all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, October 11, 2010

Cajun Pepper Steak



I don’t know about all of you good people out there but, I love bell peppers and could eat them about every day, raw or cooked.  And steak is delicious also so this dish is the perfect combo.

I decided to cook the Cajun pepper steak last night for dinner after hearing a neighbor mention it.  It’s a colorful, tasty medley of steak and green and red peppers, loaded with spices.  I favor spicy food, not the case so much with Bill.  So depending on your taste, adjust the spices accordingly; especially the Cajun seasoning. 

Round steak is a tougher cut of meat and takes a longer cooking time but, that is what I like about this recipe.  It has ample cooking time to bind the flavors.  Use sirloin steak for a more tender meat that gets this savory dish to the dinner table quickly.

Cajun pepper steak is the best, especially when served over a mound of rice!



Cajun Pepper Steak

Ingredients:

1½ pounds boneless round steak, fat removed, cut into strips or cubes
1-2 tablespoons canola oil
1 (14½ ounce) can beef broth
1 (14½ ounce) can Cajun-style tomatoes, undrained
½ cup onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried basil
1 to 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, depending on taste
1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips

2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
Hot cooked rice

Method:

In large skillet, cook beef in oil over medium heat until browned.  Drain.
Stir in the broth, tomatoes, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
Cook and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add bell peppers.
Continue cooking for 15 minutes or until meat is tender.

Combine cornstarch and water until smooth.
Stir into meat mixture.
Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
Serve over rice.


It’s a Cajun delight!  Uuummmm!!!



Be sure to enter the CSN Stores giveaway that I posted on October 8th!


Check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and giveaway!



Pin It

42 comments:

Katerina said...

I will sure give it a try Pam. It looks mouthwatering.

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

I love peppers too and always have one or two in my fridge. Your pepper steak looks really delicious. Definitely with rice to mop up all that wonderful gravy.

StephenC said...

I'm with you, I love bell peppers. Though Peter is less fond of them than I, my favorites are actually the green ones. I've made stir-fries much like this numerous times. An excellent meal!

Karen said...

This dish looks wonderful...hearty and comforting! I love the flavors in it, especially all the cajun spice. Yum!

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Love the recipe. That dish has some real pop for sure.

Michael Toa said...

I love peppers too... cooked or raw.
The dish looks delicious.
Have a great day. Michael

Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen said...

Hi Pam ~ I have an award to share with you! I faithfully follow your blog and love the recipes and photos! Please stop by my blog when you're able =)

jose manuel said...

Que delicioso se ve el plato, me lo anoto.

Saludos

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

YUMMY! I love anything with peppers in it. Red bell peppers are my favorite! You have given me another must try recipe!

Kathleen said...

Oh yum! This looks like a wonderful dinner!

Pam said...

Katerina, it is! Thanks!

Biren @ Roti n Rice, me too. I always have a pepper in the fridge. Sometimes mopping is the best!

StephenC, I too love a good stir-fry, especially with peppers! Thank you!

Karen, I'd go heavy on the Cajun seasonings if I had my way. This is so delicious!

Lazaro Cooks! Thanks; I'm glad you like it!

Michael Toa, peppers are the best! They always had a good flavor. Here's wishing you a great rest of the day!

Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen, thanks so much! That is very sweet of you and I always enjoy reading your blog. Have a good day!

jose manuel, gracias! Espero que hacer el plato de carne. Disfrute de ello!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com, me too! Love the taste and colors of them. It's a good dish! Have a great rest of the day!

Kathleen, thanks! It's filled with great flavors!

Kris said...

Great dish. It's so full flavor!

Marguerite said...

Looks fabulous! The only thing that I would add is another tbs. of Cajun seasoning and a few shakes of Tabasco! :) lol

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I love spicy food so this dish is one I am sure to enjoy. Diane

Kristin said...

I always have peppers, onion and garlic on hand. No matter what I make for dinner or if the recipe even calls for it, I add it in. This looks delicious.

theUngourmet said...

Cajun is always yummy! This looks like a great meal. My husband has really been missing beef with all of the chicken I've been cooking up lately. :)

Big Dude said...

The dish looks super good and I'm with you on peppers - we eat alot of them.

From the Kitchen said...

I think I can smell it cooking! Oh my but it looks delicious. I'm a pepper lover as well and, like you, I think the longer cooking dishes give the much-needed blending of flavors time to meld. I'm bookmarking this one for a fall/winter treat.

Best,
Bonnie

Pegasuslegend said...

What an awesome dinner!! wow

Moogie said...

I love the twist on an old favorite.... thanks for sharing.

Eva said...

Oh my goodness! My boyfriend will love this! And I'm sure I will too, but he will definitely be excited about this dish. It looks so mouthwateringly good, will definitely be giving this recipe a try this weekend :)

Leslie said...

oh yes pam, you've hit my family's tastebuds. This sounds great.

Dishesdone said...

Love cajun, those flavors really pop! Would love to have a bowl of that, it's pure comfort food!

Monet said...

I can't eat bell peppers raw (they upset my stomach for some reason) but I love them when they are sweet and tender after cooking! This pepper steak looks delicious and would be great with some homemade tortillas. Thank you for sharing!

Design Wine and Dine said...

We would love this dish! Thanks for the recipe!!!!!

The Food Hound said...

I have never made pepper steak, but I've gotten it at restaurants a few times. This looks really good, and will win the Booze Hound seal of approval, for sure :) Thanks!

Terrianne, Call me Ree said...

I LOVE bell peppers. I was never big on meant, but I tell you what, this dish is something I would have gobbled up bowl after bowl when I still ate it. A good meal never goes unappreciated! This looks wonderful. Bet it smelled great, too. I'll make it for my Grandmother and fiance. They'd love it!!! <3 Thank you.

Sheila said...

Being from Lake Charles Louisiana, I'm all over any type of Cajun food. I don't cook Cajun food often but when I do, it is well appreciated. I can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing. Take care.

Jenn said...

Looks and sounds wonderful, Pam!

Clements Family said...

I love bell peppers! That looks amazing!

food for thought said...

this looks yummy! thanks for stopping by food for thought, i see you are a reader, i hope you will join in, its fun to cook the books!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

this sound so yummy!

Beth said...

This looks terrific! Lots of great flavors.

Mags @ the Other Side of 50 said...

This has my taste buds quivering and my forehead breaking out into a sweat. (that's a good thing)

Looks fantastic!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Sounds delicious! I've never seen cajun tomatoes, I'll keep an eye out for them. Thanks!

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

that truly a tempting n delicious dish..so colorful and falvorfull....yum...

Joanne said...

Love the spices, love the peppers - LOVE THIS MEAL! Perfect for a hectic weeknight!

Louanne said...

Looks luscious, Pam, and I love the combination of flavors!

Barefoot Belle said...

This totally looks like my husband's kind of meal. I'll have to put it on the rotation!

Raina said...

Great recipe Pam! I love bell peppers too, and I love how you have paired them with this spicy beef dish. I think this just might please everyone in my picky family. Thanks for sharing it:)

Seedplanter Designs said...

Pam, I found your blog by accident, and what a delicious accident it was. Do you realize it is after midnight here and my mouth is watering over all these scrumptious recipes? This pepper steak goes on my list.

I need to call it a night. My stomach is now officially growling!

Chris said...

Colorful and gorgeous, I like this one Pam.