all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, January 3, 2011

Dragonwagon’s Cheddar-Scallion-Black Pepper Cornsticks



Crescent Dragonwagon is the creator of this recipe and The Cornbread Gospels ~ great name but, I don’t have a clue about her or her name!  It’s a unique cookbook though with all types of recipes using cornmeal.   

Before I go on with the recipe, I just want to thank Kat @sweetkatskitchen for the fantastic “Gooseberry Patch Baking Recipes Organizer" I won in her giveaway.  It’s filled with many pockets for recipes and great tips are on each pocket also.  Kat has an excellent blog chocked full of delicious baked goodies.  She has had a busy holiday season ~ baking for her customers.  And now, I finally have a way to organize all my newspaper and magazine recipe clippings!  Thanks so much, Kat!  Go check out Kat’s website, you’ll be glad you did!




Cornbread is a good thing that turns into a great thing when they’re sticks!  It’s like a little miniature cornbread of your own!  They take being baked in a corn stick pan ~ a heavy cast-iron mold shaped like tiny ears of corn.  Corn sticks have a great crunchy texture because a larger surface area is exposed to both the direct air of the oven and the cast iron molds.  If you favor REALLY crunchy corn sticks like we do, use stone-ground cornmeal for extra crunch.  Like I’ve said before in several posts, I can not buy stone-ground cornmeal locally so purchase it from Nora Mill.

Probably, most any batter can be used for corn sticks. Since it is easy for the batter to stick to the pan, the trick is to grease the molds very liberally and place them into the oven until sizzling hot, almost smoking, before adding the batter.  The corn sticks turn out a beautiful golden color!




These Cheddar-Scallion-Black Pepper Cornsticks are in Crescent Dragonwagon’s words, “jazzy enough to make you say ‘WOW’ with each bite!”  You want a sharp Cheddar cheese. “The scallion-black pepper mix is better than it has any right to be,” Crescent is right!

Here’s Dragonwagon’s recipe:

Cheddar-Scallion-Black Pepper Cornsticks
Adapted

Ingredients:

1½ cups flour
1¼ cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 to 1½ teaspoons coarse freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups (8 ounces) very finely grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
2 eggs
1½ cups buttermilk*
¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted
3 scallions, chopped very, very fine
Vegetable oil cooking spray (Crisco)**

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and black pepper in a large bow, stirring very well.
Remove 2 tablespoons of this mixture and toss it in a small bowl with the finely grated cheese.  Set aside.
Beat eggs and buttermilk together in a medium bowl, then beat in the melted butter. 
Stir this into the flour-cornmeal mix with just a few strokes-it shouldn’t be fully incorporated yet.
Sprinkle with the scallions and cheese and stir a few more times, just until combined.
Spray the corn stick pan very liberally with oil, and spoon the batter into the molds about three quarters of the way full.
Bake until the corn sticks are crusty and golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
Cool briefly in the pans, then turn out onto a rack to cool a little more.
Serve warm.

YUM!

Pam’s note:  I used 1½ teaspoons pepper.  

*The recipe calls for 1¼ cups buttermilk.  It was a thick batter so I increased it to 1½ cups.  

The recipe reads to fill the molds about three quarters of the way full.  I did this at first and after baking a couple, realized they needed to be filled almost full. 

**I liberally greased the pans with Crisco, (no cooking spray) heated them in the oven until very hot before adding batter and baking.

ENJOY!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!





Pin It

46 comments:

Dedene said...

Hello Pam, Just wanted to drop by and wish you a wonderful 2011. May you have health and happiness all through the year.

egbkid said...

wow, these look neat! I have never seen a pan like this before.
I just tried cornbread for the first time a few months ago, it was delicious and i fell in love!! Adding cheese would make it Heaven, I will have to try your recipe soon!
Happy New Year!

Pegasuslegend said...

I am so jealous! I have had very bad luck with these pans sticking and yours are perfection! What's the secret, I have sprayed, greased and still stick...i am going to try your recipe, its has to be the ingredients I will bet yours are fabulous! ★•.¸¸.•*¨*❤•.¸¸.•*¨*☆•.¸¸.•*¨*❤
HAPPY NEW 2011 YEAR!!!
❤•.¸¸.•*¨*☆•.¸¸.•*¨*❤•.¸¸.•*¨*★

Annie Jones said...

These look great! I've never tried a corn sticks mold for fear of sticking; I may have to try anyway. :)

I am familiar with Crescent Dragonwagon as a children's author. I just looked her up and had no idea she'd also written several cookbooks and two novels.

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Pam...your cornsticks look heaavenly and you've used the BEST of equipment...you BEAUTIFUL cast iron cornstick pan :)

Blessings!
Gail

Betty Ray said...

I could absolutely use something "jazzy". :) Will have to try these. I mean, you can not go wrong with cornbread!

Congrats on your organizer win.

jose manuel said...

Que pasada, se ve delicioso todo esto.

Te deseo un feliz año.

StephenC said...

I don't have one of these molds, but I suppose a person could make these as muffins? Not until after our imminent move however. Lovely idea.

Design Wine and Dine said...

how cool are these! I love them! Thinking about corn bread tonight!

Bo said...

I love corn sticks...They sound really good...I think Dragonwagon is her pen name, but I might be wrong.

Cathy said...

This recipe sounds wonderful. I love cornbred, especially when baked in your lovely pan. Congrats on your win.

Julie said...

These look delicious. Crescent Dragonwagon is a children's and cookbook author. She used to have a lovely bed and breakfast in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. I had the pleasure of dining in her restaurant there once.

Her husband was killed in a terrible biking accident but I believe she has since found happiness.

What cookbook is this from?

Happy New Year!

From the Kitchen said...

You're not going to believe this but I just asked my husband if he'd like corn sticks with our soup tonight (we're being "good" after such a food extravaganza the past few weeks) and I click on your blog and there's a new recipe for me to try. Also, I have (or had) a Crescent Dragonwagon cookbook. In fact, I think I had more than one. When I taught cooking in Charleston, I'd get cookbooks to review. Alas, when we moved, I had to cull my collection. There are some still in boxes in the garage (it's only 20 years since we moved). When I was in Virginia in Oct., I purchased a new cornstick pan that makes nine at a time.

Thanks for the recipe and the memory.

Best,
Bonnie

Terrianne, Call me Ree said...

With the addition of scallions and cheddar, these sound absolutely delectable Pam. Yum!

Happy, Happy New Year!

Candy Girl said...

I have been craving cornbread lately and this version looks fantastic!

mr. pineapple man said...

what a genius idea!! looks amazing!

teresa said...

love the name, love the pan, love the corn sticks! not a bad way to start the new year if you ask me!

Pam said...

Dedene, thanks so much and here's wishing you the best in 2011! May it be a great year for us all!

egbkid, glad you enjoyed the cornbread. It's so good and easy to make also. Happy New Year!

Pegasuslegend, I don't think a spray would do the job, it takes some Crisco and melt it in the pan, in the oven before adding the cornstick batter. Happy 2011!

Annie Jones, I've never heard of Crescent before and just looked her up on the internet. Sounds like she has written great stories. Thanks for the info!

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm, thank you! My cast iron cookware is all really old and well loved.

Betty Ray, thanks! Love that cornbread. Don't make it often so it's a great treat when I do.

jose manuel, gracias! Es delicioso. Feliz ano nuevo!

StephenC, yes, muffins would work also. Here's wishing you the best with your move. Hope it all goes smoothly for you both.

Design Wine and Dine, thanks! They're great with the pepper.

Bo, yes. I finally looked her up on the internet. She and her husband re-invented themselves with new names, it was the 60's. ;)

Cathy, thanks so much. The organizer is great.

Julie, thanks so much for all the info. I had no idea she had a restaurant and all and hopefully I will check out her childrens' books for my grandson that's on the way. This recipe is from "The Cornbread Gospels" -filled with all kinds of cornmeal recipes.

From the Kitchen, funny with the cornbread and how interesting with Crescent and your reviewing the cookbooks. I know what you mean with the box in the garage. Why rush? :-)

Terrianne, thanks and Happy New Year to you!

Candy girl, thanks.

mr. pineapple man, thank you. Crescent did it great.

teresa, thanks! Me too! Have a good rest of the day!

Lyndsey said...

After you mentioned stone ground cornmeal last time I did have to check it out. I was able to find some in our grocery store. I haven't used them yet, but we love corn bread, and nothing like jazzing them up. It's now next on my list to try! Yum!

Karen said...

I have a couple of these moulds and love to use them. They turn out so pretty and are so crunchy and fun!

Pamela said...

Looks just perfect and delicious, wish I could find the right mold and try the recipe!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Yummy! I love the pepper and cheese in this recipe. We love crunchy corn meal too, so I will have to check out the Nora Mill site. I love the redo you did on your site. The picture of the cherries is awesome!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

When my girls were little, they read Crescent Dragonwagons childrens books and thought she had the neatest name ever! :)
Fondly,
Glenda

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Great sounding recipe and I love the author's name! I have been wanting one of those cornbread stick pans for a while.

laurie said...

Looks like another great recipe!

Happy New Year!

Marguerite said...

These look fabulous and I'm definitely going to try them! You really need to do a cookbook!

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

Happy New Year Pam !

These sound and look delicious. Will uncooked polenta do - I think that's cornmeal and the only likely alternative readily available...

Buttercup said...

These look great. I love corn bread and at this time of year a perfect meal is stew or soup and corn bread.
P.S. Love the new look of your blog!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Love the new banner! The recipe sounds great! Did you have any problems with the pan, or did you have to do anything special to prepare it? Happy New Year!

kitchen flavours said...

These sounds great! Never had cornsticks before. Love your new blog look!

Sanjeeta kk said...

Love the corn sticks! Happy 2011 to you.

A Busy Nest said...

My great grandmother made these...I think I'll try this recipe. Thanks!

FOODESSA said...

Enjoyed your candid tips on these yummy sounding treats. May just have to try them in my muffin tin ;o)

Happy New Year Pam and all the very best.
Flavourful wishes,
Claudia
Claudia

BigAppleNosh said...

These look delicious!

Jenn said...

I do love corn bread...add some cheese in it and it's like heaven!!

Clements Family said...

LOVE that pan! Those look delish!

Pam said...

Lyndsey, lucky you! Wish I could find it locally.

Karen, me too and the molds are great for crunchiness.

Pamela, I hope you can. Thanks for stopping by!

Linda, thank you! Nora Mill has some great things and good service also. Cherries are good too.

Glenda, she does have a great name and with a grandchild on the way I will be checking out her other books.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen, thanks! The cornsticks were really good.

laurie, thank you and Happy New Year to you also.

Marguerite, thanks! Glad you like the recipes!

Sarah-Jane, I would think so but not really sure. Happy New Year to you!

Buttercup, I do too, especially with soup. Thank you about the blog look!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes, no problem with the pan as long as it is greased liberally and hot before adding batter. Thanks about the header. Happy New Year!

kitchen flavours, if you like cornbread, I hope you try the cornsticks. They're small and crunchy! Thanks!

Sanjeeta kk, thanks and Happy New Year!

A Busy Nest, I'm hoping you give them a try and like them.

Claudia, thanks so much and here's wishing you the best in 2011!

BigAppleNosh, thanks, they are!

Jenn, I agree all the way!

Pam said...

Clements Family, thanks, they are yummy!

Joanne said...

What an awesome win! I want to inhale those cornsticks! Delicious.

Pam said...

Joanne, thanks! That works!

Diane {Created by Diane} said...

They look delicious. I love that pan!

scrambledhenfruit said...

Those cornsticks sound sooooo good. I have a pan like that one and it's my favorite for making cornbread! :)

Monet said...

Isn't it amazing what a little cheese and scallions will do? I've been craving cornbread all week, and this post only confirms my need to make it! I love your corn pans too...so adorable. I'm going to keep my eye open for one of those pans at my local cook shop. Thank you for sharing this recipe of cornbread goodness. I hope you have a beautiful Hump Day!

MaryBeth said...

I have one of those corn stick pans but my daughter thought it was dirty so she put it in the dishwasher and now it is rusty. I got it at a garage sale and never had the chance to use it.

Chris said...

The corn stick pans are the bane of my existence. I have NOT been able to use them without ruined stuck bread.

I have a set of preseasoned and one unseasoned that I seasoned myself. I've tried preheating them like you say. I can cook anything and have maintained the seasoning on our Lodge dutch oven and my cast iron frying pan. But when it comes to these devils....I had given up. I need to try again.

Chow and Chatter said...

can't beat a good stew at this time of year :-)