all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Barbecued Chicken Wings


It’s time to grab some napkins and have some finger-lickin’ good chicken wings!

Whether you call them Buffalo wings, chicken wings, hot wings or just wings, they’re a wonderful thing.  I guess I’m not alone in my love for wings and now that grilling season is here, they’re the perfect thing to barbecue. 

They’re called Buffalo wings because that is their city of origin is Buffalo, NY.  There are several legends of how they came about with one being that they were first prepared in Buffalo in 1964 by Teressa Bellisimo, the co-owner, along with her husband, Frank of the Anchor Bar in Buffalo.  Their son, Dominic, arrived late one night at the bar, hungry and unannounced, with his college friends.  Teressa needed a fast, easy snack for them and as luck would have it, they had just received a mis-delivery of chicken wings instead of the necks and backs she had ordered for her spaghetti sauce.  It was then that she came up with the idea of deep frying the wings and tossing them in hot cayenne sauce. 

They are probably Buffalo wings to the rest of the country but, around here we call them chicken wings and they’re a great bite-size morsel of savory goodness.  This time there was neither hot sauce nor blue cheese dipping sauce ~ just a delicious barbecue sauce and this is the way it goes….

BARBECUED CHICKEN WINGS

Ingredients:

2-3 pounds chicken wings
1 cup bottled bottled chili sauce
½ cup water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method:

Combine all ingredients except chicken wings, in a large saucepan. 
Bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Set aside for basting.
Rinse chicken wings, cut and discard wing tips, pat dry.
Place wings on grill under slow heat.
Cook, turning occasionally and basting with sauce approximately 30 minutes until cooked through.
Makes about 2 cups sauce
Serve

They’re finger-lickin’ delicious!




24 comments:

  1. They look great!!! Also, congrats on winning the cookbook this month on "My Kind of Cooking." It looks like a great group of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks delicious! I love grilling.. I love BBQ chicken... The perfect summer combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love wings! Yours look fantastic! Nice and saucy! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, thank you! I'm so looking forward to Linda's cookbook and all of her great recipes. She definitely knows how to cook!

    Jenn, thanks! Chicken on the grill is one of my favorite things on the grill. Here's to summer...

    Dishesdone, great! Glad you like them also and I hope you give the sauce a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy, Yummy!!!! Those wings must be delishy!!!!
    Love,
    Lia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...looks like a good sauce there....finger lickn' for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sauce mixture sounds finger licking good to me. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are big wing fans around here....these sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the nice comments Susan and Pam! I love both of your blogs! Pam I am glad you are connected again and able to post your delicious recipes! This one looks like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love chicken wings!! The barbequed ones are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam, I love chicken wings...and the way you BBQ them it sure looks delicious...I already see myself licking my fingers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lia, they are and thank you!

    Lyndsey, for sure! Thanks!

    Diane, it is and I do! Have a good day!

    Julie, we are also, love those wings!

    Linda, I'm thrilled! And I'm sure there will be many good recipes in your cookbook to try! Thanks, again!

    Sook, yes I like them barbecued and Bill likes them plain and BBQ. Either way, they're great!

    Juliana, thanks! Hope you're having a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who cares what you call them? Just feed them to me! Adore these and I love your heat and spices and they indeed do look finger-lickin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My hubby was born in Chicago, grew up in St. Charles..we were camp hosts at White Pines State Park for three summer seasons....he'd gladly move your way to eat these luscious puppies up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look wonderful and the sauce sounds wonderful=you're making me hungry!...Have a great week Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look excellent! And very tasty - what wonderful flavors you use on them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a sucker for chicken wings. These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great recipe! My husband loves chicken wings but I haven't found a recipe that "hits the spot" yet. I can't wait to give these a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look great. Perfect any time of year.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pam these look finger lickin' good. This is a really nice recipe that I'm going to have to try.I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are sure great finger-licking good, beat KFC anytime! Good job, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Claudia, absolutely, you're right! And they are spicy!

    corgidogmama, great, then good things come from Illinois, for sure! St.Charles is a great beautiful town close to here and we've been there many times. That must have been lots of fun for you at White Pines. It's just SW of us and I've heard how nice it is. Have a good day!

    Jacqueline, thank you! You have a great rest of the week also and pet those kitties for me!

    Cinnamon-Girl, thanks! It's a good recipe!

    Mags, me too! Love that chicken!

    Danielle, I hope you try this one and that you both like it!

    Mimi, you're right! It works in the oven also!

    Mary, thanks! You have a good day and thanks for stopping by!

    Cheah, you're right on spot! Less calories than KFC also! ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that looks great Pam. I love chicken wings!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sandi, thank you and have a good day!

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam