all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, November 19, 2010

Mom’s Oyster “Dressing”



Mom made this dish every Thanksgiving and Christmas and we called it oyster dressing however; in truth, it’s probably scalloped oysters.   

This is a repost from when I first started this blog and had no followers, so I want to share it with you oyster lovers now.  It’s a favorite dish for us during the holidays and Mom made it as far back as I can remember. I later prepared it for Bill’s family with it being an instant hit.  It’s always a race to see if it can be made before some people devour the raw oysters ~ you know who you are, Bill...

This oyster recipe is very simple --- the briny oysters are layered with butter, half and half and crumbled crackers.  Do not skimp on the ingredients; use real butter, half and half and a rich butter cracker.  Do not crush the crackers into dust; crumble them into bite-size chunks.  You can add another layer of cracker between the oysters but it will not bake as crisp and will have a milder oyster flavor.




The French poet Léon-Paul Fargue said it perfectly, “Eating an oyster is “like kissing the sea on the lips.” For James Beard, oysters were simply “one of the supreme delights that nature has bestowed on man. ... Oysters lead to discussion, to contemplation, and to sensual delight. There is nothing quite like them.”

It has an addicting oyster taste that makes it a special side dish.  Serve it bubbly hot and it will be a requisite on your holiday table also.  Talk about savory and delectable, this is it! 

Let the drooling begin Bubba!  I know it’s your favorite dish!


Mom’s Oyster Dressing

Ingredients:

2 pints shucked oysters, reserving liquor
1 stick butter
1-1/2 to 2 sleeves Club Cracker, about 70
¾ to 1 cup half and half
Salt and pepper, to taste

Butter a 9” x 13” baking dish liberally.
Crumble crackers into chunks
Spread half of the crackers in the baking dish.
Top with one pint of oysters.
Dot with ½ stick butter.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Repeat layers.
Pour reserved oyster liquor over top.
Pour half and half over all, just to top of layers, do not cover completely.
Bake in 375 degree oven till bubbly and top is brown, about 30-45 minutes.

Whatever you call it, it’s Oystery Delectable!



Check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway!





Pin It

35 comments:

  1. I am really hesitant to eat raw ousters as some people do here but this is a perfect recipe because you bake them. I will definitely try it. Thanks for sharing Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm my mouth is watering. I love oysters but can't afford them in the UK. Roll on my return to France :-) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look really yummy Pam! nice dish! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since my first trimester I have been thinking of Thanksgiving at your house!! I am so excited for this oyster dressing! It's so delicious. I can't wait!! YUM!!
    Love you!! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love oysters, I am really going to have to try this recipe! looks wonderful Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to send a copy of this to my mom, she will love it! She lives in Florida and loves to make seafood dishes. I am also adding this recipe to my Christmas menu.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katerina, you're welcome and here's hoping you give it a go.

    Debbie, you got it!

    Terrianne, Call me Ree, thanks! I can tell you love oysters too.

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, hope you make this when you're back in France. It's really good!

    Gloria, thank you! Have a great day!

    jose manuel, gracias! Las ostras son deliciosas.

    Hi sweet Kathy! Can't wait to see you and Matt! I'm glad you like the oyster dish. You think Baby Boy will like it someday too? Love you!!!

    V@WhimsyLamb, great! Another oyster lover! It is soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of this, but I worry that with such a long cooking time the oysters might become kind of "funky". Reassure me via email, pal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh this is so wonderful, I am wat to hungry to be on your blog@

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love oysters and sadly have never had them in my stuffing! This reciep looks great, thank you for sharing it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda www.mykindofcooking.com, cool! It's good and I bet your mom gets much fresher oysters than we do.

    StephenC, it's on the way!

    Jennifurla, lol! Have a great weekend!

    Design Wine and Dine, this is sooo good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not the biggest oyster fan but you make this dressing sound GOOD! Love that it's a passed down recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm...Turkey, stuffing, oyster dressing, cranberries...

    Best meal of the year- by the best cook I know.

    (Is that enough shameless sucking-up to guarantee leftovers?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Must be a northern thing...and I was born and raised in Michigan!! Oyster Dressing appeared to be my Michigan family favorite...but never shucked my oyster for a Thanksgiving tradition!! Still love my cornbread stuffing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you make any more I ate it all! wow looks awesome...next time make enough for the rest, this wouldnt have made it past me for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oysters for Thanksgiving are a family tradition for me, but we usually fry them. My grand-dad was an oysterman so oysters were plentiful. This dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the memories Pam. While none of the rest of us would touch oyster dressing, my mom always made a special small dish of oyster dressing for my dad. I'd forgotten about that until I saw this post.p

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love oyster dressing. Unfortunately, it always seems no one else does. This looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No oysters in my corner of the world and I love them. I have read about this, but have never had teh chance to tastel I'm sure I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you decided to repost this delicious recipe. I usually make only one new thing on Thanksgiving. This year I am going to give this a try. My husband loves oysters and this will be a nice surprise. Thank you in advance for what I know will be a great success.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love oyster dressing but haven't had it in many years. My grandmother used to make it every year for Christmas. Thanks for the wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Joanne, sometimes those are the best recipes!

    Bubba, LOL!!! Yup, you get the leftovers for sure! Love ya!


    Mr. Bill, why not both? I make the stuffing I posted a couple of days ago and this oyster dish. Guaranteed to make everyone happy here! I love cornbread stuffing also but have to draw the line somewhere. ;)

    Pegasuslegend, lol! I wondered where it all went... I will be sure to do that the next time!

    scrambledhenfruit, oh, lucky you with all those oysters. Loved them fried also and it makes me crave an oyster po'boy!

    Mags @ the Other Side of 50, she was one great mom to do that for your dad. And he was lucky as he didn't have to share. ;)

    Julie, maybe this would convert them. I know what you mean though.

    Rita, so sad. Just wish we got them fresh from the water.

    From Beyond My Kitchen Window, great! I hope it's a hit with all there! I like to add new things also and this year it will be a cranberry dish with jalapeno jelly.

    Brenda, great food memories are the best and glad this did that for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This dressing sounds incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never had an oyster stuffing, but it seems quite popular! I actually just had my first oyster the other day and actually enjoyed it, so I would love to try this !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum, never tried anything like it but it looks good! Great idea to repost some of the favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your oyster dressing looks fab and so delicious! My mother always made it too, and I just posted her version. Great minds think alike!:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kissing the sea on the lips...I just love that! Thank you for taking the time to share one of your older posts. I have never heard of using oysters in this way, and now I'm happy to have a new recipe to try! I'm all about recipes that get passed down from generation to generation. Thanks again, love!

    ReplyDelete
  28. what a fun dish, i love food that comes with a story of home. it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe and family time with us! I have never had oyster stuffing, I do enjoy oysters and it sounds delicious!
    I Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds great...I am a huge oyster fan!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've always wanted to use oysters at TG, but never have. Next year!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam