all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sautéed Shrimp over Creamy Grits




 I first had this dish in Savannah, Georgia and this is as close to it as I can get.  Even though it is a traditional Southern dish, it is extraordinary to this Midwestern girl.  How wonderful it would be to live along the Southern coastline ~ do some fishing, go home and cook up a little shrimp fresh from the water and serve it over creamy grits!

Shrimp and grits is an easy recipe.  Just have all the prep work done before you begin.  Then it will be a snap to cook up the dish.  And, you can even make the grits a little bit ahead of time as they will stay hot for a while.

This is one of the most satisfying grits dishes!  I could eat grits with just about anything ~ especially shrimp. 

Sautéed Shrimp over Creamy Grits

For the grits: 

1 cup heavy cream
2 cups water
1 ½ cups hot chicken or vegetable stock
¼ cup butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup Stone-ground grits

Method:

In large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine cream, water and hot stock, bring to a boil.
Add butter, salt and pepper.
Add grits slowly, stirring constantly, scrapping the bottom of the pan.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
Cook for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally so that they do not scorch.
The grits should have absorbed all the liquid and be soft.
If they are too thick, add a little water or warm stock. 


For the shrimp:

1 pound raw shrimp
6-8 bacon slices
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon paprika
Hot sauce, optional
4 ounces amber beer
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Method:

Place shrimp on a plate and season with salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning and paprika.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, fry bacon until nearly crisp.
When cooled, crumble into pieces.  Set aside.
Reserve 2-3 tablespoons bacon grease in the skillet.
Add onion, garlic and bell pepper, sautéing about 3-4 minutes.
Slowly add beer and Worcestershire sauce; cook down until onion is transparent and peppers are cooked about 10-12 minutes.
Add shrimp mixture and crumbled bacon.
Sauté 5-7 minutes until shrimp are opaque in center (cut to test).
Remove from heat.
Spoon hot grits onto serving plate; top with shrimp mixture.

Pam’s note:  Stone-ground grits makes a huge difference.  See my January 6, 2010 post for where I buy them.

Enjoy!



Pin It

24 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

I can't find grits here...must try doing it with polenta.

Lucie said...

This looks delcious Pam! Lucie x

Susan said...

Your title grabbed me! Love shrimp, but my secret love is grits. I checked out your source and will definitely be ordering some "real" grits. By checking back to January posting, I found a lot of other good "stuff." Will have to take some time and spend some time in your archives. Thanks.

Dedene said...

That sounds great, especially making the sauce from beer and worchester sauce. I love shrimp. As for grits, we don't have them here but I supposed any other grain would do.

Pam said...

3 hungry tummies, wish you could try the grits but polenta would be delicious also!

Lucie, great! Thanks for the visit!

Susan, Nora Mill has great service and your order will arrive promptly! We love the stone-ground grits because of the grittier texture; delicious! I hope you try it and thanks for the kind comment!

Dedene, the shrimp is great with the beer and all. Like 3 hungry tummies said, polenta would be wonderful also. Thanks!

M said...

How much shrimp did you use? The dish looks really good. I really like shrimp in sauce like that. My favorite is a Cuban dish (camarones enchiilados) served over rice.

Pam said...

M: Oops! I left out the best part! I used 1 pound of raw shrimp. Sorry about that and thanks for bringing it to my attention! Your Cuban dish sounds great, love the flavors in Cuban cooking!

Bo said...

Pam this is one of my favorite meals...I love everything about it!

Carla and Michael said...

Believe it or not I have lived in the south all of my life and have never even tried this dish. I'm going to have to give it a try now. You've convinced me.
Thanks.

Clements Family said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog! I am glad you liked it...my husband LOVES grits...I am sure he would love this dish!

Dishesdone said...

That is one great looking dish!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Interesting dish, I had to look up 'grits' have never heard of them before. Must see if they are available here. Diane

Lyndsey said...

Pam, when I read the title I thought to myself, "wow they east grits in the Midwest?" We even have grits served for breakfast at our school!

This dish is popular down here (I don't eat shrimp so I use scallops)Yours sounds wonderful.

Joanne said...

I've never had real grits, only polenta, but this looks like serious comfort food to me!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

I really love shrimp and grits - although like Joanne I use polenta. This is absolutely mouth-watering delicious!

Autumn @Good Eats Girl said...

This looks amazing!! I've never eaten grits before, but this looks good enough that I might have to try!!!

shahana said...

so tempting recipe!

MaryMoh said...

Looks very delicious....mmmm

Ami said...

WOW!
Looks really yummy! :)

Pam said...

Bo, it's a winner and you know a good thing!

Carla and Michael, that's kind of funny! You have to go for it! Thanks for the visit!

Clements Family, you're welcome and thank you for stopping by here! Hope you try this for your husband!

Dishesdone, thank you! It tastes great!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, I hope they are available by you and you can give the grits a try. They're even pretty great with just a dab of butter on them!

Lyndsey, grits definitely are not a midwest thing. I grew up in Louisville and learned to eat them there. I know of no one here who eats them and they definitely are not on any menu I've seen here. In fact, stone-ground grits are not sold here so that is why I order them from Nora Mill. I've had them for breakfast also, it works! And they're great with scallops also. Thanks!

Joanne, it's serious Comfort food with a capital C! I love polenta also!

Cinnamon-Girl, glad you like this with grits! Thanks and have a good day!

Autumn @Good Eats Girl, I hope you try the grits! They're delicious and work with so many things, even for breakfast with a dab of butter!

shahana, it's delicious! Thanks for the visit!

Mary Moh, thank you! You have to try it to find out how delicious it is!

Ami, WOW is right! Have a great day!

My Little Space said...

This sounds pretty interesting! Grit!!! Probably, can use polenta instead!

Pam said...

My Little Space, grits are great and so is polenta!

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

We went to Georgia a couple years ago for my step son's army graduation and this was the one dish that I couldnt get enough of. Needless to say I have bookmarked. I havent had the chance to make at home. Thanks for the memory!


Shamrocks and Shenanigans

Pam said...

Shamrocks and Shenanigans, I know what you mean! It's that good. Hope you give it a try!