Mom's Strawberry Cake


There’s not quite another dessert like strawberry cake, it’s luscious and filled with good flavor.  My mother was a huge fan of strawberries and we enjoyed countless strawberry dishes;  among them, this cake.

She rarely, and the same for me, use cake mixes ~ they're a starting point if I do use one.  Then it is tweaked up as this one is with the strawberries and flavorings.  This is a wonderful moist cake with a delicious sweet flavor that’s perfect for any occasion or just to sit down and enjoy along with a cup of coffee. 

Did you know that strawberries were discovered by a French military engineer, spy and explorer during his trip to Chile?  When he encountered their sweet fresh flavor, he decided to take some home and breed them; the rest is history.  He did a wonderful thing for our benefit!

Here’s the cake and I hope you’ll give it a try:


Mom's Strawberry Cake

Ingredients:

1 package white cake mix
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup drained fresh strawberries, beaten

Method:

In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and gelatin mix.
Make a well in the center and pour in water, oil and eggs and flour.
Beat on low speed to blend.
Scrape bowl often and beat 3 minutes on medium speed.
Add beaten strawberries.
Pour into greased and floured 9” x 13” baking pan.
Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 
Remove from oven and cool.
Cover with frosting.

Fluffy Frosting:

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4  teaspoon cream of tartar
Dash salt
2 egg whites, unbeaten
1 teaspoon vanilla


Method:

Combine sugar, water, cream of tartar and salt in saucepan.
Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar dissolves.
Very slowly add sugar syrup to unbeaten egg whites in mixing bowl.
Beat constantly with eleectric mixer until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
Beat in vanilla.
Frost cake.



Yum!  It’s one “berry” delicious cake!




Comments

  1. This sounds wonderful! Do you use fresh or frozen strawberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting cake! I love the cream cheese frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks moist and delicious!Sure gonna try it!Hope you had good birthday bash yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, I use fresh strawberries. Thanks for noting that, I will add it to the recipe.

    biz319, thank you! The frosting is what really makes it delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cooking experiments, thank you! I had a great time celebrating the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam I have eaten this cake many times...it is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm yummy:) Looks good-I bet that frosting does put it over the top!
    Happy belated Birthday!;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful and I love strawberries BUT unfortunately they don't like me. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Pam, I want a slice too! Love the strawberry flavour cake. I definitely will give it a try. Thanks alot. Have a wonderful day!
    Regards, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bo, it's the best for sure! Thanks for the visit!

    Holly, thanks for the birthday wishes! The frosting does it all, yum!

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, sorry to hear that. Here's wishing you a good day!

    My Little Space, just wish I could give you a slice! Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi
    I am new to your blog.Liked your recipes and presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had some chocolate covered strawberries last night; this cake sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Strawberry cakes must be infectious! I've been seeing them everywhere! It looks delicious, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very similar to the cake I make ... the cream cheese frosting looks delicious! I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This strawberry cake looks wonderful! How scrumptious! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this cake not only sound but looks delicious...love the strawberry gelatin...nice color :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My grandma made a cake like this. I bet it tastes delicious...it sure looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This one just screams deliciousness! Can't wait to make it for the 4th of July with family all here~~thanks dearie~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pam my mil used to make this. I haven't had it in years. Thanks for reminding me about it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Strawberry cake is one of my favorites! It's such a pretty color and I bet it was heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i LOVe strawberry cake, this looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Subhashini: Welcome, it's nice to meet you! Thanks for stopping by!

    Jacqueline, you lucky girl! They're the best, love that chocolate!

    Debbi Smith, it must be the season! It's great with all the fresh strawberries now!

    The Sugar Queen, then you know what its all about! Thanks!

    Catherine, thank you! It is a great treat!

    Juliana, yes! That gives it its great color!

    A LA GRAHAM, Grandma's know how to do it! Thanks for the visit!

    Corgidogmama, it would be a great thing for your family and they will love you for it! Here's to the 4th!

    Kathleen, the oldies work! It's really yummy!

    Cinnamon-Girl, me too! The coloring certainly makes it taste better! ;)

    teresa, I know what you mean! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks like a perfect use for all of the strawberries that I have been buying lately! YUM!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I didn't know that about the discovery of strawberries (I should do my homework!) That cake looks SO yummy, though, and I love the soft, pretty frosting! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks so light and fluffy. I have one cake recipe that starts with a cake mix... they can turn out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Autumn @Good Eats Girl, it is a great way to utilize strawberries! Now you know another good way for them!

    Anne, glad you enjoyed a little bit of history! The cake is yummy! Thanks!

    Karen, a cake mix is a good foundation to build upon! Hope you try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I remember this from when I was a child, yum!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mimi, yes; it's an oldie but goodie!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Pam, This cake looks just delish. I have to ask you, though, how did you take that exceptional first photo in the post, with the strawberries in water??? It's so perfect. I absolutely love it. And I love your blog!

    :) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  30. strawberry cake is one of my daughter's (The Tortured Teenager) favorite cakes. I bookmarked this. She will love this and could even make herself!
    Shamrocks and Shenanigans

    ReplyDelete
  31. S and S, good for your daughter! Hope she does some baking soon!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Have you tried this in cupcake form? If so, do you recall what the cooking time would be? I would love to serve these individually. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

________________________

Sandwiches are wonderful. You don’t need a spoon or a plate.
- Paul Lynde
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Printfriendly



I want to enjoy my life, and food is a big part of it.

~ Gwyneth Paltrow





Popular posts from this blog

Tender and Delicious Italian-Style Baked Chicken Breasts

Succulent Slow-cooker Pork Loin in Gravy

Bubba’s Winning Homemade Summer Sausage

The Best Lemon Pound Cake ~ I’m Telling You the Truth!

ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴏɴ ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ

Dinner Party

Dinner Party
Jules-Alexandre Grun

Since 2009