all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, November 29, 2010

Pan-Fried Oysters



"Why, then the world's mine oyster, which I with sword will open."  William Shakespeare, 'The Merry Wives of Windsor'

Do you “slurp” your oysters?  I remember Dad doing that with oysters straight out of the container or sometimes on a cracker.  Then he introduced Bill to it. 

You may remember, I made Mom’s oyster “dressing” for Thanksgiving.  The next evening, we feasted on a dinner of pan-fried oysters before Bill could eat them all raw.  I prefer them dredged with cornmeal or crackermeal but this time I just used flour; Bill’s favorite.

The oysters fried in just a couple of minutes ~ crispy on the outside and just barely cooked on the inside.  I doused them with plenty of hot sauce but, they would’ve really been great piled high on a hoagie roll for an Oyster Po’ Boy!

It would be fabulous to live along the Chesapeake Bay, and then we could enjoy fresh oysters in their shell. Living here, I’m sure if we fed our craving, we would be broke by now! 





Pan-Fried Oysters

1 container shucked oysters, drained (save the liquor for soup or stew)
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
½ teaspoon pepper
Oil for frying
Hot sauce

Heat the oil.
Combine flour and Old Bay Seasoning and pepper.
Dredge oysters and fry a few at a time until golden.  Drain.
Serve immediately


Delicious!!!




Check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway!




Pin It

25 comments:

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Yummy! Everything is better fried! I wish I had a plate of your oysters right now!

StephenC said...

I love fried oysters although I've never made them for myself. Gosh, why not?

Susan said...

Love fried oysters....oysters on the half shell.....Your's look great, crispy and moist. YUM

Design Wine and Dine said...

I love these and LOVE how the recipe is SOOO simple yet the dish so delicious and special feeling!

I do something similar with bay scallops and now I will be making these. :) YUMMM!

Lisa said...

What a delicious way to make oysters and just the right size for munching.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I have to admit that I will go no further than slurping them raw, Yum yum. Diane

Cathy said...

My mom used to use cracker meal so that's my favorite. Yummmm, I just love crispy fried oysters with a little cocktail sauce.

Julie Harward said...

Thanks for your visit...these look so yummy! love them! ;D

Tangos Treasures said...

Yummy I love oysters!

kitchen flavours said...

I love oysters! Just had them raw a couple of days ago at a Spanish restaurant, yummy! Yours sounds really delicious!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I don't like them raw, but I love them fried! We always have fried oysters to go along with Thanksgiving dinner. Yours look delicious!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Pam sorry I have been AWOL for a while. I have limited bytes with my verizon broadband and I used them all up and boy was that hard not to visit friends on here.. lol
Wish I had been there for these oysters. Like Bill that is just the way I love them too.
Can not do the slurping though..no not me.
Hope your doing well
Love
Maggie

Jeannie said...

Delicious is the word to use alright!

Pam said...

Linda, I so agree with the fried thing!

StephenC, maybe it's time to change that!

Susan, they were crispy for sure on the outside. Yum!!!

Design Wine and Dine, oh, I love scallops and will have to try that.

Lisa, yes! A perfect size for munching!

Diane, Bill so agrees with you!

Cathy, my mom used cracker meal also and it's great!

Julie, thanks and have a good day!

TT, me too!!!

kitchen flavours, they are a treat for sure!

scrambledhenfruit, thanks! I agree with you and like them fried.

Grandma Yellow Hair, great that you don't slurp. ;) Good luck with verizon! Love...

Jeannie, yup! That says it all!

Clements Family said...

My husband LOVES oysters! This is his kind of dish!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

My nana loved oyster stew, I used to buy them for her all the time! Your's look like they'd also be delicious on a roll with some sauce! Yummo!

Mary

Gloria said...

This look yummy Pam!! gloria

Marguerite said...

Love fried oysters and now that you've got me craving them, I think I'll go down to Chris's Poboys and have an Oyster Poboy for lunch! lol

Monet said...

I miss living in Maryland! These fried oysters look so very good. I wish I had a plate beside me right now. Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you are having a joy-filled afternoon!

claire said...

yum! these look amazing!

Raina said...

I have never eaten oysters. My husand loves them, though. Yours do look yummy:)

Pegasuslegend said...

have heard these are wonderful never had them, after seeing this I am really interested that golden color is calling me!

Jenn said...

I love oysters...on the half shell, as oysters rockefeller...but fried is my all time favorite way! These look wonderful, Pam!

Karen said...

Our tradition for New Year's Eve has always been to have lobster, but I can't find live lobsters here. We've done shrimp since and I'm thinking that oysters would be a great addition!

Chris said...

This reminds me of my childhood because my mom would fry oysters for my dad and he always treasured those meals. I never could stand them fried although I grew to LOVE them roasted.

Like you pointed out, it's a personal thing, whether you like them fried, roasted, or eat 'em raw.