all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Creamed Chipped Beef or SOS over Toast

SOS

Creamed chipped beef




Growing up, my Mom made creamed chipped beef every now and then for dinner.  I loved it and thought it was a great fast dinner.  And then, Bill came along....

As a young boy, Bill’s mom made the same creamed beef using chipped beef.  He didn’t like it but forced himself to eat just because “mom said so.”  Then, when he was in the Army (1960’s) and in basic training, chipped beef (SOS) was served.  Again he had to eat it or face consequences!   After basic training, it was serve yourself.  If you didn’t like something, you didn’t have to eat it.

Later, Bill went to Germany and the mess Sgt. (Sgt Stacy) had his own way of making creamed beef.  He would fix some with chipped beef but mostly it was with ground beef.  Bill said what a difference!  Two pieces of toast, creamed ground beef on top, topped with an over easy egg ~ SOS!

When we got married and lived in Louisville, I mentioned to Bill about chipped beef for dinner.  He said as long as it’s with ground beef and not chipped.  I had never heard of it this way but, made it and it was OK, especially with the egg on top.  However; I prefer my way, the chipped beef way and no egg on top!

I love it and would certainly like to eat it more often and so would Bill!




Creamed Ground Beef or SOS

 
Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef
¼ cup butter
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2½ cups milk

Method:

Brown minced beef in large skillet over medium heat.
Drain excess fat.
Move beef to the side.
Melt butter in skillet. 
Stir in flour.
Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
Add Worchestershire sauce and salt and pepper.
Simmer until hot and desired consistency.
Serve over toast.







Creamed Chipped Beef


Ingredients:

4 oz. chipped beef (Buddig brand) torn into strips*
6 tablespoons butter
½ cup flour
2½ cups milk
Few drops Worcestershire sauce
Pepper, to taste

Method:

*optional:  Soak chipped beef in a bowl of water for 10-15 minutes to remove a lot of the salt.  Drain well.

Melt butter in skillet.
Blend in flour and pepper with a whisk.
SLOWLY add milk, stirring constantly.
Add Worcestershire sauce.
Bring to a simmer and add beef.
Simmer until hot and it reaches the desired consistency.




ENJOY!!!


Check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and the 4 cookbooks she's giving away!




Pin It

31 comments:

  1. I can't believe this. I have completely forgot about this meal when I was young before leaving to spend the day with my father. He would make this for the both of us while the rest of the family stayed in bed.
    I loved it and I'm going to make it for nostalgia sake..

    ps. I have never heard anyone refer to it as SOS except my father and uncles.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great wife you are to prepare it special for your hubby:)

    Both versions sound great to me. Coming from the east coast, I have never heard of this before, but I love anything in a creamy sauce. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh!! Thanks for the memories. I don't know why I stopped making this but I did. I love it--it's quick, easy and tasty too. I've never had it with an egg on top--maybe we'll try that too. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried this type of meal. I think I would like your version more. Somehow I have connencted cream sauce with pieces of beef and not ground. Yours looks like the perfect comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering why they looked so different. I sure miss my mom's SOS, I did like that meal...and that reminds me I need to make it again! Now there were lots of meals that I had to eat (because that's what we did back then) there was no way my mom would make separate meals for us like they do now days! They just didn't have the money and creamed chipped beef on toast was an inexpensive meal to make. I wonder if my daughter would like it? I like it your way...we don't really eat ground beef.n Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Un plato genial, se ve fantástico. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in Nebraska, and I remember my mom making SOS (chipped beef)! Haven't even thought about this meal for ages! Thanks for bringing back the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guarantee that my husband would love this. He loves anything hearty and meaty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had this in years. I think it was the only military food my dad would eat once he was a civilian again.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a coincidence, we had chipped beef on toast for breakfast this morning. In our house, SOS is always with ground beef. My father was in the military, too, and that's how they served it (with the egg, too). So, if it's SOS for breakfast, it's hamburger, if it's chipped beef on toast, it's the thin, processed stuff. I agree with you, I prefer the chipped beef.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ground beef variation sounds great. I'm inspired to go get some chipped beef, though, and have a nostalgic meal of it. I'm amused that none of your comments have included the question "What's SOS?"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of chipped beef. It is obviously prepared some way because you say about soaking it to remove the salt. Has it any other name? Maybe it is just salt beef but interested to know. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom used to make this for us when we were little. Thanks for posting the recipes....this will be a perfect easy dinner for a chilly fall night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The egg would be interesting I think! Something to try:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hubby would be pretty thankful I fI made this, looks tasty

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa I've never even heard of this but it sounds delicious! Chipped or ground, whatever you use - super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. natural selection, what a good dad! Glad it brought back good memories for you!

    Raina, thank you! He wishes I would cook spam for him! I'm not sure where or how this originated.

    Sheila, great! It is definitely quick and easy!

    Katerina, thank you! It's really good and creamy!

    Lyndsey, you're so right. If mom made potato soup or anything else I didn't like, I either ate it or made a PB sandwich. My mom did not insist we eat the food but Bill's mom did insist upon it. Neither one of them made separate meals for anyone! I don't either except for this dish. Hope you try it for your daughter!

    jose manuel, gracias! Es alimento de la comodidad. Saludos.

    Courtney, good! This dish seems to bring back a lot of memories.

    Emily Z, yes, I imagine it's a meal most men would like.

    Mimi, same with Bill as I can't think of anything else right now.

    Kristen, great coincidence! I want to eat breakfast at your side. Funny with the two versions of this dish.

    StephenC, it surely is a bit of nostalgia. I definitely thought someone would ask about the SOS also. That proves how knowledgeable bloggers are, I guess!

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, chipped beef is the only name I know for it. It comes in a vacuum bag which is what I buy or in a jar. It's sliced paper thin and is very salty but good! Here's a link to it: http://www.buddig.com/products.aspx

    Missy B., yes, it's a good winter meal! Thanks!

    Holly, it's the Army way with the egg evidently. It's good though!

    Jennifurla, I'm sure he would!

    grace, thanks!

    Joanne, something new to you then! It's really good but definitely not something to eat often.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never heard of chipped beef before. Isn't it funny how living in different regions effect the types of food we are exposed to? I enjoyed seeing these tasty photographs and hearing about your connection to the dish. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I cant beleive I have not only never cooked this, but never ate it. I had heard of this dish and never could figure out what was in here and looking at the picture boy have I missed out! looks terrific!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never make this, but when I visit my mom I usually ask her to make it for me because I love it. I don't know why I have never made it at home. I guess it is just one of those dishes that remind me of being a kid again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My Dad said he ate SOS almost every day while in the service during WWII, but Mom still made it when I was a kid - with chipped beef. I don't know if Dad liked it, but I do til this day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Monet, it is funny. It surprises me that it is new to many people. Thanks for stopping by!

    Karen, try it! It's good!

    Jess, it's tastes great! Have a good day!

    Pegasuslegend, now you know what it is. It is definitely good but not something to eat often.

    Linda, I bet mom does it perfectly. It's a good comfort dish that brings back great memories.

    Big Dude, it's chipped beef for me all the way. Glad you like it!

    Sonia, thanks so much and have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a dish I need to try again b/c as a little girl I never liked it but my whole family did! Your recipes look great - I think growing up it was frozen? Does that sound right? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We had this often when I was growing up too, and I loved it! (still do) I like mine your way though. Sorry Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I cracked up over the SOS, I forgot they called it that.

    I didn't have this often and actually love it. Comfort food for me but I never had it in the military!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I could eat this either way, this actually looks really good to me! I've never had it but I've bookmarked it, I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My grandfather LOVED this and my Gram would make it for breakfast over biscuits. Just thinking about it makes me all happy. Thanks Pam!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam