all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Chex Mix, My Way



Chex Mix ruled back in the late 1950’s and 60’s and it was all home made then.  There were no bags of it in the market in those days!

The 60's


I start with the original Chex Mix recipe and crank it up a few notches with minced garlic, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce and a few dashes of hot sauce.  Then pour it over a mix of cereal, snack crackers and nuts.  It’s garlicky and spicy and you will not be buying this version in the grocery store!

I make a large batch of it and give it to family, friends and neighbors at Christmas time.  If you’ve never made Chex mix, you’ve got to give it a try!  It’s pure crunchy yum!


Chex Mix, My Way

Ingredients:

3 cups Corn Chex
3 cups Wheat Chex
3 cups Rice Chex
2 cups Goldfish Xtra Cheddar
3 cups Ritz Bits – Cheese
2 cups Planters Salt & Pepper Nut Mix
1 cup whole cashews
2 cups Gardetto’s Roasted Garlic Rye Chips
2 cups Bagel Chips
2 cups Bugels
2 to 2½ sticks butter
6 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
3 dashes hot sauce


Method:

In a large aluminum foil roasting pan, combine first 10 ingredients. 
Divide evenly between 2 aluminum foil roasting pans or baking sheets with high sides.
In a microwave-safe bowl, add remaining ingredients and microwave until the butter is melted; stir well.
Pour sauce over chex mix evenly between 2 pans, stirring well to cover it all as your pour.
Bake in a 250-degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Let cool and store in an airtight container.

Grab a handful and enjoy!!!



Be sure to enter my CSN Giveaway for a $35 gift certificate that I posted on December 17th!



Also, check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway!






16 comments:

Sanjeeta kk said...

What a wonderful breakfast recipe. Love the spices you added, garlic powder with chex, sounds interesting. Merry Christmas to you and your family, Pam.

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

At Christmas, I give out my Mex Mix recipe. It uses taco seasoning to make the Chex Mix. One year I didn't make it for my Christmas baskets, and I ended up having to make batches of it, and then take it back to the people, we delivered baskets to because they were so disappointed that I hadn't made any. Your recipe sounds delicious all of the additions you made, and I am sure if you didn't make it one year, you would have a lot of disappointed people!

Torviewtoronto said...

healthy snack looks wonderful
enjoy your holidays

Mary said...

Gosh, this looks good! It is a perfect treat to keep on hand for unexpected guests. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Beansieleigh said...

Oh boy!.. Does THIS sound good!.. I just wanted to let you know I tried (and posted) your jam cookies (I'm not even gonna TRY to spell the kol-somethin' word!)... Well, I just wanted to tell you how MUCH I LOVED this recipe! It's a keeper, and an official baking tradition at my house from now on! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!.. And Merry Christmas to you! ~tina

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Merry Merry Christmas! May your stocking be filled with blessings!

Hugs, Carrie

Love the Chex Mix recipe...thanks!

Lynda said...

Oh yum-we love the homemade chex mix at our house! Some really good things came out of the 50's, didn't they?
Have a wonderful Christmas Pam!

Clements Family said...

What a great recipe!! Hope you have a great Christmas!

Dishesdone said...

Chex your way sounds great!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Alessandra said...

You know? I think that it is a great idea to do it yourself! And more original too, you can put what you like in it.

I am just worried about 'some' poeple in my family picking out all the best nuts!

Pegasuslegend said...

Pam we make this all the time the only thing we add differently is Captain Crunch peanut butter cereal its amazing in this one...try it sometime,..your recipe is absolutely perfect love it! merry christmas so great to find you this year , hope all is perfect for your holiday!

Country Dreaming said...

Oooo, I love the original Chex Mix,
it reminds me of Christmas and my Mom.

Happy Christmas.

Melinda

Pam said...

Sanjeeta kk, thank you and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Linda, that's great with the taco seasoning. I will be trying that next year. Yes, people expect it as you well know and I'm sure your family and friends love yours!

Torviewtoronto, thanks and Happy Holidays your way!

Mary, it is a great thing to have on hand. Thanks!

Beansieleigh, great! Thanks so much. I'm glad you liked the cookies! They're good and easy also. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Carrie, thanks so much! Here's wishing you and yours a great Merry Christmas and the best in the New Year.

Lynda, yes, good things did come out of the 50's and chex mix was definitely one of them. You have a wonderful Christmas also.

Clements Family, thank you! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Merry Christmas!

Dishesdone, thanks! And a Merry Christmas to you and yours and a Happy New Year!

Alessandra, yes, that happens. It seems everyone likes the cashews.

Pegasuslegend, I never would've thought of the CC peanut butter cereal. Bet it's great and I'll have to try it next year. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hope it's a great one!

Country Dreaming, glad this brought back good memories for you. Merry Christmas your way also.

laurie said...

I just made mine last night..Ill give yours a try for New Years!

Merry Christmas!

My Little Space said...

Pam, wishing you & your family a very Merry Christmas. Hope you're having a terrific time & enjoy the night. May god bless you all. Hope I've more time for everyone of you ladies & hopefully I didn't miss out anyone of you.
Sending my best wishes,
Kristy ((hugs))

Erin said...

This sounds absolutely fantastic! We love Chex Mix too but not the store bought kind. it has no flavor. Homemade is the way to go. And I love all the extras you add!!!