all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Baked Butternut Squash



I’m starting to see fall all around ~ leaves are beginning to change color and drop off the trees, the air is crisp, squirrels are gathering extra food for the winter, pumpkins and mums abound at the food markets and squash is plentiful. 

We love squash and I’m having visions of it on our dinner table quite often in the coming months.  Actually, this reminds me of pumpkin pie which Bill loves.  Years ago, his mom baked a squash pie and tried to deftly pass it off as pumpkin pie.  Bill took a couple of bites of the “pumpkin” pie and thought it tasted a little different and then was really suspicious when Mom asked, “How did you like the pie?”  Bill told her it was OK, “why are you asking?”  Mom said, “Because it’s squash pie; I knew you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between squash and pumpkin!”  Bill insisted, “Yes, I can” and Mom was not a happy mom! 

This is the perfect time of the year to bake squash.  Winter squash is so easy and it really only requires paring and cutting it into cubes or in half, adding a little seasoning and baking.  We love acorn squash and particularly butternut squash this time of year. 

This is a versatile recipe ~ use whichever spice you like; cloves, nutmeg, mustard seeds, coriander or ginger.  I use Splenda for dishes such as this when a recipe calls for sugar.  You can use regular brown sugar and substitute olive oil for the butter.




Baked Butternut Squash

Ingredients:

1 butternut squash, pared and cut into 1” cubes
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/3 cup Splenda brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Method:

Place squash in a 2-quart casserole coated with nonstick cooking spray.
Sprinkle with the spices and brown sugar.
Drizzle melted butter and lemon juice over the top.
Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 45-60 minutes until fork tender.


It’s delicious!!!



Check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and the 4 cookbooks she's giving away!





Pin It

26 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

This is really easy! If I can't find butternut squash, I'm going to try it with pumpkin. Thanks for sharing this!

jose manuel said...

Un plato delicioso. Saludos

Clements Family said...

That looks super easy...and delish!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

This is probably my favourite vegetable and this sounds a great way to cook it. Diane

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Butternut squash is one of my favorite ingredients. Nothing like a good baked butternut squash.

Be well

StephenC said...

Squash is swell. I'm with you - eat it, eat it, eat it.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Hi Pam, I am so glad that you became a follower of my blog. Do you happen to be in the Blogging Your Way class?

Your blog is beautiful. I love the header - so cheerful. And my favorite meals always include squash of some kind.

I just became a follower and look forward to getting to know you through your delightful blog and your kitchen.

Fondly,
Glenda

Pushpa said...

Delicious easy to make squash recipe...

Jennifurla said...

A perfect reat

Pam said...

kitchen flavours, yes. Easy and good!

jose manuel, gracias! Es sabrosa.

Clements Family, thanks! It's really delicious.

Diane, great! It's one of my favorites for sure as well as baked acorn squash.

Lazaro Cooks! Squash is easy, versatile and good. You have a great day!

StephenC, right on! It's certainly a healthy food.

GLENDA CHILDERS, thanks so much. No, I'm not a member of BYW. I'm so glad you stopped by and have a wonderful day.

Pushpa, thanks! We really enjoy it.

Jennifurla, thanks! Have a great rest of the day!

Zia Elle said...

Pam, I love fall and your recipe is perfect for this time!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

Fall is my favorite time of the year! The warm days and crisp nights are wonderful. Great recipe and fantastic ingredient swap out tips.

Jane said...

Oh, this is one of my favorite fall treats! Hope that you are well,

Jane

Marguerite said...

Perfect dish for Fall! Looks so delicious!

Raina said...

This is my mom's favorite dish. Yours sounds great. I will have to surprise her with this.

I love your story about your mom trying to pass off the sqaush pie as pumpkin. I am surprised your husband noticed. I am not sure I would have.

Pegasuslegend said...

one of my favorites! love this time of the year and you reminded me how much I love butter squash! this looks great!

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious flavours

Monet said...

A spicy and sweet vegetable dish. Just perfect for these fall months. We hope to go to the Farmer's market on Saturday to pick up a box full of squashes. I can hardly wait. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us!

Mr. Bill said...

Roasting is my only way to prepare fall vegetables!! Love butternut along with sweet potato, Yukon, red peppers and red onion! Thanks for sharing!

Choclette said...

I do agree, squash is one of my all time favourite vegetables. You can do so many things with it. Luckily we managed to grow a few this year. Some years we manage and others we don't. This recipe looks to be a good one.

Kim said...

We love squash, great recipe. Love the pics!

Abbey said...

Winter squash is a favorite of mine too, this sounds like something I would love!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I'm loving all of the winter squash that's ready now- I just baked an oven full today to freeze. Your butternut recipe sounds wonderful- I have several of those squash in my pantry.

Karen said...

We love all kinds of squash, too and yes, especially butternut. I baked one the other night and can't wait for this winter to make butternut squash soup!

Lyndsey said...

I love squash and this is the time of year for it. I wish we could get as many squash here as you can in your part of the country, and we pay a lot more for it too!

whozyerdanny said...

One of my absolute favorite ingredients ...fabulous!