all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Turkey a la King



While I was cleaning up after Thanksgiving and commencing with Christmas decorating, you all were posting great dishes with leftover turkey.  I just wish I had seen them before all of our leftover turkey was consumed. 

One is Linda’s @My Kind of Cookinglayered turkey enchiladas.  I have made her awesome green chile chicken pasta.  She revamped it using turkey and tortillas so I know how delicious this would be.  Yum!

Another is Stephen’s @The Obsessive Chef :  a great turkey noodle soup flavored with celery, carrots and mushrooms.  It makes for a perfect meal and sounds and looks very appetizing to me! 

These are both must-tries the next time we have turkey!

Here’s what I did with our leftover turkey ~ turkey a la king.  Bill and I both enjoy this and I always make it a day or 2 after Thanksgiving.  This recipe is a repost from last year when I first started blogging with omitting the pimentos and adding Hungarian sweet paprika.  As I said before, it’s a creamy dish fit for a king!



Turkey a la King

Ingredients:

1 tube Pillsbury Grands Biscuits
1/3 c. butter
2 green onions, sliced
1/3 c. flour
3 cps. milk
¼ t. cayenne
½ t. salt
¼ t. pepper
1 large can sliced mushrooms, drained
3 cps. turkey, cubed
Hungarian sweet paprika

Bake biscuits according to directions.
Melt butter in large sauce pan.  Add onion, cook about 2 minutes, until tender.
Stir in flour.
Add milk slowly, stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
Add remaining ingredients in order, except paprika, mixing well.
Heat thoroughly until bubbly.
Serve on halved warm biscuits immediately.
Sprinkle with paprika.

Serves 4


ENJOY!!!

 


Pin It

30 comments:

  1. Looks Great!! ...and it is Turkey Pot Pie tonight at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a delicious leftover! Definitely fit for a king! Am going to hop over to view the two bloggers you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken (or turkey) a'la king is one of my favorite childhood comfort foods. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so much better than I remember as a kid. I need to try it for myself. I just made turkey tetrazzini this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Bill: Love turkey pot pie too! I definitely want dinner at your house tonight!

    Jeannie, thanks! They have 2 great turkey recipes!

    TKW, comfort food it is for sure. Have a good day!

    Lyndsey, your turkey tetrazzini sounds good! Another great turkey dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's cool and rainy here - how I would love a bowl of this right now! The turkey never gets old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't Turkey a la King great? Every year the second day after Thanksgiving I prepare it. Dining on this fam fav is all part of the holiday tradition. :) I prepare it a bit differently (posted last week) and serve it over toasted bread. Yummy!
    ~JG

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to cook another turkey just so I can make the recipes I've gathered up for leftovers. Your al la king sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been thinking about biscuits lately. Thank heavens our turkey is almost used up. But this could be chicken a la king too, no?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love chicken a la king but get turned off by the canned stuff. I really wish we did Thanksgiving here because this sounds delicious. I have never made a la king before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Pam, for mentioning my Layered Turkey Enchilada recipe! I am going to make a bigger turkey next year so I can try all the great leftover recipes that are posted. I am not waiting for next year to try your recipe, I am going to use chicken. It looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pam. That looks so delicious and comforting when it's cold outside. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drool worthy for sure, I love it. Anything creamy has a special place in my heart

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great way to use turkey leftovers. I am sure the cream will make the dry turkey soft and juicy again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow--does that ever look good!! I don't like chicken a la king because of the pimentos--but I really think I'd like this version. Wish I had some turkey leftover--I'll just print this and keep it on hand for next time!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pam this looks perfectly YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a la king dishes when I was little. It's time to have this classic again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Truly fit for a king looks terrific~

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never heard of Pillsbury Grands Biscuits but I guess I can substitute. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whaaaa....no turkey left here.
    But, come Christmas, I am making this delish dish of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never made anything "a la king," but it looks sooooo warm and comforting! Too bad I didn't get any turkey leftovers this year, but I think I might roast one this month... even if it's just to have leftovers :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Look so delicious...another great way in my list to use leftover turkey or chicken :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. yummo,what great ideas for that left over turkey.
    happy december.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the recipe Pam - this will be a great alternative to using up our Christmas Turkey rather than my Turkey and Ham Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a perfect turkey leftover meal!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Pam! We love turkey or chicken a la king at our house! My older sister made it for her husband on one of their first dates, and he was clearly smitten with her and her cooking! Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have a lovely Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A very delicious way to use up leftover turkey.

    I like your new holiday header...very festive:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely turkey dish. I love turkey. Must try someday. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam