all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, January 28, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings!



I could count the ways Bill loves chicken and dumplings but I don’t have enough fingers.  Chicken and dumplings is way at the top of his list of favorite dishes and one that he says I don’t make nearly often enough. 

The term “chicken and dumplings” first appeared in print in the 17th century; however, it has been cooked in many cultures in various manners for many centuries.  It was the Southerner’s love of this dish that made it popular and the comfort food that we cook today. 

The biggest problem may be deciding upon which type of dumpling you prefer.  Drop dumplings or flat dumplings?  Make them with cottage cheese or potatoes?  So many recipes…  My recipe for dumplings is the way Mom made them ~ making a delicious rounded dumpling using mainly flour and milk.  Pretty simple!

I like chicken and dumplings a lot but, my favorite way of eating dumplings is over homemade bean soup.  Yum!  Grandma and Mom both cooked dumplings this way and it was the perfect comfort food to me!  Bill says, “With bean soup, you’re kidding??? No way!”  Whatever!  



Chicken and veggies stewing in broth

Chicken oven ready

Dumplings done


Here’s the recipe for his favorite dish that is perfect for the bitter cold snowy days here:

Chicken and Dumplings

For the stew:

1 whole chicken, 3 pounds, cut into sections and trimmed of excess fat
10 cups chicken broth
1 large onion, chopped
3 carrots, cut into bite-size chunks
1 teaspoon thyme
1 can (10-ounces) cream of chicken and mushroom soup
Salt and pepper, to taste

Pour broth into a large stock pot.
Place the cut up chicken, onion and carrots in broth.
Bring to a full boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
Add salt and pepper and thyme.
Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
Set oven at 250 degrees.
When chicken is cooked, remove from pot to a baking sheet.
Remove skin from chicken and break meat from bones. 
Season with salt and pepper.
Cover chicken tightly with foil and place in oven.
Skim fat from broth.
Remove 2 cups of broth to a small bowl.
Add can of cream of chicken mushroom soup and whip with a whisk.
Pour into stew and stir well.
Adjust heat so it bubbles vigorously, but not a rolling boil.

Make batter for dumplings.
Drop dumplings by heaping tablespoonful into stew.
Cover tightly for 10 minutes and cook without lifting lid.
Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes over simmering stew.
Remove chicken from oven.   Place on meat platter.
Place dumplings in a serving bowl.
By now the “gravy” (stew broth) should be thicker; place in serving bowl to ladle over dumplings and/or chicken.
Serve and enjoy!

Dumplings:

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk

Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. 
Add milk and stir to make a soft dough.
If dough is too thin or thick, add a little more flour or milk.
Ready to drop into stew according to directions above.

Yum!  Chicken and dumplings is the quintessential comfort food!




Don’t forget to enter my CSN giveaway I posted Monday!



Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes and cookbook giveaway!




Pin It

33 comments:

  1. wow Pam! This is really a nice way to cook cicken!
    Of course your Bill loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, first of all, I love your new header. So cute & also looks delicious! :o) And your chicken Dumpling dish simply wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a wonderful day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken and drop dumplings - the ultimate comfort food. You've just made me want some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Un plato realmente fantastico, me ha encantado los ingredientes que has usado.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chicken and dumplings is my oldest sons very favorite meal! I have made dumplings about 5 different ways... my favorite is just the simple flour, milk and egg with seasons. But, the canned biscuits cut up is SO easy! I love comfort foods~ and this definitely fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never made chicken & dumplings! They look so good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks heart warming, to bad it is 80 here today - love it though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!This combination rocks,loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of those wonderfully heartwarming dishes I hasven't had in a while Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love chicken and dumplings- i think every southern girl does! these look fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, this looks really interesting, i've only ever had dumplings like this in caramel (my mums recipe)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, comfort food at its best! My mom used to make dumplings from bisquick, and the few times I've made chicken and dumplings, that's what I've used too. Can't go wrong either way, I don't think :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother-in-law made chicken and dumplings almost the same way. Comfort food at its best and perfect for the cold winter we've been having.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmm...Pam, chicken and dumplings just scream comfort food! I like the new look of your blog. I like that you change it up so often! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUMM-O....i oh so love chicken and dumplings, this is such a warm, hearty comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Pam! Funny...I just made chicken and dumplings for dinner last night! Unfortunately, I was too slow with the camera, the whole pan was gone by the time I thought about clicking the pic! Your recipe looks inviting and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I had a nice big plate of your chicken and dumplings! My room service meal was disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pam, This is one of my favorite foods...even though I'm originally from Michigan. It must be my Grandma's farm cooking! Splash a little Tabasco on the chicken & dumplings and I'd be ready to go! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks Oh so good! Perfect comfort food here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never made that...but it looks so good. Perfect comfort food for a horrible winter:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Zia Elle, thanks! Bill definitely drooled over it.

    Kristy, thanks so much. You have a great weekend!

    Big Dude, it is! There's nothing like a good dumpling!

    jose manuel, gracias! Las zanahorias agregan color y sabor también.

    Diane, you said it!

    Peggy, good for your son. I like it with canned biscuits also.

    Debbi, give it a try! It's good!

    Jennifurla, lucky you! Don't think I'd be having this at 80 degrees, the grill would be in use!

    Pushpa, it rocks indeed! Thanks!

    bellini valli, it's great for a cold winter day!

    claire, you got it! Southern for sure and a hit here in the Midwest also.

    muppy, ummm! That sounds good!

    Karen, my mom made it with bisquick also and so do I sometimes. Good and easy too!

    SavoringTime in the Kitchen, your MIL knows what's good too! Great winter time dish.

    Lyndsey, thanks! It's just like the house, have to change things around.

    MaryBeth, YUMM-O for sure! Thanks!

    Rebecka, I've done that also. I took pics of this very quickly.

    Linda, I know what you mean with the hotel. Good luck on your publicity campaign!

    David, I loved my grandma's farm cooking also. I'll be adding Tabasco to mine the next time. Thanks!

    scrambledhenfruit, yes. We crave dishes like this with all the cold snowy weather here!

    Clements Family, thanks! Love those dumplings!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like your simple recipe for dumplings! Those are the dumplings I know! That stock stewing away looks awesome - now THIS is what I want for Sunday dinner!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oooh I love dumplings- this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're so right...total comfort food! My mom used to make chicken and dumplings for us when we were sick. Nope, not chicken noodle...chicken and dumplings, LOL! Yours are bringing back all kinds of tasty memories :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am like your husband; I love chicken and dumplings. It was not something my family ever had when I was growing up. In fact, I had my first chicken and dumplings only a few years ago. I loved it so much. I made it for my family, and my grandmother could not understand the dumplings; she kept saying they were not cooked because they were mushy...lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is hard to believe...but I've never made or even enjoyed a bowl of chicken dumpling soup! Shocking, I know...and something that must change. I hope you are having a good weekend with friends and family. Thank you for sharing this comforting dish with me tonight! Many blessings in the week to come.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is one of my mother's specialties but for whatever reason, I never followed suit. I might have made it once. Weird because I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is definitely one of my favorite meals this time of year! Yours looks wonderful...bookmarking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chicken in any form is always deliscious, and as usual Pam you have delivered a great looking (and more than likely great tasting) dish!

    Ive never had drop dumplings before. My family are from Jamaica and there they usually fry their dumplings. I will have to give this a try and see what its like!

    Thankyou for sharing. If you have time feel free to drop by my blog. i have pics from the culinary olympics in germany... so inspirational!

    Keep blogging and stay cool lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those dumplings look incredible! This would definitely be the perfect dish for the upcoming snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Design Wine and Dine, thanks! Good and easy dumplings is the best.

    Simply Life, thank you!

    girlchef, too funny! What a great Mom! Chicken and dumplings sure beats chicken noodle.

    Raina, LOL! Dumplings are mushy and it sounds like they did not win over your grandmother. Hope she tries them again.

    Monet, you must try dumplings, they're delicious! Here's wishing you a great week!

    Chris, they're the best and I hope you cook them again.

    Faith, thanks! Mine too!

    Walnuts and Honey, interesting. I've never had fried dumplings and would like to try that. These are delicious but definitely won't have that consistency. Thanks for stopping by and I will be visiting you soon! We love German food after living there years ago. Stay cool!

    Megan, yes, it would be! They say expect up to 18" of snow here. YUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This brought me such joy! Chicken and dumplin's were my grandparents' favorite. This recipe is almost identical to my nana's!

    What joy food brings! ...and the memories!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam