all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Saltine Toffee Crunch



This is one crazy delicious toffee delight and soooo easy to make! I'm so glad I came upon this recipe in our local newspaper, The Northwest Herald!

A saltine cracker has always been one of life’s little pleasures for me whether spread with peanut butter, topped with a cheese slice or along with a bowl of soup but, I never would have imagined the lowly saltine cracker being exalted to a great party confection!

The combination of the salty cracker with the butter and brown sugar that turns into toffee and then topped with semi-sweet chocolate and toasted pecans is addictive for sure.  The saltine renders an irresistible salt crunch to play off the buttery sweet toffee.  What great cracker candy!


Saltine Toffee Crunch

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
35 saltine crackers
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 package (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips, I used Ghirardelli’s
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a 10” x 15” rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, allowing for some overhang.
Melt butter in a large saucepan.
Brush parchment with a little butter.
Line up crackers on buttered parchment, touching but not overlapping.
Whisk brown sugar into remaining butter.  Set over medium-high heat.  Bring to a boil; boil thick, 2 minutes.
Pour evenly over crackers.
Place in 400-degree oven and bake until brown and bubbly, 10 minutes.
Carefully remove from oven.
Scatter molten surface with chocolate chips.
Let melt 5 minutes.
Use an offset spatula to spread chocolate.
Cast on nuts, gently press into chocolate.
Freeze until firm, 30 minutes.
Lift parchment by its overhang and set toffee (paper and all) on a cutting surface.
Slice into 18 squares, then into 36 triangles or break into chunks.


I’d call it “sin on a cracker!”


Be sure to enter my CSN Giveaway for a $35 gift certificate that I posted on December 17th!



Also, check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway!





23 comments:

Carol at Serendipity said...

Pam.
This is another keeper from your blog!

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Carol

Pam said...

Carol, thanks so much! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Merry Christmas also and the best in the New Year!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Oooooo that sounds delicious. Diane

Pam said...

Diane, thank you! It's crunchy good!

Diana's Cocina said...

This toffee is insanely delicious! One of my favorites… Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Kristen said...

I have had those...they are So addicting. I could eat an entire pan!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

You are so right Pam! It should be called Sin on a Cracker, because once you start eating it, it is hard to stop. Wishing you and Bill and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

Dishesdone said...

I've it, so good, it's addicting! Yours looks fantastic, mine burning. Story of my life when it comes to the kitchen :)

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Brownieville Girl said...

Love this recipe Pam - I'm a big fan of sweet and salty.

Happy Christmas.

The Food Hound said...

A version of this recipe is in our Junior League cookbook, and someone always makes it for meetings-- it's ALWAYS a hit!! I have been known to sit next to it the whole meeting, ha!

Tati said...

Neste NATAL...fechem as suas chaminés. Visita que verdadeiramente vale à pena chega é pela porta da frente. Na noite de Natal fujam dos tumultos e dos barulhos. Descubram a felicidade silenciosa. Ela é discreta, mas existe! Eu lhes garanto!Não tenham a ilusão de que seu Natal será triste porque será pobre. Há mais beleza na pobreza verdadeira e assumida que na riqueza disfarçada e incoerente.
O que alegra um coração humano é tão pouco que parece ser quase nada. Ousem dar o quase nada. Não dá trabalho, nem custa muito...E não se surpreendam, se com isso, a sua noite de Natal tornar-se inesquecível. "
BOAS FESTAS!

Monet said...

Hi Pam! Don't you just love recipes that are simple to throw together yet taste absolutely delicious? This looks like quite the winner. I hope that you are having such a wonderful week of holiday celebration. Thanks for sharing, my sweet friend!

Zoe said...

The recipe is so easy and good! Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to you :D

Jacqueline said...

Wow, sounds easy and wonderful!...Missed visiting with you Pam, hope all is well...Merry Christmas and please kiss M/M for me!!

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

That IS one crazy easy recipe, but it sounds absolutely delicious!

Bubba said...

Quite possibly the best Christmas "cookie" you've ever made!

Alessandra said...

Isn't nice when you get a good recipe out of the local paper?
Don't think we have saltine crackers here though...

Have a lovely Christmas!

ciao
Alessandra

Design Wine and Dine said...

Isn't the SALTINE sooo versatile! I make sure to have them on hand! Love that this recipe uses them in a "sweet" way! Very cool!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love this stuff- it's so addicting! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! :)

Juliana said...

PAm, this is something that if I start will have a hard time to stop eating them...love the idea of salt and sweet...and crunchy of course :-)

Pam said...

Diana's Cocina, it is! Here's wishing you and yours a wonderful Merry Christmas!

Kristen, I'm with you all the way on that!

Linda, thank you! They're addictive. Here's wishing you and Stan and family a great Merry Christmas and the best to you all in the New Year!

Dishesdone, I could even eat these burnt! Merry Christmas to all your way also!

Brownieville Girl, me too! Love that duo! Merry Christmas!

The Food Hound, I would park myself there also. They are a sinful delight!

Tati, unfortunately I don't understand one word but thanks for the visit.

Monet, they are sooo good and easy makes it even better. Have a wonderful celebration your way also!

Zoe, yes and thank you! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Jacqueline, thank you! I've missed you also! M&M have been driving me wacko after their playing under the Christmas tree; have to re-arrange it about every day. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Mags, it is crazy delicious!

Bubba, thanks and yes, they are good! I'll try to restrain myself so there will be some left here Christmas day for you to enjoy!

Alessandra, yes, it's a wonderful thing! In our house, soda crackers are the same as saltines. Not really sure about it though. Maybe you have soda crackers there.

Design Wine and Dine, this is the sweetest way I know of for a saltine. Love them!

scrambledhenfruit, thank you and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Juliana, you're right, they are so addictive!

LindaCrochets said...

Now that is something that I could make! Only problem is....I would end up eating way too much!
Merry Christmas! Enjoyed your blog!

My Little Space said...

Pam, love all the cookies you're making here. Bookmarked some of them. Thanks so much for sharing. Enjoy your holiday!
Kristy