots didn't make it . . . we won't go down that path! The dessert looks fantastic! Have a great week!

Mary

My Little Space said...

I came to know that many blogger supported the same team as well. Everyone are thrilled when their fav team won in the game. Congrats! Guess, this trifle is perfect for the celebration. Slurp! Have fun, Pam.
Cheers, Kristy

Amy said...

Oh wow, your trifle looks delicious! It's a huge distraction tp the game! LOL...it's really beautiful.

Clements Family said...

OMG...that looks delish. Great job!!!

Zia Elle said...

Great great dessert Pam! it looks so yammy!!

Gloria said...

Look delicious and amazing Pam! gloria

kitchen flavours said...

Looks really yummy! This would be so good in our hot weather right now!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Just like most of the players, I didn't know the G stood for Greatness either! Great clip and thank you! Had the Bears made it, I would have been cheering for them over the Steelers too!

Your trifle looks delicious - what a great recipe for a party!

Juliana said...

Oh Pam...this chocolate trifle looks delicious, if only I could dig my spoon in it...

Monet said...

Hi Pam! I would have asked you to bring dessert too :-) This looks sinfully delicious. Thanks for always making me smile with your words, photos and recipes. I hope that your Wednesday is full of joy!

Healthy and Homemade said...

This look insanely good!! =)

Karen said...

This is just sinful, Pam! Wow, I bet you were the hit of the super bowl party!