all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pepper Coleslaw





I love coleslaw and am always looking for different versions of it.

Coleslaw comes from the Dutch word “koolsla” with “kool” being cabbage and “sla” meaning salad.  The earliest settlers on our eastern shores were many people of Dutch heritage who brought cabbage seeds on their voyage and started growing cabbage patches throughout the area.  These settlers supposedly served cabbage in their “old-country” ways, mainly as shredded cabbage salad or “koolsla.” 

This recipe is from Southern Living magazine. There are so many variations of coleslaw and it is an absolute staple at barbecues and picnics.   I am a huge fan of freshly ground black pepper and that is why this recipe caught my eye!

What I also like about this recipe is that there is not a large amount of sugar such as most slaw recipes contain.  It has a great buttermilk based dressing with lemon juice, cider vinegar and olive oil.  It’s a delicious peppery coleslaw and one of our favorites!

Here’s the recipe:

Pepper Coleslaw

Ingredients:

For the slaw:
½ head green cabbage, cored and grated
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
½ cup onion, chopped fine
¼ cup parsley leaves, chopped

For the dressing:
½ cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 teaspoons sugar

Method:

Toss together slaw ingredients.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
Pour over vegetables.
Toss.
Serve
8 servings


What makes your coleslaw different ~ do you add a secret ingredient?



Pin It

15 comments:

  1. I love coleslaw too... Thanks for the new version, I'll be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coleslaw and fresh ground pepper, too.

    I have to admit that I also love the recipe that uses a little oil a little vinegar and a little sugar - yum.

    Shamefully, I love KFC coleslaw, too.

    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a secret to share! My hubby is the one that makes the coleslaw in our family! This version looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The buttermilk dressing sounds really different, will give this a try. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love coleslaw and yours, with the buttermilk dressing, sounds so delicious!
    Love,
    Lia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love coleslaw Pam and this look awesome and tasty!, gloria xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love coleslaw! I like to put it on my pulled BBQ pork sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love coleslaw too; I like to put it on sandwiches...Happy day Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this sounds wonderful! Unfortunately, I have a stubborn husband when it comes to his precious coleslaw and change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have wonderful memories of making slaw with my Mother. Her secret was just a little bit of sugar to tame down the vinegar. And, it was on the dinner table every weekend. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coleslaw was always on my menu when me boys were growing up. That buttermilk rally sounds like something I would love; saving this recipe.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenn, you're welcome and I hope you like this one!

    Laura PARING DOWN, I like the KFC version also! Thanks for stopping by!

    Clements Family, bet your hubby makes a great slaw also. Love it especially in the summer!

    Diane, great! Hope you like it!

    Lia, thanks! The buttermilk dressing is a little different and good!

    Adventures in Domestic Cooking, it is delicious! Thank you!

    Gloria, thanks! I love the crispiness of this one!

    Linda, me too! Wish I had some pulled pork right now!

    Jacqueline, I do also! It goes so well with a lot of sandwiches!

    Celeste, sometimes it's hard to change when you're already on to a good thing! This one is really delicious too!

    Marge, yes! The vinegar surely needs some sugar! It's great when food brings back good memories!

    Sage, your boys absolutely knew what was good! Hope you like this one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There may be loads of recipes for cole slaw but most of them are good so it is fun to try new ones.

    My favorite is Tyler Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  14. chayacomfycook, that's for sure and I will be checking out Tyler's recipe! Love his recipes!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam