all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Breakfast Pizza




Years ago, a woman at work told me that her grade school daughter ate cold pizza for breakfast that morning.  I’m guessing she was waiting for me to be aghast but I told her that was probably better for her than some of the cereals, etc. out there. 

Cold pizza right out of the refrigerator sounds like a good thing to me early in the morning!  I doubt if my sons ever had pizza for breakfast when they were young as there probably was never any left over…

Last month, this pizza by the sugar queen got my attention and it is a true breakfast pizza.  I actually made it for dinner the other evening instead of breakfast.  It’s simple and good, a little rich with the crescent rolls.  Bill gave it rave reviews and so did I.  I used cooked crumbled bulk pork sausage and lots of Co-Jack.  Thanks Sugar Queen!  It was delicious!




Here’s Sugar Queen’s recipe:

Breakfast Pizza

1 (8-oz) container Pillsbury crescent rolls
1 (10-oz) pkg sausage links, cooked according to pkg directions and sliced*
4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded or sliced
4 oz Cheddar or Colby (I used a whole 8-oz pkg of shredded Co-Jack cheese - original recipe calls for all Monterey Jack cheese. I  have always done half Monterey Jack and half Cheddar or Colby)
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Generously grease a 9 x 13" pan and lay the crescent rolls flat, pressing the seams together. Layer on the sausages, and then the cheese. Beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over all and bake 425 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, or until cooked through and cheese is melted and browned. Do not overbake.
*This would be good with a bulk Italian sausage, browned. You can use any sausage you want, really.


It would be perfect for breakfast/brunch over the holidays!



Check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway!



Pin It

34 comments:

  1. Oh yeah Babe - as Emeril would say

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like what we had for dinner last night...always good! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you and your husband liked it, Pam! (Thanks also, for the nice email! It's nice to hear from someone who has made something I've posted.)I made this again the other night, and added some extra sausage. Can't go wrong there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breakfast prefection!

    Great to get new ideas - Thanks Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a sucker for pizza. I can eat it 24 hours a day. This one is the perfect candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well...since pizza is my last-meal-on-earth food...i LOVE this..and YES !!! i LOVE cold pizza in the morning...

    i will surely be making this very soon...would be a good one for the night before thanksgiving..i think i will make it then...looks so cozy & comforting...love it

    one week to thanskgiving :-)
    kary
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! I love dishes like this for company! Perfect to keep on hand for the holidays!!! Thanks Pam for sharing - Delicious "pizza"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this idea. I keep a list in my "recipe" document so I can remember where to find things. This has just gone in there. Peter is fond of saying, "Sometimes I love having breakfast for lunch or even dinner."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet anyone you made this for, with all that ooey, gooey cheese, would love to stay over at your house--just to wake up to this for breakfast. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is no way this isnt just down right awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love breakfast pizza! I make big batches of it for the youth group at our church. I have never tried using crescent rolls as the crust. I also add bacon to the breakfast pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious! I may have to try this one cold Sunday morning. My husband and I love pizza, but he is convinced you can't have it for breakfast - I'll prove him wrong, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never tried pizza for breakfast, but this could make me think again. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julie Harward, good meal for sure!

    The Sugar Queen, I have to try it with Italian sausage the next time and with bacon also. And extra would work too. It was really very good! Thanks again for the recipe!

    Brownieville Girl, yes! And it's easy too!

    Katerina, me too! I've never met a pizza I didn't like!

    My Farmhouse Kitchen, woo hoo! You'll love it! The crescent rolls jazz this pizza up. Hope that last meal is way off in the future! ;)

    Design Wine and Dine, easy, easy and I could hardly wait for it to come out of the oven.

    StephenC, hope you try this one for sure. I so agree with Peter, he's one smart man!

    Terrianne, Call me Ree, it does look gooey cheezy good! Yeah, it would be a great thing for you to wake up to here!

    Jennifurla, absolutely! SQ did this just right.

    Linda www.mykindofcooking.com, bet those kids are at church all the time just for your cooking. ;)
    The crescent rolls definitely gave it a good different taste. I thought about putting bacon in it and will be doing that the next time.

    Caroline, you definitely have to make this just to prove something to your hubby. Can't imagine anyone not liking this!

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, it's so good Diane and I hope you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know my husband (along with most men) would love this! Heck, I like sausage too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have people coming in for deer hunting this weekend. This would be a perfect breakfast if the weather keeps them in one morning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love breakfast pizza!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My family would love this for breakfast or any time:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect recipe for when my kids are all here for T'giving and I have a houseful for breakfast! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can see why this got so many rave reviews...it sounds delicious! This would be great to serve while company is in town or at a holiday brunch! Thank you for sharing, love. I hope you are having a relaxing Wednesday night!

    ReplyDelete
  21. SavoringTime in the Kitchen, you're right! They love the sausage.

    Karen, sounds like you will be having some venison soon. Yum!

    Red, thanks! It's a keeper!

    laurie, hope you try it one of these days!

    Raina, it's so easy and tastes great!

    scrambledhenfruit, it is perfect for a breakfast for company!

    Monet, thanks! This dish certainly makes breakfast easy and it's filling too. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds great! I love cold pizza, my hubby thought I was nuts the first time he saw me eat it, he's now a convert! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea! Recipe looks great! My kids always ate leftovers for breakfast, they were never big on cereals!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum! If I can't have eggs benedict, I'll take breakfast pizza--or most any pizza.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  25. We love breakfast pizza. We use biscuit dough though. Yours looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love breakfast casseroles - your's looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum! I've done something like this with pillsbury canned biscuits, but never the crescents..will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Looks so yummy and I can't wait to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My son would LOVE this. He is a pizza anytime of day kid!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My kids would love to eat this pizza on a school morning. Great idea! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I could eat this, any time, Pam. Another great recipe, for you.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam