all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, January 31, 2011

Sinfully Delicious Lemon Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cookies!


You’re probably like me and have been seeing these cookies all over the internet.  If you like gooey butter cake, you’ll need to make these cookies ~ and then just try not eating the whole batch!

These melt in your mouth cookies are soft on the outside and ooey gooey on the inside.  They have a buttery lemon taste with semi-sweet chocolate chips complementing it.  Rolling them in powdered sugar before baking gives them just the right sweetness and dusting with powdered sugar after baking just makes them pretty. 

The dough should be covered and refrigerated for at least 2 hours before baking to firm up so you can roll the batter into balls.  I let them sit overnight in the refrigerator.  Instead of rolling them into balls, I used a medium cookie scoop which was perfect for the job; not as messy and giving a uniform size.  If you don’t have a cookie scoop, roll the dough into walnut-size balls.

The cookies are usually made with a yellow cake mix but you can substitute your favorite.  Maybe it’s chocolate or strawberry, coconut, pineapple or red velvet.  They’re easy to make and it’s fun experimenting with different flavors.  They’re simple and a hit with everyone!





Lemon Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cookies

Ingredients:

1 stick butter, room temperature
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 box Duncan Hines lemon cake mix
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar for rolling/dusting

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
Beat in the egg and vanilla.
Beat in the cake mix.
Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Roll the chilled batter into walnut-size balls or use a medium cookie scoop.
Roll them in powdered sugar.
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
Bake 12 minutes.
The cookies will remain soft and gooey.
Cool completely and dust with more powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes 3-3½ dozen


They’re like a little bit of heaven when you take a bite!



Don’t forget to enter my CSN giveaway I posted last Monday!  Today is the last day you can enter!  The drawing is tomorrow.



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!






Pin It

28 comments:

  1. This is the first tiome I have seen these cookies Pam, but I am sure it will not be the last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, Matt and I LOVED these cookies!!! They are so delicious!!! I think I had 3 of them yesterday! Thank you for bringing them over. I have been in a "cookie" phase the last few weeks of the pregnancy :) Love you! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a copy of these today. They look simply wonderful. Thanks.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. bellini valli, I'm sure it won't be with how fast stuff travels on the internet.

    Hi sweet Kathy! I'm glad you and Matt like them and hope they satisfied your cookie craving! We loved your great waffle breakfast yesterday! YUM!!! Almost "baby" time. Love and kisses to you.

    Chatty Crone, great! You will love them; they are so gooey good on the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dare not make these, there is no chance that I will not eat the whole lot, LOL, and I am still trying to get rid of the extra inches I put on after arriving back in the UK !! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cream cheese must make these cookies so rich and moist. With that lemon in there, these sound even better than the regular gooey butter cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unas galletas deliciosas del todo.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of these, they sound amazing! They are going straight to the top of my 'to bake' list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look really interesting, i might have to try

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, Great looking cookies! I printed a copy of the recipe and it's already in the hands of the baker of the family, my wife. Can't wait to taste them! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound dangerously fantastic! Lemon, chocolate, buttery and gooey...oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't dare make these because I'm quite sure I know who would be eating the majority:) I can almost taste them from here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the first time I've seen them too! Wow, they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! i love that they're made with a lemon cake, delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't seen these but am so glad to find them here! I just made gooey butter cake last week with chocolate chips. I could eat the whole pan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pma this is yummy,yummy,yummy!!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look great! Pity that I don't have that cake mix :-(
    maybe Mr Duncan Hines could send me some to New Zealand ;-) hehehehe

    ciao

    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look delicious Pam and my son would love them. He is sucker for cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never had lemon chocolate chip cookies before.. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, Pam, these will be perfect to have on hand for the blizzard that is heading our way. Thanks.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfect timing with this recipe Pam! My foreign exchange students want to make cookies and I have all of these ingredients in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pam-I love these gooey chocolaty, lemony cookies...Yumm!
    ...and to think they were made by a lemon cake mix. Wow! Great recipe.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Pam! I've never thought of pairing lemon and chocolate together in a cookie...what a shame! These look and sound amazing! Thank you for sharing with me, my sweet friend. I hope you are staying safe and warm. It is even too cold in my part of the country...and I'm in Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I love gooey butter cake! I've never heard of the cookie version, but will have to give it a try!.. maybe Super Bowl...

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is definitely must try cookie. Honestly, I forget the name of this recipe when I tried out this one. Are you sure you're not a chef or anything, this is so prefessionaly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look so gooey and delicious... now I'm hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam