all sorts of recipes, from me to you…


Thursday, June 3, 2010

Asparagus and Pea Toasts with Brie



This recipe was in our local newspaper yesterday, The Northwest Herald.  It definitely is a winner and I just want to share it with all of you.

It especially sounds good because of the fresh peas.  J. M. Hirsch states that “a growing number of grocers are carrying shelled fresh peas by the bag in the produce section.  They have a pleasantly fresh taste lost in frozen and canned varieties.”  To me, there is no comparison between fresh peas and canned or frozen so that is why this recipe appeals to me.  


This makes a wonderful bruschetta-like dish.  It’s filled with asparagus, brie, garlic, onions and seasonings spread on rustic sour-dough bread.  The article states that the asparagus and pea mixture also would be good tossed with cooked pasta.  If you go that route; it says, cut up the brie as best you can and toss that in, too.   You may need to add ¼ cup of the pasta cooking water to help create a sauce to coat the pasta. 

That sounds delicious to me also but for now I prefer it on the sour-dough bread.  It’s easy and delicious, for sure!

Asparagus and Pea Toasts with Brie

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
4 large slices rustic sour-dough bread (½-inch-thick)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 bunch asparagus, bottoms trimmed, cut into 1” lengths
1 cup fresh peas
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
6 to 8 ounces brie

Method:

Heat the oven to broil.
Divide butter between the bread slices, spreading it evenly over one side of each.
Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium, heat the olive oil.
Add garlic, onions, asparagus and peas. 
Sauté until the asparagus is just barely tender, about 4 minutes.
Remove pan from the heat.
Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the mint.
Set aside.
Place the bread slices under the broiler.
Toast until just lightly browned and butter is melted.
Remove the bread from the oven and smear a quarter of the brie over each slice.
Return to broiler for another minute.
Top each slice with a quarter of the asparagus and pea mixture.
Serve

Yum, love those fresh peas!


22 comments:

  1. Hi Pam,
    Another fabulous and mouthwatering recipe. Congratulations!!
    Love,
    Lia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like the strangest combination, but I would try it in a heartbeat! Of course everything tastes good with brie. I know what you mean about fresh peas. My husband's aunt has a large U-Pick farm with raspberries, strawberries, peas, and more up in Michigan. When my daughter was little I have a picture of her standing in the pea patch eating them right off the plant. Mmm nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh peas! Even picky eaters would be tempted to try this delicious recipe. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great appetizer idea. I agree fresh peas definitely taste noticeably different than canned or frozen; so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciao Pam, questi crostini di pane con asparagi e brie sono veramente deliziosi. Buona serata :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this one it looks and sounds delicious. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. My in laws have given me peas fresh from the garden, and I love fresh peas! What a great way to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so good! I absolutely love fresh peas, and so hard to come by around here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a happy day, Pam and kiss M/M for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never tasted fresh peas. I'll be on the look out for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fresh peas are the best!!! Years ago, while living in an apartment, we had a garden and grew peas, corn, cantelope, tomatoes ... Going out to our garden and picking the fresh peas was just the best! They are so sweet! Yum!

    Your recipe looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lia, thanks! I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lyndsey, you're right! I thought it sounded a little strange too and I can be pretty sure I've never thought about pairing asparagus with peas. The brie and bread bring it all together. I just wish we lived near her U-pick farm, that would be great!!! We don't have that with any of the farms around here anymore and I really miss it, especially picking our own cherries. Your daughter knows what's good and good for her at that young age! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda, me too! You're right, particularly if people like brie. Thanks!

    M, I just wish the fresh ones were more readily available! Have a good evening!

    Italians Do Eat Better, grazie mille! Delicious and it looks good too. Good evening to you also!

    Diane, you're welcome! Hope it's drying out over there a little now! Good evening!

    Deborah, lucky you!!! We have so many trees and lots of shade and I miss having a garden and our own fresh veggies.

    Dishesdone, sorry they're not readily available to you. Sometimes they're a little hard to find here also.

    Jacqueline, thank you and the same to you and yours! Good evening!

    Kathleen, oh my gosh! You have to try them and I bet you will be surprised as they are totally different from canned and frozen both. They have a great fresh sweet flavor.

    JG, I bet you really do miss that garden! Me too with ours and growing up my dad always had gardens so we were never without fresh vegetables throughout the summer. There's nothing like summer for good things!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the kind of bruschetta I could really get behind, especially when paired with brie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joanne, thanks! I agree with you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious Pam! Asparagus is in season over here and I will try this recipe! We live not far away from the Vale of Evesham which is famous for its fields of asparagus - and I do have a bed of it in the garden. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one beautiful dish.. I love the photos of those perfect peas~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sue, great! Fresh asparagus from the garden is a wonderful thing and lucky you for having it in your garden!

    lostpastremembered, thanks and you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pam this sound wonderful. It makes me wish I had peas in the garden.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mimi, my dad grew peas every summer but I never have. It would be a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for your comment! I just looked through a lot of your posts and you have some FABULOUS recipes on here. This is my favorite so far. Can't wait to explore the rest ;)

    ReplyDelete

_____________________________________

"It's the onions. They're only supposed to sweat, but they fell down exhausted."

~~~ Mrs. Patmore, Downton Abbey (about a failed broth)

_______________________________________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam