all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, October 15, 2010

Mom’s Chicken Casserole and CUMC




Every month at our church, Cary United Methodist Church, the women's "Dorcas Circle" gathers for a luncheon and meeting.  This month was my turn to prepare the main entrée and I chose this chicken casserole to make for them.

They’re a great group of women whom always have a fun time talking, laughing, enjoying lunch together and then settling down for the program.  Pastor Shirley joins us when time permits and we were honored with her presence on this day. 




This chicken casserole will rise to the occasion as a great entrée for a crowd or for a perfect dinner at home every time.  It’s Mom’s recipe, not sure of the origin, but I’ve made it for years and we love it.   This dish is tasty with the succulent chicken pieces and the savory stuffing mix; containing flavors most everyone will enjoy. 

It has to be made ahead of time and allowed to refrigerate over night.  A lot of times when I still worked, I made it on the weekend, froze it, set it in the refrigerator the morning of serving day ~ then after work just popped the casserole in the oven for dinner.  Easy, easy! 

It’s a hearty casserole that I bet your family would enjoy for dinner like we do!  I think the women in the Dorcas Circle enjoyed it also as it was about all eaten.  It’s perfect comfort food for this time of year!


The goods


Ready for the oven

Voila!

Mom’s Chicken Casserole

Ingredients:

4 large boneless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
8 ounce package herb-seasoned stuffing mix
½ cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons pimento
½ teaspoon pepper

Method:

Cook chicken in simmering water until tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove chicken from broth.
Strain broth, reserving 2-2/3 cups.
Cut meat into bite-size pieces.
Combine chicken soup with half the broth.  Mix well.  Set aside.
Combine mushroom soup with remaining broth.  Mix well.  Set aside.
Combine stuffing mix, butter, pimentos and pepper, reserve ¼ cup for garnish.
Spoon half of remaining stuffing mix into a greased 13” x 9” baking dish.
Top with half of the chicken.
Cover with chicken soup mixture.
Place remaining chicken over top.
Pour mushroom soup mixture over layers.
Sprinkle with reserved stuffing mixture for garnish.
Cover and refrigerate over-night.
Remove 15 minutes before baking and uncover.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until well heated.  Do not under-bake.
Serves 8-10

It’s a savory delicious chicken dish!

           




There’s still time to enter the CSN Stores giveaway that I posted on October 8th!



Check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway!







Pin It

34 comments:

  1. That looks good!! That would be a perfect dish to use up thanksgiving left overs!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I will be saving this one, too. I have a whole folder of your recipes!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, that looks so good--and it's made with things I always have on hand. I just love recipes like that!! Thanks for sharing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm... talk about comfort food. I love casseroles when they use the soup and stuffing mix, so good. That reminds me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so 50's! I love it. Remeniscent of my mom's pot roast with dry onion soup mix and Campbell's mushroom soup.

    I'm curious. What does "Dorcas" circle mean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great simple meal, I bet everyone enjoyed it. I would.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOOKS GREAT WOW! -what a great thing to do for church!

    -HAPPY FRIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks super amazing pam....drooooooooling here..simply irrestible casserole chicken dish...yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a comfort food Pam and it is great for as i work everyday. I can prepare it during weekend and then bake it on a weekday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great chicken casserole recipe=thanks Pam!...Hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend; kisses to M/M!

    ReplyDelete
  11. pup, exactly! Great for leftover turkey and stuffing!

    Carol at Serendipity, great! Glad you like this one, it's really good! Have a wonderful weekend, Carol!

    Sheila, yes! It has ingredients that are usually at hand so it makes mealtime easy!

    Clements Family, thank you and have a good day!

    Lyndsey, it is a great comfort food dish, especially on a chilly day!

    StephenC, lol! 50's all the way! Dorcas was the Biblical woman who was raised from the dead by the Apostle Peter. She was known for her acts of charity and good works such as making garments for other people.

    Jennifurla, it is! They did like it and I'm glad you would also.

    Torviewtoronto, hope you try it as it's delicious and easy also!

    BusyB, thanks! It's a fun day every month!

    Sanyukta Gour(Bayes), thank you! It's yummy for sure!

    Katerina, yes! I did that many times and had a good dinner on the table with little effort after work.

    Jacqueline, you're welcome! Glad you like it. You have a great weekend also and kisses to your adorable ones!

    ReplyDelete
  12. .....there ya go with another great recipe to wow and fill up hungry tummies at gatherings. Thanks girl!

    God bless and have a magnificent weekend sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Que plato tan espectacular, me encanta la pinta que tiene. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yum this looks and sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this recipe, sounds about as savory as you can get! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somewhere along the line casseroles developed a bad name and that has always bugged me. I love casseroles like this. They're one dish meals! This sounds like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! Perfect comfort food...this is the kind of dish I crave when the weather cools down. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a perfect dish for a luncheon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nothing....tops going to meeting food~carry ins are the bestest!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely way to get together with your spiritual community! These times of fellowship are so precious, and it seems like you made a delicious meal to serve to your friends. I'm all about ease when preparing food for a big crowd...I'm bookmarking this for future use!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This would make a great covered dish- comfort food at its finest!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pam, we must be related! My mom also made a casserole similar to this. I made it and photographed it a couple of days ago for a post in November. A friend of my mom's gave her the recipe years ago and I also grew up eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Chicken casseroles are PERFECT to make for events like this! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. being a southern boy, I do love casseroles, and I do love church suppers! I miss the days when there was a church social just about any weekend. what a perfect way to gather with your friends and make new friends while celebrating life with wonderful food!
    Thanks for stirring memories and making me homesick!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks really delicious! Wow, would really love to try this someday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We LOVE chicken casserole. This recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. nezzy, thank you and have a great Sunday!

    jose manuel, gracias! Alegra que te guste!

    Pegasuslegend, thanks for the visit and have a good day!

    Kirby, it is! Thank you!

    Mags @ the Other Side of 50, Yes, these one dish meals are great once in a while.

    Karen, me too! They're great for cooler weather!

    Corgidogmama, you're so right! The carry-ins the women bring are always good there!

    Monet, yes! Meetings like this are a good get-together that is fun to meet with friends.

    scrambledhenfruit, love that comfort food. Have a great day!

    Linda www.mykindofcooking.com, too funny! I think we're long-lost cousins! Here's looking forward to your post and your take on this dish!

    Joanne, thanks! Most people like this dish.

    Chef Dennis, you are right on spot! Loved all those ice cream socials and pot luck church suppers growing up. I'm glad this brought back good memories for you!

    kitchen flavours, I hope you give it a try! It's yummy!

    Alwayzbakin, thanks so much! Here's wishing you a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pam, I make something similar but I like your Mom's better! I will be copying it down.

    Thanks for visiting my Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  29. gld, here's hoping you enjoy it like we do!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love dishes like this that are easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time. We all need a dish like this during busy weeks. Yours sounds great. The women in your group must have loved it. I bet they cannot wait until it is your turn again:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. You can never have too many casserole recipes...Does it have to sit in the fridge over night or is that just a convenience thing?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Raina, thanks! Yes, it's perfect for a group and nice and easy.

    Bo, I agree! Yes, it is supposed to sit in the fridge over night so the soup flavors can seep into the stuffing.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam