all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Sunday, May 16, 2010

My Chopped Salad

 
Farm fresh veggies


Do you eat salad most days?  We do.  I just really like salad whether it is a starter, side-dish or the main course.  And the classic, old-fashioned chopped salad is especially good because of the variety of items included in it. 

This is a great salad because the ingredients and amounts can be adapted for the number of people it will be serving.  You can omit the cheese, bacon and eggs and go for a lighter dish or you can leave them in for a more substantial one. 

Here is a list of ingredients for it other than lettuce:  garbanzo beans, salami, tomatoes, turkey, corn, chicken, mozzarella, parmesan or Roquefort cheese, beef, red or white onions, scallions, croutons, green or black olives, artichoke hearts, chickpeas, celery, carrots, peppers, cucumbers, anchovies, ham, avocados, crumbled tortilla chips, bacon, hard cooked eggs, dill pickles, shrimp, tuna, and even cashews; let your imagination fly!

Just remember to chop the pieces small so that every bite has several ingredients.  Serve it in clear glass bowls or even use martini glasses for originality.   It’s the perfect salad for spring and summer!

What ingredients are in your chopped salad?

Chopped Salad

Ingredients:

2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
4 large eggs, hard-cooked
1 cup chopped red onion
1 cup fresh cauliflower
1 cup chopped black olives
1 cup chopped red bell peppers
1½ cups mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ pound Swiss cheese
8 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled

Method:

Place romaine and iceberg lettuce in bottom of a 10 to 12-cup clear glass bowl.
Finely chop the eggs and remaining vegetables and place in layers over the lettuce.
Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together and spread on top of salad.
Top with Swiss cheese and bacon and serve.
Makes 4-6 servings

ENJOY!!!
It’s one gorgeous, well-dressed salad!



10 comments:

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

This looks so tasty. I love a mixed salad, but the French seem to have a salad of only lettuce. Tasty as it may be it seems to lack something as far as I am concerned. Diane

midwesttomidlands said...

Wow, that salad sounds great, but I am not so ambitious as to cut up so many ingredients. Tonight we are having fresh lettuce out of the garden. I love it served with cream, a little sugar and a little vinegar, but tonight will probably be something simple.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love putting tons of stuff on my salad but I'm usually too lazy to do so. I LOVE chickpeas on salad, I'll have to remember to do that this week, thanks!

Jacqueline said...

Sounds wonderful; I love salads...Happy Sunday Pam.

Dishesdone said...

We love salad, with just about anything. Yours sounds delicious! We just tried a new one with oranges and walnuts that was very good. Will have to try yours!

MaryBeth said...

My husband is a salad freak...He is always saying how he needs his ruffage. He would dive into this salad head first.

Jessie said...

Mmm...! We love a good salad at my house too. This looks like a nice one to try.

Though I live in Virginia, most of my family is from Wisconsin. I think we might have a monopoly there somewhere so midwest runs through my veins. I love your blog!

Jessie

Pam said...

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, I agree. A salad usually needs a little more than lettuce. Hope you try this!

midwesttomidlands, this is a great dish for guests that I do at times. Yours sounds great with cream and vinegar and I will have to try that!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy, I know what you're saying! Chickpeas works well!

Jacqueline, me too! Hope you had a great weekend!

Dishesdone, oranges and walnuts sounds delicious. I'm always looking for different salads!

MaryBeth, hope you try this one! Sounds like your husband would go for it! Thanks!

Jessie, thanks so much! Glad you like that Midwestern thing! Virginia is pretty great too though. Thanks for the visit!

Sue said...

Thanks Pam - we live off salad in the warmer months so this is a welcome addition to my note book! I love adding rocket leaves as they have that nutty peppery taste!

Pam said...

Sue, the same here for the warmer months! I'll have to check out rocket leaves! Thanks!