all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pork Chop Casserole



There’s no way you will need a knife to cut these oh-so-tender pork chops! 

Not only does Corgidogmama have 2 great Corgis, she recently posted a mouthwatering recipe.  If you haven’t visited her blog, corginews yet, you must pay a visit to read her musings.

Corgidogmama is a spirited boomer who says she never leaves home without a nice layer of dog hair on her shirt.  Unfortunately, I can relate to that since 2 long-haired black cats live here.   I’ve been following her blog for a long time and I never tire of hearing about the escapades of her playful Corgis.  I’ve always wanted one so hearing about hers is next best. 

When I saw this recipe on her blog the other day, I knew I’d be trying it.  This is a comforting, hearty dish for sure because it combines pork chops with potatoes and cabbage.  The pork chops are browned first, and then baked in a creamy mushroom sauce with potatoes, cabbage and onions.  This is great on a cold winter’s night! 

As if all of this isn’t enough, she grows hollyhocks too ~ I’ve been babying mine for the last 4 years and need her green thumb here!

This makes for a great dinner ~ Bill gave it rave reviews and I enthusiastically agreed!  It is savory delicious!


Oven ready!
Voila!  Baked!


Here’s corgidogmama’s recipe:

Pork Chop Casserole

Yield: Can serve 4 to 12

Preparation Time: 20 minutes


Start to Finish Time: 2 to 2-1/2 hours


•4-8 bone-in or boneless pork chops

•6-10 Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced
•1 large head cabbage, sliced
•1-2 large onions, peeled and sliced
•1 can cream of mushroom soup
•1 can cream of chicken soup
•Foil
•Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and pat dry chops with paper towels. Season each with a little Kosher/sea-salt/no-salt, and fresh ground pepper to taste.

In a non-stick frying pan, drizzle a little olive oil. On high heat when oil is rippling, lay each chop in pan, only browning each side! When browned on both sides, take out of pan and lay on paper towels to drain any fat or oil off.


In a large deep casserole dish, lightly spray with olive oil/Pam/or using butter, oil dish lightly for non-stick.

1. Lay your medium-thin sliced potatoes, 1-2 layers making sure to cover the bottom of the dish.
2. Cover with a layer or two of sliced cabbage.
3. Next layer add sliced onions.
4. On top of onions, lay "browned only" chops.
In a medium bowl, mix together cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups, then spread evenly on top of your casserole. Making sure everything is covered.
Tightly cover the dish with the shiny side of the foil down. Place in preheated oven and cook 1-1/2-2 hours. When finished, let rest for at least 20 minutes before removing foil.

Try it!  You’ll like it!!!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!



Pin It

35 comments:

  1. Pam,
    Yum. Saving this one. Love the idea of the cabbage.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Pam,
    This looks so good and comforting. Perfect winter dish! I never cook pork chop. I don't know why. I really would like to try this dish sometime soon! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if this post wasn't perfect timing. I just took some pork chops out of the freezer with no idea how to cook them. I saw a cabbage on my counter so I thought that would go perfectly with the pork chops. Thank you so much for posting this today. I'm off to read about the corgis--I've always wanted a couple of those too. Hope you have a wonderful day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am certain my family would love this one. I do something similar with rice, which I prefer, but my boys will be happy with the potato replacement for certain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks comforting and decadent! My huband and I love bone in pork chops and the cabbage is a wonderful addition! Great family meal!!! Thanks for sharing her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes this is comfort food from my youth. I remember my mom making this, I don't know why I don't.

    Talk about a layer of hair on your sweater, try living with an Australian Shepherd! They are bigger and fluffier. I was thinking in the old days you could easily stuff a mattress with dog hair. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just looking at those pics and recipe are making me very hungry. This looks amazingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Bill, for sure!!!

    Carol, great! The cooked cabbage in this is sooo good.

    Mausi, if you like pork chops, this is a great recipe for them.

    Sheila, you have proved "timing is everything!" I have a feeling you will like this dish! Corgidogmama tells amusing wonderful Corgi stories. You have a great day!

    adrienzgirl, here's hoping you try it and that you and your boys like it. It's hearty!

    Design Wine and Dine: Yes, it is a great family meal; although, I have one son who will not eat pork chops and the other one loves them. Go figure!

    Lyndsey, lucky you when your mom made this! Oh, Australian Shepherds are beautiful. I love their markings and colors and can imagine all the hair. I'm sure I could've stuffed a mattress by now from our 2 shedding machines! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela, I know what you mean and thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so delicious. I've bookmarked it because it has all the attributes my hubby wants in a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew what I was getting into when I clicked the link on dashboard. I went from hungry to ravenous after reading this post. I haven't made a pork chop dish in a long while!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good heavens Pam...I felt as if this was the Corgidogmama Show!!
    I got that recipe from the Farmer's Almanac. I receive emails from them, and they are a terrific source for many things.
    That picture makes me just want to dive right into it! It just screams "yummy" doesn't it???
    So glad you enjoyed it. Try their website...it's worth the trip.
    Hugs dear friend! The corgis say "yo!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donnie, then your hubby will love this for sure!

    Sommer J, just hoping it made you ravenous enough to try it. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi corgidogmama, LOL! You never fail to make me chuckle! Too funny, I buy the Farmer's Almanac all the time but I surely missed this great recipe. I'll be looking at their website now. I can't begin to tell you how much Bill loved this (me too)! Thanks so much for posting it! It's a great addition to my "keeper" file. Hugs to you also, dear friend, and give the Corgis an extra treat for me and a hug too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful recipe idea. I just bought some pork chops and I am always ready for another casserole dish. Thanks, Pam.
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks simple and delicious Pam and Bev will jump all over it as she likes her pork falling apart tender.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Iowa is home to the pork chop, and that is where I grew up. Your recipe does the pork chop proud! I am going to forward the recipe to my mom. Thanks Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I al always at a loss as to what to do with pork, but this recipe looks and sounds perfect. So hearty and rich. Can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so delicious and sounds pretty easy. And I love cabbage. A winner all the way around.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a great winter dish! I will have to wait a few months until it becomes cooler! Very hot here at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love the ingredients in here.. I am big on casserole styles, so busy at work come home and crash this is perfect get it ready the night before and pop in the oven! Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum, I love pork chops!

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY from my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good Luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a new take on one of my favourite recipes- thanks Pam! I haven't heard of adding cabbage before so will definitely give this one a go. The Brunswick Stew went down a treat by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a lab and I stay away from her whenever it's shedding season! Your chops looks very delicious indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow this looks wonderful great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  26. Here I sit, with a box of tissues and a bad winter cold. How I'd love to eat a plate of this casserole. I don't buy canned soups, but I think I can tweak this. This makes me connect my German roots-- cabbage, pork and potatoes. Yeah, my husband would devour this in no time. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pam, Now this looks great! Kind of like a slow cooked pot roast, only with pork chops. Pork is just about my favorite meat... Fork tender with the browned edges...yum! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mmmm! Looks creamy and delicious...and ya gotta love a chop you can cut with your fork. Want some!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pam, my mouth is watering! This looks splendid! Very yummy!
    Blessings, Catherine~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pam, what a simple mouthwatering dish. I love the simplicity of this recipe. Thank you for sharing it. Hope you're having a wonderful day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  31. its very nice blog dear...:D

    Keep Visiting Dear Friends....Thanx
    Lyrics Mantra
    Music Bol

    ReplyDelete
  32. My family would love this yummy casserole with pork chops that can be cut with a fork. Comfort food at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I need to try some pork chop casseroles like this on the grill during the cooler months.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam