all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Chocolate Kahlúa Cream Pie



Chocolate, Cream, Cinnamon
Cabannes and Ryman


Kahlúa is a well-known Mexican coffee-flavored liqueur.  It is sweet and dense with a distinct taste of coffee, from which it is made. 

This chocolate pie uses Kahlúa for its deep rich coffee flavor, along with chocolate and cinnamon wrapping up into a decadent, creamy dark chocolate pie filling.  It is made even more delicious by being smoothed out over a chocolaty pecan crust, then covering it all with whipped cream that’s loaded with even more Kahlúa.  

Another great thing about this chocolate pie is that it may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.  What could be easier and more delicious?  This pie could make a chocoholic out of about anyone, it’s heavenly!



Chocolate Kahlúa Cream Pie

Ingredients:

1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
¼ cup pecans, ground fine
½ stick butter, melted and cooled
2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 large egg yolks
2 cups milk, scalded
3 tablespoons Kahlúa
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped

For the topping:

2/3 cup well-chilled heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon Kahlúa
1-2 tablespoons shaved chocolate for garnish

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, combine well the wafer crumbs, pecans, butter, 2 tablespoons of sugar and the cinnamon.
Pat mixture into 9” glass pie plate and bake for 10-12 minutes until set.
In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 2/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks and whisk in the milk, scalded.
In a heavy saucepan, bring the custard to a boil over moderate heat, whisking and simmer it, whisking for 2 minutes.
Whisk in the Kahlúa and chocolate until the mixture is smooth.
Pour into pie shell, smoothing the top.
Chill the pie with its surface covered with plastic wrap for at least 6 hours.

Make the topping:

In a chilled bowl with chilled beaters beat the cream until it holds soft peaks, beat in the sugar and Kahlúa and beat topping until it holds stiff peaks.
Spread the topping over the pie.
Sprinkle with shaved chocolate.

This pie will delight all you chocolate lovers!



Pin It

25 comments:

Deb said...

I will make this for sure as these are 4 of my favorite things. ;) Deb

Jenn said...

This pie looks fantastic! I am a sucker for chocolate pies though! Can't wait to try this!

Martha (MM) said...

Oh my! This sounds wonderful! I don't usually even do desserts but I'd make an exception for this! :-)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

My dad used to make kahlua! He and my uncle would make a huge batch and then cool it in the snow. They made it a lot less sweet and more flavorful.

This dessert looks fantastic! I should make it for my dad, I'll bet he'd love it for sure!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

The sound took me by complete surprise, but its fun. I have just had new wiring put in for my internet so perhaps the new updated connection has more surprises for me!! :-)

You have really hit on something here to make my mouth water, I love chocolate and I love kahlúa. My taste buds are working over time. Diane

Pam said...

Deb, great and thanks for the visit!

Jenn, I'm a sucker for about anything chocolate, love it!

Martha ~ if you like chocolate, this one works!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy, bet your dad and uncle had a blast doing that. Finally, there's a good use for snow! It sounds great!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, hope the music didn't scare you too much and that it was a good tune you heard! I'm glad to hear your internet connection is working well. Now you can really enjoy surfing!

M said...

Chocolate is my weakness and this looks outstanding. Thanks for sharing. Now I want.

3 hungry tummies said...

wow it has everything I love in it! Fantastic!

Kim said...

I love creamy pies and this one looks positively delicious!

Jacqueline said...

I don't eat desserts much, but this sounds wonderful; I've been known to enjoy Kahlua and cream on occasion...Happy day Pam.

Kathleen said...

This pie sounds absolutely Killer! Can't wait to try it! BTW thanks for telling me how to pronounce pimento cheese. Who knew!

Autumn @Good Eats Girl said...

WOW!!! This sounds awesome....I love kahlua and the fact that it is in baked goods has me sold! I'm adding this to my pile of must make recipes!!

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

That looks unbelievable!! I posted a Kahlua cream cheese brownie today on my blog, but your kahlua dessert looks much more sinful!! Trying this soon!

Alessandra said...

Uuuh! decadent! A real treat! Thank you Pam :-)

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} said...

Ohhh...wish I could take a bite right off that fork.

Pam said...

M, you and me both! Thanks!

3 hungry tummies, wonderful! Now you have to try it! Have a good day!

Kim, I agree! It's smooth and creamy! Thank you!

Jacqueline, love that Kahlua! You have a great day!

Kathleen, it is a Killer pie! Yeah, we have to spread the word about the pimento pronunciation! ;)

Autumn @Good Eats Girl, I have a huge pile of those must make recipes to get through! There's evidently all kinds of uses for Kahlua! Thanks for the visit!

Sinful Southern Sweets, it is! Your brownies sound delicious and I will be checking that out! Thanks!

Alessandra, decadent is the best occasionally! Thanks for stopping by!

Diane, I just wish I could pass that fork full of deliciousness your way! Thanks!

Terrianne, Call me Ree said...

Ooh! I don't even have to taste this to know how good it is! Will be making soon. Thanks.

Cinnamon-Girl said...

This looks heavenly Pam! A chocoholic's dream!

Pam said...

Terrianne, Call me Ree, thank you! I can tell it's all about the chocolate!

Cinnamon-Girl, heavenly is the word that says it all! Glad you stopped by!

Nimi SunilKumar said...

lovely one..i'm really lookin forth to try this one!
www.nimisculinaryventures.blogspot.com

Pam said...

Nimi, thank you and thanks for the visit!

Mimi said...

Waht a delicious pie. Chocolate and kahlua, a match made in heaven.
Mimi

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

I bookmarked this :) which is funny because I can not eat chocolate without getting a migraine but sometimes it is just worth it and this recipe looks worth it!
Shamrocks and Shenanigans

Pam said...

Mimi, you're right! It's a good thing!

S and S, it's delicious but, I'm not sure it's worth a migraine! That's not fun!

My Kitchen in the Rockies said...

Hi Pam, Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. I love the idea of this pie. Its sounds wonderful and I will give it a try. Thanks.