all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mrs. Wilkes’ Baked Pork Chops




Evidently, according to Ceci Snyder of the National Pork Board, their slogan “the other white meat” is getting a little boring and “just blending into the background.” 

Drew McLellan, of the McLellan Group advertising agency, is not so sure that is a good thing as “the other white meat” is a well-known tagline that strongly resonates with customers.  He said most companies would love to have a tagline like that one, which is so recognizable with their product and the pork board is throwing that away.

McLellan compares “the other white meat” to Alka-Seltzer’s, “Plop-plop, Fizz-fizz” and the Oscar Meyer Weiner song.  Snyder says they really need identity that catches people’s attention…

It makes no difference to me what it’s called but when “the other white meat” is mentioned, I definitely know what that person is speaking of. 

Anyway, we had “the other white meat” last night and it was delicious because I used the recipe from Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House Cookbook.  The cookbook states “the reason to Mrs. Wilkes’ tender, flavorful chops lies in her use of Worcestershire and soy sauces and lemon juice.”  Included also is ketchup, or catsup, per the recipe. I adapted the recipe by adding minced garlic and topping the chops with mushrooms.

So watch out ~ sometime in 2011, there will be a new catchy phrase for promoting pork!  In the meantime, give this recipe a try!  These chops made Bill a happy man!

MRS. WILKES’ BAKED PORK CHOPS
(Adapted)

Ingredients:

6 (¾-inch-thick) pork chops
2 tablespoons catsup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounce button mushrooms, sliced

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place chops in baking dish.
Whisk or beat all of the remaining ingredients, except mushrooms, in a small bowl.
Arrange mushrooms over the chops.
Spread half of the sauce over the chops and mushrooms.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Turn the chops and spread the remaining mixture on the other side.
Bake, uncovered, for an additional 30 minutes, or until fork tender.
Serve

These chops are tangy delicious!




Pin It

26 comments:

  1. I did Pork Chops the other night but with apple and onion, this looks delicious. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pork chop looks very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, yum! Yours sound delicious and I don't think I've ever combined the chops with apples and onions. Great thing I must try! Thanks!

    Angie's Recipes, thank you ~ they were!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound awfully good. The sauce sounds delicious and is especially easy to make. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I'm speechless....my mouth is watering so much after viewing this photo!Wonder how this same recipe would be with chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam,
    Baked pork chops must be delicious and they look amazing. I liked the idea!!!
    Love,
    Lia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, thanks so much and you have a wonderful weekend!

    Corgidogmama, I bet it would be great with chicken! Thanks for the suggestion and I will be trying it! Hope you're having a great weekend!

    Hi Lia! They are tender and delicious! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, I like the changes you made to the recipe. I am a big mushroom fan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Pam! It's very good! You are fantastic! Ciao. Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pork is also known here in Africa as 'The Other White Meat' ! My hubby loves pork chops too, & I cook them at least once a week for him - must try your delicious sounding recipe sometime !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely prefer "the other white meat" to any other white meat. Sigh. I love pork.

    These chops look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd be happy with this porkc hops dish. Love the button mushroom compliment.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound like the same old fashioned pork chops my mother used to make, minus the mushrooms. You've transported me back in time and now it's time to give these a try.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a nice and clean new look. I like it. Those pork chops look tasty.

    The pork board would be crazy to change such a recognizable slogan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda www.mykindofcooking.com, thanks! Love your radio show and I'll be listening to you Friday, Linda!

    Deborah, thank you! You have a good day!

    Lynda, great! My hubby loves them too, especially this recipe.

    Joanne, me too! Thanks and you have a great rest of the weekend!

    Lazaro Cooks, thanks! I try to sneak in mushrooms anywhere I can and they're great with pork.

    Carla and Michael, they are since the recipe of hers' was way back when in Savannah, GA. Have a good day!

    M, thank you for the kind comment. I think you're exactly right, it's crazy to change when something works perfectly! Have great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The other white meat slogan may be boring but everyone knows what it is! Your baked chops sound flavorful and delicious! And I love your new look too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've only made pork chops one way in my life...I kinda forgot about pork. I think I need to make it again! This looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cinnamon-Girl, thanks so much for the complements! I so agree about the slogan, why change a good thing?

    Me, Myself and Pie, hope you try it and have a good rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Baking really makes cooking so easy. Love the method.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This reminds me that I haven't had pork chops in quite some time. I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look great! My husband loves pork chops, but I have yet to find a recipe for them that he likes. This one sounds like a keeper. Thanks for sharing it:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds fabulous! I just emailed it to my Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Little Inbox, you're so right and thanks very much!

    Deborah, great! Hope you try this! Have a good day!

    Raina, this is good, give it a try! Thanks!

    Jessica, wonderful! I hope your Mom likes it! Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wouldn't have thought of using Worcestershire sauce with pork - what a good idea! Mine is usually in a Bloody Mary ;-)! Thanks Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great recipe, I can see why Bill loved them.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sue, LOL! My WS has seen many a Bloody Mary! Have a good day!

    Mimi, yes! Bill loves pork!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam