all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, December 27, 2010

Turducken for our Christmas Dinner



For real?  I always thought turducken was a gimmick! 

You know, if you watch football as much as we do, you’ve seen John Madden and his gang slobbering over the turducken before them at the football stadium on Thanksgiving Day in years past.

It is turkey duck chicken — three birds and no bones with the exception of 2 turkey wings and 2 duck legs.  Turducken is a boneless chicken stuffed into a boneless duck into a deboned turkey ~ separated by a savory dressing ~ then sewed all together into one mighty package of meat and dressing. 

I was amazed to see an article about it in the December issue of Southern Living magazine.  We enjoy our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and it is almost always prime rib, my favorite.  But, after reading about turducken in the magazine, Bill and I discussed it and decided to buy the turducken from Cajun Ed at Hebert’s Specialty Meats (pronounced A Bears) in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  It didn’t take long to win Bill over as he, along with Bubba and Matt, are huge fans of turkey, duck and chicken. 

Oh my gosh!  It was delicious!  Cajun Ed makes many different versions of turducken and we ordered Turducken with Andouille sausage and cornbread dressing.  Really spicy dressing with the meat so very tender and juicy, it was no effort to cut with a fork! 




After researching on the internet, we were boggled with the many different methods for roasting in regards to cooking time and temperature.  We followed the instructions that came with the turducken that in no way resembled all of those on the internet.

Here’s Cajun Ed at Hebert’s Specialty Meats recommended method:

“Defrost first. Remove plastic wrap. The 14-16 pound turducken cooks at 375° F for 4 hours covered and 1 hr. uncovered, breast down or until the internal temperature exceeds 165° F”.

It is stressed that it has to be completely thawed, which took 4 days in the refrigerator.  That is 14-16 pounds of solid meat with a bit of dressing!  The instructions tell you exactly how to slice it. 

The pictures were taken before it reached the dinner table as I knew there would no hope of taking a picture once it reached the table. 

It will be prime rib for New Year’s dinner here, foregoing the traditional pork roast!  It has been a great year of change here for sure, you know, if you follow my blog!

As I am writing this, Bill is drooling thinking about the leftover turducken in the refrigerator in the garage that he says is calling his name!

It's delicious!!!



Just a reminder, today is the last day to enter my CSN Giveaway for a $35 gift certificate that I posted on December 17th!



Also, check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway!





30 comments:

♥LOVE2COOK♥ said...

Yummylicious!!! :D

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I've heard of these but haven't ever had one. They sound highly intriguing! So glad your family liked it! I think I'm coming over for leftovers!

Pam said...

♥LOVE2COOK♥, you said it!!!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy, Bill says come on over but you better be quick about it!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Wow! I enlarged the turducken photo as much as I could, and it does look unusually good. Moist too. Change is good sometimes, isn't it? On to the prime rib!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I remember my mother making turducken possibly 35 years ago when we lived in Zimbabwe. All 'home grown' birds were used and the end result was something I will never forget. It was delicious. Hope you had a good Christmas Diane

Big Dude said...

Looks delicious Pam. I,ve been wanting to try turduken, but thought it would be too much effort to put together. But with your link on where to buy one and the great recommendation, I'm in.

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Pam...my hubby has always wanted to do one of these. I may just have to give in sometime, lol. You've made it look and sounds just wonderful :)

Blessings!
Gail

StephenC said...

Wow, good for you. How adventurous! I've thought about making turducken for years. I know how to bone out the birds myself. Hmmm, what to do?

kitchen flavours said...

Never heard of turdecken before! It looks delicious, wouldn't mind having this for my dinner!

Michael Toa said...

Happy Christmas Pam. Hope you had a wonderful one. The turducken looks fantastic. I had it a couple years ago and I loved it (I didn't make it though). I'd love to try making my own.

Lyndsey said...

I saw Paula Deen do one years ago. I had my first turducken sandwich just this week at a restaurant/meat market that was featured on Food Network for the best turducken sandwich!

Yours looks great! Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

Country Dreaming said...

You are a brave woman!
I have never had this--but it does looks good.

Happy New Year to You and yours!!!


Melinda

Karen said...

How fun! I'd love to try one of these :)

Jennifurla said...

Oh how nice, I would love to just order one and try it.

Pam said...

Corgidogmama, yes change is good and this one really was. We couldn't believe how moist and tender the meat was. The dressing was very spicy so that really added a lot of flavor.

Diane, how interesting! I bet your mom did a fine job of it. It makes perfect sense to stuff one inside the other but I've just never heard of anyone doing it and thought it was just a gimmick like I said. We had a great Christmas and hope you did also.

Larry, thank you! The service was great; we received it in a short time and was packaged well. They certainly have a wide variety of products also.

Pamela said...

Dear Pam, What a great experience, prime rib is good, but turducken is out of this world. You're so lucky to be able to order it: I have chef Paul Prudhomme's recipe sitting for years until I gather the birds and the guts to cook it myself. Keep enjoying, see you next year:)

Pam said...

Gail, hope you try it! It's good and unique also.

Stephen, thanks! I say go for it since you know how to debone the bird. It would be amazing to watch someone assemble turducken; can I come over and watch when you do it?

kitchen flavors, it's great and filled with flavor!

Michael Toa, thank you! We will be having it here again I imagine. It was a hit for sure. Happy New Year to you!

Lyndsey, cool with the sandwich and I'm wondering if you liked it. It doesn't surprise me that Paula Deen made one; I'm sorry I missed that. I had a wonderful Christmas and I'm hoping you did also.

Country Dreaming, I knew our family would love it and they did. So juicy and delicious. Happy New Year your way also!

Karen, it was and good too!

Jennifurla, ordering it is definitely much easier!

Pamela, thank you! I hope you soon have the guts to try it as it is sooo good. There's no way I would try it as I'm sure I'd slice my finger and never get it assembled well. I'm sure Chef Prudhomme's recipe is great, nice and spicy stuffing there also. Till next year! ;)

Kristen said...

I have always wanted to try turducken, have been too chicken to try. It's nice to know that you can buy it already put together. That makes it less scary. I bet it was a wonderful meal! Hope your Christmas was grand.

Julie said...

I've seen these on TV too and would love to give it a try. Sounds interesting/wonderful.

Leslie said...

that looks fantastic pam!!!!!

Buttercup said...

I've never had this and never thought I'd be interested in trying it, but you've got me intrigued. Hope you're having a great Christmas week.

Dishesdone said...

Never had it, but it does look super good! I'd love to try it!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I've seen these, but have never tried them. It sounds wonderful!

Jackie said...

I didn't realize it was a real dish,either. It sounds like an interesting concoction, and you say it's tasty. Fascinating.

Sommer J said...

Way to go looks juicy and scrumptious!!!

Design Wine and Dine said...

OMG! I love that you tried this! I know I would LOVE! :)

Marguerite said...

Love Turducken and yours looks divine! That is some mighty fine eating, cher! I order mine from the original Hebert's, here in Cajun country, which is right up the road. Happy New Year! Cheers!

Sook said...

Mmm looks like a great Christmas dinner!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

It has been years since I had a Turducken. I don't know why I have waited so long to bake another one. We really enjoyed it, and by having the dressing wrapped up with the meat already, it cut down on the work you typically do to make turkey and dressing.

Joanne said...

SO COOL! I have always wanted to try my hand at a turducken. Looks awesome.