all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mom’s Buttermilk Biscuits

Honey dipper
Marc O'Finley


This was one of Mom’s favorite biscuit recipes.  In fact, the recipe card looks well used with many splatters on it.  It was biscuit paradise every time she baked them. 

There’s nothing that says homemade quite as much as fresh, flaky biscuits straight from the oven.  These are the warm biscuits you set out wrapped in a napkin and piled high in a basket ~ the kind you want to slather with butter and then pour on the honey or a teaspoon of jam.  Or, maybe you just want them for sopping up the gravy!

These biscuits are so easy to make and so tenderly delicious that after baking them, you will declare them you’re one true biscuit to go back to time and again.  There are few ingredients with the perfect combination to enable them to raise high and mighty.  You’ll just have to make them yourself to find out amazingly delicious they are!



Mom’s Buttermilk Biscuits

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
2/3 cup buttermilk

Method:

Heat oven to 450 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
Work in the shortening with a pastry blender, two knives or your fingers until a coarse meal.
Add buttermilk, stirring until just combined.
Knead dough on a floured surface 10-15 times.
Roll out dough 1/2 ” thick.
Cut into rounds.
Place on ungreased baking sheet.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned.
Makes approximately 15 biscuits

Ummm, ummm, good!



Pin It

23 comments:

  1. these biscuits look very nice and what a coincidence! I just made some drop biscuits yesterday with pretty much the same recipe, different proportions and with butter instead of shortening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! My mom used to make wonderful biscuits, but I never learned how.
    Happy Mother's Day a bit late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey and biscuits - my, those photos are perfectly paired!

    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I wasn't trying to lose weight, I'd love to make biscuits more often with meals! they tend to be more rare now and only when there isn't another grain being served. These look absolutely delicious!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to stay away from bread in general, but these biscuits look great!...Have a great weekend Pam...Kisses to M/M!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm. I love a good biscuit. These look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ya, I'd like to have one or two of those...i love a good biscuit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing more comforting than a good biscuit! These look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good biscuit, yum!! On Sundays at my grandmother's house it was often homemade biscuits with chicken fricasse. Oooh the tasty memories...I never learned to make biscuits the way she did. Will have to give your recipe a try. Thanks for sharing a family recipe. Those are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Esther, yours sound good also with the butter! Love that butter!

    Dedene, thanks for the MD wishes! The biscuits are easy to make.

    Laura PARING DOWN, thanks! I couldn't resist the honey pic!

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, thank you! And they're delicious also!

    Debbi Smith, I hear you and can empathize with you! I think I could eat them every day but, no way!

    Jacqueline, that's great and why you are nice and trim! Thanks for the M&M kisses and the same to yours! Cheers!

    My cooking experiments, thank you for stopping by!

    Julie M., me too! Have a good weekend!

    Danielle, wish I could pass the biscuit basket to you! Thanks!

    Joanne, right on! Thanks for the visit!

    Katy ~ Oh, I remember those Sunday's at Grandma's very well. They knew how to do it! The chicken fricassee sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by for one of these yummy biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  12. symphonious sweets, hope you liked them! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing like a fresh,tender biscuit. Those look yummy.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mimi, I agree all the way! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love going through recipes and finding cards with splatters on them, or smudges in cookbooks. Then I come across one of my Mom's recipes that she'd handwritten. I treasure those.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen, I have so many of them, mainly from Mom. The only thing is, she wrote down the ingredients on a lot of them without writing the directions. Makes it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pam, your biscuits look fabulous :) It's hard to find biscuits here unless you have to bake yourself and If I want to make my own, will definitely think of your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Sweet Maison, thanks so much! They are tender delicious biscuits and easy enough to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Buttermilk really does make all the difference on biscuits!!! Great recipe!
    Shamrocks and Shenanigans

    ReplyDelete
  20. S and S, buttermilk makes them light and delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pam,

    These look delicious. I love the addition of buttermilk. I've been making my own and using it in nearly everything. Do you make yours also? I prefer it to store bought.

    Biscuits, with honey and butter...Mmm. I could eat just that as a meal. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam