all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Monday, September 20, 2010

Smoked Catfish







Bill is posting today and all I have to say is that the catfish was excellent!  Love it prepared in this fashion!

Here’s Bill:

I’ve made many foods on the smoker but even though we love catfish, I never thought about smoking catfish until Pam told me about it after reading on Stephen’s blog, The Obsessive Chef.  It’s pretty simple as it’s a white fish, thin filets and no skin.

Thinking back, Dad made a smoker by taking an old refrigerator and converting it to a smoker.  He was so proficient that people he knew would ask him to smoke the salmon they caught from Lake Michigan.  He smoked all kinds of meat as well as his favorite, cheddar cheese.  Delicious!

Having used only an electric smoker which I thought didn’t really do a great job, I bought a charcoal smoker.  It is so much easier, except I have to learn the nuances of where the heat is the highest and the smoke output is greatest.  I’ll learn it as I plan to smoke a turkey breast soon.





Smoked Catfish

Ingredients:

6 catfish filets, approximately 2 pounds
3 tablespoons coarse black pepper
3 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoons white pepper
Smoked paprika
Crushed dill weed, dried

Mop (marinade):

2 cups seafood stalk
3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice (lemon is desired)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

Method:

Prepare the filets by rubbing coarse black pepper, white pepper and sea salt on both sides.
In a large bow, combine mop ingredients.
Once the mop is prepared, add filets.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
When the smoker is hot and reaches 200 degrees, remove the filets from the refrigerator, reserving the mop.
Apply salt and pepper again.
Rub on a little smoked paprika and dill.
With the heat between 175-200 degrees, the smoking process takes about 2 hours.
Brush reserved mop on filets every 30 minutes.
Catfish filets are done when they flake easily.
Cool.
Wrap in foil and refrigerate.


Served with crackers, it’s a great hors d’oeuvres!


Be sure to enter the $65 CSN giveaway I posted on Sept. 15th!



Check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway.



Pin It

22 comments:

  1. Pam this looks wonderful!!! The recipe seems pretty easy to follow, so I thank you for sharing it.

    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam...how interesting to use this method of cooking especially with a blank canvas such as catfish.
    This dish looks very appetizing indeed ;o)

    Thanks for sharing and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good. Sometimes the "old-fashioned" way is always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smoked catfish sounds intriguing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill I never thought to smoke catfish either. When I first saw the title of the post I was excited to see how it turned out. Growing up near Lake Michigan I've had a lot of smoked fish. My uncle gave me some halibut that he caught in Alaska to smoke for him (I have a charcoal smoker too, and I love it) Thanks for the recipe I'm going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, catfish was next on my list for things to smoke!! This looks wonderful! Thanks for the post, Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a deli concoction you're probably familiar with: smoked whitefish salad. I've made it with whiting (much less expensive than whitefish) and some liquid smoke. Real smoked fish would trump that I'm sure. Enjoyed your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fish must taste delicious with the smokey flavor. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I bet that is amazing...love the smokey flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mari, thanks! It's a good one!

    Foodessa, yes it was tender and flaky! Have a good day!

    kitchen flavours, you're right with the old way! It was so hard to control the heat with the gas smoker.

    bellini valli, thanks and have a great week!

    Lyndsey, Bill says great, you know how delicious smoked fish is! I have mainly smoked salmon so am happy with the catfish. I bet the halibut would be very good also.

    Jenn, looking forward to hearing about your smoked catfish and how you flavor it!

    StephenC, yes, we've had the salad. This fish didn't make it that far though. Thanks for the idea of smoked catfish!

    Biren, it is very tasty! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Esto se ve autentico, que delicia.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my smoker and will smoke anything that comes my way if I get half a chance. I am sure that catfish will taste fantastic. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't had catfish in a while! And I have never had smoked catfish...This looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. With all the fish we eat I have never eaten catfish you just gave me a delicious looking reason why we need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Bill for a great recipe...now I want catfish for lunch! This reminds me of what my grandma would prepare for Friday night supper. So very good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, I am not a catfish fan, I admit it. But I am going to have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can smell the goodness over here in SD, looks great

    ReplyDelete
  18. Smoked fish - just about ANY smoked fish - is one of my favorite gustatory delights! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe it, but I've never had catfish before! But this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Blogs with food are not good to read before bed....looks good.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  21. jose manuel, gracias. Que delicia!

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, love the flavor of smoked food here also.

    pup, it's really good smoked!

    Pegasuslegend, catfish definitely has a unique taste to it.

    Monet, thanks! Glad you like it!

    Jessica, hope you do!

    Jennifurla, amazing how far that aroma travels! Ummm!

    Suldog, right on! It's the best!

    Deborah, you'll have to try it then.

    Country Dreaming, I agree! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pam this is an excellent way to do fish. My son who is a fisherman would love this.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam