all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mom’s Pecan Dreams/My Favorite Christmas Cookie!!!



 I love this time of year as it gives me an excuse to bake a lot of cookies for family and friends.  What would Christmas be without cookies? 

These Pecan Dreams were my favorite Christmas cookie when I was growing up and to this day ~ they are still my favorite!   I could hardly wait for Mom to bake them when I was a kid and I could probably say the same for my brother Jim.   I always knew that Christmas was getting really close when Mom would pull out the bag of coconut and the package of pecans.  The wafting aroma in the air as they are baking is indescribable!  I love coconut and this cookie reeks of coconut!

Mom’s Pecan Dreams has two layers.  The light bottom layer made with butter, confectioner’s sugar and flour has an almost cake-like delicious texture.  The top layer is a combination of brown sugar, pecans and coconut; common ingredients, but just the perfect combination for a melt in your mouth cookie.  They are lip smacking good!!!


Mom’s Pecan Dreams

Crust ingredients:

½ cup butter, softened
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 cup sifted cake flour (a must!)

Cream butter, add powdered sugar and cake flour.  Mix well.  Spread in bottom of 13" x 9" Pyrex baking dish.

Filling ingredients:

2 eggs
1 ½ cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped pecans
1 ½ cups flaked coconut

Beat eggs till light, add brown sugar, blend well.
Add flour and baking powder.  Mix well.
Blend in pecans and coconut.
Pour over first mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cut into squares when cool.



It wouldn’t be Christmas without Mom’s Pecan Dreams!


Pam's note:  So sorry.  I originally had the wrong size baking pan.  It should be 13" x 9".


Be sure to check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking.  She is hosting a Tate’s Bake Shop giveaway!






Pin It

29 comments:

  1. great recipe like pecan pie almost looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, you have to stop this! Just when I think I am done baking, you add another great recipe! I am going to make a batch of these for Fareed at Passion Radio. I will let you know what he says about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a keeper!! Thanks for sharing. Heading to the kitchen as we speak...since we are iced in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom would love these. I was one of those picky kids who didn't like nuts in cookies or banana bread. My mom's favorite ice cream was butter pecan, she was so smart, she knew we'd leave her ice cream alone after all it had nuts in it. :D

    Now I like pecans, and these look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowsers Pam, no wonder it's your favorite. Sounds and looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love cookies. I have everything I need to make these and I am going to give these a whirl this weekend while I am baking.

    I'm hosting a Holiday Cookie Swap today for Share a Spoon. Feel free to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I love recipes like this, I have a couple that are very similar. It is always a good treat! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look wonderful! The best cookies are the ones with warm memories attached to them:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is what Christmas is all about, sharing, loving and keeping family traditions. Thanks for this incredible recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christmas provides an excuse for baking for me too. These pecan dreams look like they live up to their name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing such a special recipe! You mom's recipe looks amazing and that photo - I could just take a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh Pam...these look absolutely wonderful (as we are droooooling!!) We will have to give them a try this weekend :)
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    Karla & Karrie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see why these cookies are a must!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pam's favorite cookies? Well now I have to make these babies. They look and sound so good. I love baking recipes from childhood during these months. Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow...cookies looks delicious and tempting,perfect for the holiday.
    Merry Christmas to you and family...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unas galletas perfectas para la navidad, que ricas.ç

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love coconut and pecans. This will be the first cookie I make in our new kitchen. Thanks for sharing your FAVORITE.

    Merry Christmas, Pam.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  18. mmmm, i love anything with pecans, this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Recipes from childhood are always the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These sounds wonderful, Pam. The best part is that the recipe was part of your childhood. Very special!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These cookies is just so tempting! Wish I can grab a few from here. ^_^ Thanks for the recipe & hope you're having a wonderful day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  22. These sounds really good. Some of my favorite flavors. I love those foods that we have great memories about. I will definitely have to make these:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These sound delicious and I'm sending this recipe to my niece who loves to bake and is looking for a pecan recipe! I'll bet memories come flooding back when you smell these cookies! Have a great day!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cookies for Xmas must be a very US thing! Here in NZ, a part for leaving some for Santa, it is all about Xmas cake and sweet mince pies... and pavlova!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This does look good. The smell of the coconut when baking must be heavenly. Thank you for sharing your mom's recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a delicious looking cookies those are! Thanks for sharing one of your favorite Christmas cookies with us!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. Glad you like the cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pam, I finally got around to baking this recipe tonight! It is amazing! Not only does it taste fantastic, it is very easy to prepare!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam