all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mustard-Herb Crusted Pork Tenderloin




You know how people brag about their great steak recipe, their great chicken recipe but, who have you heard brag about their great pork tenderloin recipe?  We love pork tenderloin and I’m bragging about this recipe ~ it’s great!

The tenderloin is the leanest and most tender cut of pork and I love the way it almost melts in your mouth.  Dijon mustard is the perfect ingredient for it.  In this recipe, the mustard is brushed on the tenderloin, and then the pork is coated with a crumb mixture for a savory, succulent meat dish for dinner.  This has become our favorite way to enjoy pork tenderloin!


Here’s a little “pork” trivia for you:


Do you know?

… How Wall Street got its name?
 Free-roaming hogs were famous for rampaging through the valuable grain fields of colonial New York City farmers. The Manhattan Island residents chose to block the troublesome hogs with a long, permanent wall on the northern edge of what is now Lower Manhattan. A street came to border this wall -- named aptly enough, Wall Street.



… Where the saying "living high on the hog" came from?
It started among enlisted men in the U.S. Army, who received shoulder and leg cuts of pork while officers received the top loin cuts. So "living high on the hog" came to mean living well.



. . . What's the origin of the saying "pork barrel" politics?"
The phrase is derived from the pre-Civil War practice of distributing salt pork from huge barrels to the slaves. By the 1870's, congressmen were referring to regularly dipping into the "pork barrel" to obtaining funds for popular projects in their home districts.




. . . How "Uncle Sam" came to represent the U.S. Government?
During the war of 1812, a successful New York pork packer named Uncle Sam Wilson shipped a boatload of several hundred barrels of pork to U.S. troops. Each barrel was stamped "U.S." on the docks, and it was quickly said that the "U.S." stood for "Uncle Sam," whose large shipment seemed to be enough to feed the entire army. 




. . . What President Truman had to say about hogs?
"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs."





 Brushed, coated and ready for the oven



Here’s the recipe:

Mustard-Herb Crusted Pork Tenderloin

Ingredients:

1½ pounds pork tenderloin
½ cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1½ tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard, divided

Method:

Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil.
On a sheet of wax paper, mix panko bread crumbs with garlic, olive oil, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Brush the pork with 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
Coat with crumb mixture.
Brush bottom of tenderloin with remaining tablespoon of mustard and coat with remaining crumbs.
Place on prepared pan.
Roast pork 30 minutes until crust is golden and instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160 degrees.
Let pork rest 5 minutes; slice.
Serve

ENJOY!!!




Be sure to enter the $65 CSN giveaway I posted on Sept. 15th!



Check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway ~ 4 cookbooks she's giving away!




Pin It

38 comments:

Cathy said...

Love the panko herb crust on your pork tenderloin. This is one of my favorite cuts of meat for its wonderful flavor and ease of cooking. Thanks, Pam.

Good trivia - I'm a Jeopardy fan.

Betty Ray said...

Mmmm...pork! Never tried it with panko yet. This looks very yummy. Will give it a try. :)

Lilly said...

I love pork tenderlion, too and i will try youre recipe.

Sheila said...

We love pork tenderloin here too. I can't wait to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

Jess @ Bakericious said...

looks very tender, fragrant, yummy.

Lyndsey said...

You're the best Pam! Where else can we find hog facts and a recipe?

I love mustard with pork. This looks worth bragging about! I'm digging my pork tenderloin recipe out and will challenge you! Hahaha! :p

StephenC said...

You've done it again. Come to think of it I have not had pork tenderloin in ages. So many ideas, so little time.

Jenn said...

YUM! That pork looks incredible! I love the great little trivia too!

Katerina said...

We eat a lot of pork tenderloin too. It's true that mustard and pork are ideal together. I loved all the info you gave above.

Clements Family said...

Love that you used panko...this sounds delish!

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Interesting post. Great read. That pork looks cooked beautifully.

Sommer J said...

MMM- looks absolutely fabulous! The meat looks cooked perfectly! My daughter loves pork, it's cooked often in our home :)

Kathleen said...

Hey Pam! I adore pork tenderloin. This recipe looks fabulous. I can't wait to give it a try.

Barbara Bakes said...

I love pork tenderloin too. I haven't tried it with a crust. I'm sure it's fabulous!

The Wife of a Dairyman said...

My mouth waters every time I read one of your posts!

Terrianne, Call me Ree said...

This is exactly how my grandmother makes hers. She loves it, too! =)

Big Dude said...

We’re big fans of pork tenderloin here at Almost Heaven South and yours looks and sounds delicious and thanks for the pork history info.

laurie said...

My list of your recipes I want to try keeps GROWING!

Bo said...

Great Recipe Pam! Love the pork triva.

Kirby said...

This sounds great, I usually just buy an already flavored one or put one on the smoker, so I'm going to try this recipe! I love Dijon mustard on pork! So you had me at that one alone!

Big Dude said...

We’re big fans of pork tenderloin here at Almost Heaven South and yours looks and sounds delicious and thanks for the pork history info.

busygran said...

The pork tenderloin looks good! I haven't tried cooking it this way. Will bookmark and perhaps do it for X'mas! Thanks!

Mags said...

I have a pork tenderloin in my freezer crying out to me to make him into this recipe. Looks fantastic.

scrambledhenfruit said...

Looks delicious! Hubby loves pork and this looks like something he'd really find appealing. Thanks!

Raina said...

With the panko breadcrumbs and the wonderful flavors you have used, this definitely sounds like a dish you should brag about....looks great:)

Biren said...

That pork tenderloin looks fabulous and I did enjoy the pork trivia :)

Monet said...

Not only do you give us a lovely recipe...seasoned with spices and mustard (my all-time love)...but you also give us fun pork trivia to share with family and friends. You never disappoint!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I love pork recipes! Your post are always so interesting to read! I have been so busy the last several weeks that I didn't always leave a comment, but I checked your blog everyday.

Anja said...

hi pam, thank you for be a follower of my blog zwischengang for so long time. now it was the time to change my blogname. it would be great if you stay a follower of my new blog on http://squarekitchen.blogspot.com

Simply Life said...

oh my gosh, that looks PERFECT!

The Food Hound said...

That looks delicious! Now that the weather will FINALLY cool off, it's definitely time for recipes like this! And I LOVE food trivia, thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

Cathy, yes! The ease of cooking it is great. I'm a Jeopardy fan also.

Betty Ray, the panko gives it a good crisp coating.

Lilly, hope you like it!

Sheila, it's delicious and easy also.

Jess @ Bakericious, thanks and have a good day!

Lyndsey, lol!!! You just never know what you'll find with a recipe! I love a good challenge and am waiting for your recipe!

StephenC, guess that means you will be doing some shopping after the fridge is cleaned out!

Jenn, great! Glad you like it!

Katerina, yes, mustard is a must for me with roast pork!

Clements Family, panko definitely makes a difference.

Lazaro Cooks! Thanks so much, glad you liked it!

Sommer J, we eat a lot of pork also.

Kathleen, good! Hope you enjoy it.

Barbara Bakes, thanks for stopping by!

The Wife of a Dairyman, great! Have a good day!

Terrianne, Call me Ree: Grandma knows a good thing for sure!

Big Dude, thanks! Like that trivia thing sometimes!

laurie, good! I'm so glad you like them and want to try them!

Bo, thanks and have a good day!

Kirby, I used to buy the flavored ones also, until we had one that was so loaded with salt; it went into the garbage.

busygran, it would be great for Christmas. It beats turkey in my book but Bill wouldn't go for that!

Mags, rescue it and try this!

scrambledhenfruit, it's really delicious!

Raina, the flavors blended perfectly and we both really like this recipe!

Biren, glad you found it interesting.

Monet, thanks! I'm a huge fan of mustard and glad you have some trivia to share!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com, I understand completely and know you have been one busy lady. Take a breather now!

Anja, thanks for stopping by and letting me know. I'll be there!

Simply Life, you said it all! Thanks!

The Food Hound, yes; it's great for cooler weather. Our weather has been crazy; hot then cool. A cold front is coming this way now.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Interesting trivia and awesome pork!! That sounds delicious! I have one in my freezer that needs some love like this!

kitchen flavours said...

Looks absolutely delicious! Would love to try this. What is panko bread crumbs? Is it seasoned bread crumbs or just ordinary ones? I have all the other ingredients!

Pam said...

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy, thanks and I hope you love it!

kitchen flavours: Panko is Japanese breadcrumbs; unseasoned. They are crispier and lighter than traditional bread crumbs. Actually, any kind of bread crumbs would work with the pork.

katiez said...

Pork tenderloin is one of our favorites, too - with hot mustard! Great minds think alike!

a tasteful garden said...

oh that looks good. i think my husband would propose to me all over again if i baked him that :)

Sue said...

Lovely recipe . . . and lots I didn't know about hogs!