Hawaiian Cookie Tarts



These Hawaiian Cookie Tarts are the perfect excuse for you and me to take a break from a busy day and relax and enjoy one with a steaming cup of coffee!

It’s interesting though that pineapple is neither an apple nor a pine and is not native to Hawaii as we usually think it is.   Pineapple is a native of South America and was named for its resemblance to a pine cone.  Although it was discovered 3 centuries earlier, the word “pineapple” did not appear in print until 1664.  Much later, tasting pineapple for the first time in Barbados in 1751, George Washington declared it his favorite tropical fruit.   

Then, around 1770, Captain James Cook introduced pineapple to Hawaii.  However, it wasn’t until the 1880’s that commercial cultivation began when steamships made transporting the luscious perishable fruit feasible. 

Coconut and pineapple ~ 2 of my favorite things!  These Hawaiian Cookie Tarts are down-right tropical because the flaky pastry shell is filled with a bit of pineapple preserves and a layer of gooey coconut dabbed on top of it all.  I usually only make them at Christmas time but they would be great any time!



Hawaiian Cookie Tarts

Pastry shell
Ingredients:

3 ½ cups flour
1 cup confectioners sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups butter
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large bowl, combine flour, 
1 cup confectioners sugar and cornstarch. 
Blend well.  Add butter and vanilla.
By hand, blend until a soft dough forms. 
Shape into 1” balls.
Place 1 ball in each miniature muffin cup. Press in bottom and up sides of each cup.

Filling
Ingredients:

2 cups pineapple preserves
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 cups coconut
Confectioners sugar

Spoon 1 teaspoon of pineapple preserves into each cup.
In small bowl, combine sugar and egg. Using fork, blend well.
Stir in coconut until well coated with egg mixture.
Spoon 1 teaspoonful coconut mixture over pineapple preserves in each cup.
Bake at 350 degrees for 23-33 minutes, until crusts are very light golden brown.
To release tarts from cups, hold muffin pan upside down on an angle over wire rack.  Using a wooden spoon, firmly tap bottom of each cup till cookie releases.
Cool completely.
Just before serving, sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Makes 6 dozen

Printable recipe


Pam's note:  This is the tool (the top part) I use to mold the dough in the tart pan, a tart tamper:



They taste a bit like heaven, like Hawaii itself!

Mele Kalikimaka!


Be sure to enter my Tate’s Bake Shop giveaway that was posted on December 3rd!

Also, check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway!


39 comments:

  1. LOve these tarts. They remind me of warm sunshine and climates...take me away..after Christmas of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo these Hawaiian Cookie Tarts look great! and I LOVE the plate that they are on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe looks like a keeper! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh those look amazing! love the plate too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that plate too!

    Great pictures and background info on the pineapple! Also cool new Christmas backdrop!

    These tarts look scruptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so fun and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your pineapple tart very much!!....and the story is so interesting!!.......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love little tarts and always make the same two recipes for the holidays. Yours look wonderful and will be so pretty on my cookie trays. Thanks for the new version of our old favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Que rica tartitas, esto tiene que ser una delicia.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, what a cute way to get a taste of the tropics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect timing with this recipe Pam! I start baking for my Christmas baskets on Wednesday and I am always looking for a new recipe to add.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a lovely treat! a nice taste of the islands, something we could all use on these cold days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound so wonderful Pam...YUMMY! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I've always wondered about how they came up with pineapple;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a wonderful recipe. My husband loves tarts so I definitely will need to make him these to try out! Thanks so much for sharing.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the mini-tart pans and haven't used mine in ages. I wish I could set all my pans, gadgets, bowls... everything out on the counter so I'd remember to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was pretty cold here today, so a little tropical thinking is nice! Those cookies look so good! Love coconut and pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  18. bellini valli, me too! It's cold, 19 degrees and snow on the ground. Need a little Hawaii!

    BigBearswife, thanks! Hope you have a good evening!

    Mr. Bill, they're really good!!!

    Clements Family, thank you! Love that red!

    Design Wine and Dine, thanks for all the compliments. Don't you just love this time of year? Decor, music and food!

    Kris, they are delicious!

    Marcela, thank you, glad you liked it. Abrazotes!

    Cathy, you're welcome. They are just a little different and so good and they're the perfect size.

    jose manuel, gracias! Son delicias y facil!

    Lisa, yes! I'd like to be going there soon!

    Linda, great, you'll like these! Happy baking!

    teresa, you said it; anything to warm up the days!

    Pegasuslegend, thanks and for stopping by also!

    Julie Harward, thank you! Love Christmas cookies!

    Holly, glad to let you know! ;)

    Fashion Meets Food, hope your husband likes them as much as we do!

    Zia Elle, thanks! Ummmmmm!

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, they are! Have a good rest of the day!

    Karen, I so agree. I forget about most of them I have and there are some I only use once a year.

    Dishesdone, tropical works for me when it's cold outside. Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Deee-licious!

    I stole my mom's "Tart-tamper" last Christmas. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The tarts look gorgeous and lovely, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea to fill little tarts with pineapple, here for Xmas we are full of sweet mince pies, this is a welcomed change.

    I have a similar tool, but I always use my fingers :-)

    ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  22. Me ha gustado mucho tu blog ... sobre todo los dulces FELICIDADES MARIMI

    ReplyDelete
  23. Coconut or not.. these look wonderful!!! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Krista, thanks! Will mom be getting a new one for Christmas? ;)

    Sanjeeta kk, thank you! They're really good!

    Alessandra, ummmm with those sweet mince pies. I would love to have one! You are more talented than I am as I can not get them molded well without the tamper.

    garlutti, gracias! Me alegro que os guste mi blog. Voy a mirar a tu blog.

    Jenn, thanks! Coconut is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Delicious tarts filled with my favorite tropical fruits! Coconut and pineapple top my list of ingredients for dessert. Wonderful recipe to treasure. Thanks for sharing. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  26. michelangelo in the kitchen, thanks! I would go for tropical desserts before chocolate any day! Happy holidays to you also!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your tarts sound fantastic, Pam! Thanks for the interesting history lesson on pineapple too. Loved learning something new with my treat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Pam! These look and sound fantastic. I adore pineapple, and I rarely make baked goods with that luscious fruit. I can't wait to try these. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have a festive Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pam, these look and sounds fabulous. I bet they wouldn't last very long, especially over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These sunny tarts would brighten up a cold winter day- they sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the cake pedestal with the entwined ribbon.The tarts sound yummy, and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  32. SavoringTime in the Kitchen, thanks! Glad you liked it.

    Monet, thanks! I adore pineapple also and you have a great Wednesday!

    Bridgett, thank you! Yes, they do not stay around long at all.

    scrambledhenfruit, yes! They help to fight the cold weather.

    Jackie, thanks! I love red and white! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These sound so tropical and so eating them would definitely list my spirit in the wake of all of this cold grueling weather. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I didn't know I needed a tart tamper until today:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. These look so delicious!! Looking forward to Christmas treats :) You make the best cookies!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I did not know all of that about pineapples! These look delicious, though!

    ReplyDelete

***************************************************************************
How am I supposed to relax in a world where “truffle” can mean either chocolate or fungus?
- Dan Piraro
***************************************************************************
Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep smiling!
Pam
***************************************************************************

POPULAR POSTS ON THIS BLOG


“Mámá was fond of saying that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels—an aphorism I was pretty sure she'd cribbed from the thinspiration sites she subscribed to online—but I believed that anyone who said such things had never tasted chili-cheese fries with melted cheddar, fresh ground beef, and Tapatio sauce.”

~ Nenia Campbell


DINNER PARTY

DINNER PARTY
Jules-Alexandre Grun

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

ᴡᴏᴏ ʜᴏᴏ!!!

United States 7.3.16

Flag Counter

Global Visitors 7.3.16

Flag Counter

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs

ᴍɪɴɴɪᴇ❣ 13 ʏᴇᴀʀs
May 5, 2004…

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤

ᴍᴏᴏᴄʜᴇʀ ❤ ʀɪᴘ ❤
May 5, 2004 – Dec 16, 2014

THIS BLOG LAUNCHED OCTOBER 29, 2009

StatCounter

Total Pageviews