all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Parker House Rolls



Nothing beats hot homemade bread ~ it’s just my opinion.

Baking your own bread may be a bit “old fashioned” but it is one of the most therapeutic, rewarding things I can think of.  There is a wonderful feeling when you can admire the bread you made coming out of the oven and saying, “I made this all by myself.”  What a feeling!

I’ve baked a lot of bread over the years but lately, I have been experimenting with making dinner rolls.  Bill especially loves Parker House rolls so that is the one I’ve had my trials with.  Some did not rise well; another yielded a one-bite roll, with another rising to the point that I thought the oven door would pop open just like it did for Lucy. 

And then I came across this recipe by Alex Guarnaschelli in Food Network Magazine…

She has a great recipe for Parker House Rolls that I have made twice.  The dough rose well but what I found unique was that it did not require kneading after rising.  I don’t believe I’ve ever made yeast bread that was not kneaded for 10 or so minutes.  It did take a long time to rise though, 2 and one-half hours. 

The first time I made these, I thought they were a little large after baking.  This time, I cut an extra row for smaller rolls.  Over-all, it is an easy recipe that just requires time and I will definitely be making them again!

These buttery pull-apart Parker House Rolls are perfect for Thanksgiving dinner!


Yeast and flour mixture


Rising

Cut

Baked



Here’s Alex Guarnaschelli’s recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4-ounce packet active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 7 1/2 to 8 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus softened butter for brushing
  • 2 cups whole milk, at room temperature
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling

Directions

Bloom the yeast.
Measure out 1/2 cup warm water and check the temperature: It should be between 110 degrees F and 120 degrees F (comfortable bathwater temperature). Sprinkle the yeast into a large bowl, add the warm water and whisk in the sugar. Let sit 1 minute (it should bubble and froth slightly), then gently stir in 1 cup flour. Set aside near the stove while you prepare the dough.
Make the dough.
Mix the melted butter and milk in a mixer with the hook attachment on low speed. Add the eggs and mix until blended. Scrape in the yeast mixture and mix until incorporated. Add 6 1/2 cups flour and 1 tablespoon salt; mix until the dough forms a ball, 2 to 3 minutes, adding up to 1/2 cup more flour if the dough is too wet and sticky.
Let it rise.
Brush a large bowl with softened butter. Transfer the dough to the bowl, cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place, 2 hours to 2 hours, 30 minutes. The dough should double in volume.
Shape the dough.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dust a clean flat surface with flour and turn the dough out onto it. Flour your hands; gently press the dough into a 16-by-8-inch rectangle, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick (don't use a rolling pin).
Cut the dough.
With the short side in front of you, cut the dough in half lengthwise with a floured knife. Then slice crosswise into 12 strips.
Shape the dough.
One at a time, fold each strip of dough unevenly in half so the top part slightly overlaps the bottom half, then tuck the overhang underneath. Place the rolls seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet in 3 tightly packed rows. (If making in advance, wrap the baking sheet tightly in plastic wrap and freeze up to 3 weeks.)
Bake the rolls.
Bake until the rolls are bursting at the seams and golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. (If frozen, bake 25 minutes at 325 degrees F, then 10 minutes at 375 degrees F.) Remove from the oven and brush with softened butter. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.

A hot roll from the oven, a pat of butter ~ now that’s some kind of love!



Here’s wishing you all a Happy Safe Blessed Thanksgiving!




31 comments:

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I love home made bread but with only two of us I find I always have too much. It is OK at the weekends when Nigel is home, but during the week I eat none and Nigel only has sliced bread for sandwiches. These sound delicious though maybe at the weekend.... Diane

Bo said...

Pam I totally agree nothing beats fresh homemade bread. Happy Thanksgiving!

Susan said...

Oh gosh, Pam, they sure smell good and look beautiful.

Zia Elle said...

Completely agree!!! Nothing better that homemade bread, wonderfull!!

Gloria said...

OMG Pam I love these rolls look fantastic! and yummy, I have to try soon! my dear Have a lovely and nice Thanksgiving! gloria

jose manuel said...

Que bollitos más apetecibles, Saludos

Michael Toa said...

I cannot wait try this. :)
And it's true, nothing beats fresh homemade bread.
Have a happy thanksgiving Pam. Michael

Kathleen said...

Happy Thanksgiving Pam! I've never made home made rolls for Thanksgiving but I'm hoping to change that this year. These look like the perfect rolls for me to try. ;)

V@WhimsyLamb said...

I am hoping to make homemade rolls next year,this looks like a great recipe!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

You are so right, nothing beats hot homemade breads! Have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving with your wonderful family!

Raina said...

I agree; there is nothing like home-baked bread. Your rolls look amazing. I want one with lots of butter. I like that this recipe makes a good amount too. Thanks for sharing it:)

The Food Hound said...

Baking bread might be old fashioned, but it's a dying art that I LOVE! Have a lovely Thanksgiving-- gorge on those rolls, you deserve it!

laurie said...

I love to make bread...these look wonderful!

Alessandra said...

I share your opinion about freshly baked home bread
:-)

Good looking rolls, make me think of a country kitchen with lovely aromas and the smell of fresh butter too!

Have a lovely Thanksgiving

ciao
Alessandra

kitchen flavours said...

The rolls looks lovely. There's nothing like the smell of homemade bread! Happy Thanksgiving!

scrambledhenfruit said...

My mom always makes Parker House rolls, and they're my favorite. This recipe looks easy and delicious!

Shannon said...

Stopping by to wish you and your turkeys a Happy Thanksgiving!

I agree, homemade bread/rolls are the best. Have you tried the famous Lion House Rolls? They are sooooo good! I found them over at Mommyskitchen.net.

Clements Family said...

There is nothing better than home made rolls....those look amazing! Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeannie said...

Totally agree that these rolls are lovely! Happy Thanksgiving Pam:D

Fresh Local and Best said...

Freshly baked rolls are one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving dinner. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Monet said...

Hi Pam! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner! (I'm sure all the food was great!) I've been wanting to make these Parker house rolls for a good while now. I'm glad to see you had such success. Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a lovely holiday weekend!

Kelly said...

Despite living in Boston for 8 years I shockingly NEVER at the Parker House. Such a shame. I have had those delightful rolls though and believe this is one recipe that is definitely worth passing on.

Chris said...

Despite having tried a lot of bread, Parker House rolls have been my favorite since I was a kid. You just can beat them.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Love Parker House Rolls! Have you ever been to the Parker House in Boston? I don't live very far from Boston, so it used to be an occasional stop! Here's a link to check out the history of the rolls - enjoy!

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/parkerhouserolls

Pegasuslegend said...

Wow going to have to bookmark this one! amazing talent you have with breads! love this one Happy Thanksgiving! belated :)

The Sugar Queen said...

I wholeheartedly agree, Pam. I can almost see the steam rising from these rolls. They look delicious!

Healthy and Homemade said...

I agree! Homemade bread is the BEST!

Velva said...

You are right there is nothing that beats warm hot rolls. Cheers to you for making them from scratch. They look really good.

theUngourmet said...

I really wanted to make rolls but I chickened out. These are so pretty! Maybe I will try them for Christmastime. :) Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.
PS- I love your weather gadget!

Jody Blue said...

I'll be book marking this one, they do look good!

Danielle said...

Mmmm! I've gotta have this with my dinner tonight!