all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, December 10, 2010

Snowballs Mom’s Way




These snowballs are like a winter wonderland; they are delectable and you don’t have to do any shoveling!  

This is an elegant “heavenly dessert” that Mom prepared for dinner parties during the holidays.  I have no idea how she came upon this recipe ~ I just know I love the result!  They are soooo delicious if you love sweet luscious pineapple, angel flaked coconut and fresh whipped cream.  They look similar to a Hostess Sno Ball, only larger and taste a hundred times better. 

The preparation is a little time consuming; however, the good thing is that they can be assembled a day ahead of time.  The day before serving, crushed pineapple, chopped pecans and powdered sugar are combined, then spread on 3 stacked vanilla wafers and covered with coconut on serving day.  They’re a great “make ahead of time” dessert and scrumptious beyond words! 


Snowballs

Ingredients:

1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
½ pound (2 sticks) butter
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
4 eggs yolks, 4 egg whites
1 cup ground pecans
3 pints whipping cream
Vanilla wafers
Angel flake coconut
1 tablespoon milk

Day before serving:
Drain crushed pineapple.  You have to end up squeezing it in your hands.
Cream butter and sugar.
Add egg yolks, nuts and pineapple.
Beat egg whites till stiff.
Fold egg whites into pineapple mixture.
Put 3 vanilla wafers together with pineapple filling:  place one wafer on plate, cover liberally with filling, stack another wafer on top, cover liberally with filling, place a third wafer on top of the stack.
Place them in a pan and set in refrigerator overnight.

Next day:
Beat whipping cream until stiff.
Put wafer stack on a spatula.
Cover all but bottom with stiffly beaten whipped cream.
Sprinkle with coconut.
Place in refrigerator till serving time.


Pam’s Notes:  This recipe takes 1 ½ boxes of vanilla wafers.   The recipe can easily be halved.  If you wish, the coconut can be tinted for a festive look:  In a baggie, mix 1 tablespoon milk, a couple of drops of red food coloring and 1 package of coconut together.  Let dry overnight.


An amazingly delicious holiday dessert!!!



Be sure to enter my Tate’s Bake Shop giveaway that was posted on December 3rd!




Also, check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway!




Pin It

27 comments:

  1. The snowballs look amazing! I have never seen a recipe similar to this one. You should enter it into a contest. The recipe is so unique and they sound so delicious, I bet you could win a prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hv not seen this before, but the ingredients certainly sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que curiosa receta, muy interesante y rica.

    SAludos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pam! So happy to have found you. And even happier to know you can follow my recipes in Spanish, any doubt, don't hesitate to ask for a translation:) And now, about these balls: THe are already nominated for my Xmas table, SO perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had something like this once at a party, and have been looking for it ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and I thought the picture was mashed potato LOL. This sounds just so delicious. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. never tried....it looks so nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect cookie for Christmas! I love coconut, so these are perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen a snowball like that, they look super! Would love to have one, they look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam your snowballs look amazing and delicious!! Love them , are so beauty!gloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the kind of snow that I'd enjoy. It's a really interesting recipe and I'd love to taste them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what fun looks so delicious cant wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fabulous..Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm all that tropical coconut pineapple goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really great this time of year!

    I'm putting eyee, nose, mouth and top hat on mine! ;)

    Love the flavors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda, thanks for your great idea!

    Jeannie, thank you! These are good for coconut addicts.

    jose manuel, gracias! Que tengas un buen dia!

    Pamela, thank you and I will. Glad you like this!

    Pam, great that you found it and I hope you try it. Yum!

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, LOL! It does but it surely doesn't taste like it. Photography is not my thing as you can see.

    Zia Elle, thank you. It's a great treat!

    Deborah, thanks! There's nothing like coconut in a dessert!

    Dishesdone, thank you! The coconut pineapple combo is sooo good!

    Gloria, they are great for this time of year.

    Dedene, you are right on spot! Thanks!

    Pegasuslegend, hope you make them to see how delicious they are.

    Pushpa, thanks and Happy Holidays to you!

    Joanne, tropical flavors for sure and it beats real snow!

    Design Wine and Dine, great! They will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my goodness, i LOVE the flavors of these cookies, DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never seen anything like it! How big is the final snowball?

    ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are sure to be a hit! I have always wondered how to tint coconut. I tried a few times. Never used milk and a baggie. I will try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Coconut and pineapple...what a lovely tropical infusion for the cold months of winter! I imagine that these would be a hit at my holiday party. And I LOVE that they can be made the day ahead. Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look wonderfully festive and perfect for a holiday table. I hope you are having a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a delightful holiday dessert! They must make such a pretty presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Pam! Your Mother's recipe for snowballs is so unusual and delightful! I'll have to try these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pam these look amazing! I love anything pineapple or coconut. I hit the jackpot with these cookies!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow these look amazing. the tropical flavors were what pulled me in. i'll be trying them in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now these really look like snowballs. The flavor combination in these would take the winter blues away in no time.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam