all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, May 21, 2010

Spicy Calabrese Sausage with Red Peppers and Our Favorite Butcher


We have a wonderful quaint specialty butcher shop here in Cary!  The name of it is Orchard Prime Meats, located on Main Street.  They have a huge variety of prime meats to choose from.  




Their fresh cut steaks are the absolute best with their stuffed pork chops coming in close but, one of their unique, tasty items is Chicken Dijon.  In fact, they say it is their biggest seller and I know why after eating it.   It is so very savory delicious and the aroma as it bakes in the oven is to die for, I’m not kidding!  It fills the house with the best garlic aroma you can imagine.  The chicken breasts are pounded flat and seasoned with garlic and panko bread crumbs and whatever else, I don’t know as they won’t give me the recipe for it.  That’s OK though!  It keeps us going back for more and checking out their new creations.




Orchard Prime Meats also has delectable cold cuts and cheeses.  Then there is the wine ~ the shop is filled with a plethora of varieties of it and they have wine tastings to help you decide which one meets your criteria. 





Bill does most of the shopping there.  He is not much for grocery store shopping but loves his trip to Orchard Prime Meats at least once a week.   And then at holiday time, he especially enjoys buying the goose, ducks and fresh, delectable oysters there for dinner.  Bubba doesn’t live in Cary but, he too shops there often for the Chicken Dijon, Cajun Pork Chops and he really craves their jerky.

Orchard Prime Meats is a high quality market with the customer appreciating their personal service and advice on the best way of cooking the delicious meat while enjoying a friendly atmosphere in the shop.  It’s just a superb meat shop I wanted to tell you about with the best of butchers and I wish you all were able to visit. No doubt in my mind that they couldn’t deliver whatever type of meat you’re shopping for!  







The other day, Bill picked up some Spicy Calabrese Sausage.  It is a great spicy sausage filled with some delicious flavors, packed with heat.  The red peppers are a perfect accompaniment with the spicy sausage served on rice.  Here’s hoping this sausage is available where you live, if not you will just have to take a trip to Orchard Prime Meats.  And, if you do, be sure to get their stuffed mushrooms ~ savory delicious!

Now, on with the recipe:




Spicy Calabrese Sausage with Red Peppers on Rice

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Spicy Calabrese sausage
1 medium onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1¾ cups whole roasted tomatoes or 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
2 cups white rice, cooked

Method:

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until crispy, about 8 minutes.
Add, onion, garlic, red pepper and celery.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.
Add tomatoes and cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
Remove to a serving bowl.
Spoon over rice on serving plates.
Serves 4

It is delicious!

Enjoy!!!


 


Pin It

28 comments:

  1. WOW!! Every town, small or large, needs a butcher and a place like that. I envy you, but you do know how fortunate you are. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have some lovely butcher shops here in France. This recipe sound quite yummy. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a butcher in town but it is nothing like this:D Anuthing with the name Calbrese is worth a try:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicous recipe! The spicy sausange sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, the sausage dish sounds great. I made something similar recently and I have to blog it. Then, we can compare and I would be happy to include some of your ingredients in my recipe. I had potatoes in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, Thank you for stopping by. :)
    Second, I feel so much envy! I want to live close to a butcher like that....I have not since I moved from home 5 yrs. ago. My uncles own their own meat market where they raise their own cattle, pigs, chickens and so on...IT is the best food EVER...I MISS THAT SOOO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice and easy ecipe with lots of flavor, Yum! And I wish I could visit your meat market!
    Thanks for visiting my blog-I think you have some great looking food here, so count me as a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't eat red meat/sausage or pork, but I do eat chicken and seafood=bet that would be wonderful with chicken instead of sausage...Happy Friday Pam and kiss M/M for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a nice meat market and a great place to shop. I could spend a lot of time in there. Great recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pam...that shop looks amazing..I would love a good butcher shop down here in Atlanta..I'm always looking for ground veal and believe it or not you can't get very easy down here...and short ribs...impossible..love your recipe. Being Italian we love our pepper and sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love butcher stores like this...they are way too few and far between! T hat sausage sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, you are so right and lucky we are! Have a good day!

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, you know what this is all about then! Thank you!

    Bellini Valli, thanks! The sausage is sooo delicious, very spicy good!

    Pam, it is! Thanks for stopping by!

    Sweet and Savory, that sounds great to me! I'm looking forward to seeing yours! I always like potatoes and it sounds like it would be delicious with the sausage. Yum!

    Miranda, sorry you don't have a great butcher shop by you. Bet it was the best with your uncle's. Reminds me of growing up on the farm and having the meat readily available. Thanks for the visit!

    Lynda, it's easy and good, what could be better? Thanks for the following and you have a wonderful day!

    Jacqueline, it would work fine with chicken also and I will be doing that! The shop has great seafood also! Give yours a belly rub and treat for me!

    Lyndsey, it's a great shop with the best meat and it's close by to make it even better!

    Sue, you should move here! It's great except for all the cold weather and snow! ;) That's too bed that you have problems finding the meat you'd like. Hope you find the veal and short ribs soon. Nothing quite like peppers and sausage! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joanne, I agree! There should be ones like this one in every town! Glad you like the sausage! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pam! Thanks for visiting & commenting on ReTorte - I always love hearing from new people. I'm on a bit of a blog break right now, but I hope to get back to regular food blogging, shortly. Hope to see you around, and I will start following your blog now for sure! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fantastic! Love hot sausage! and would never turn down a stuffed mushroom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, fabulous! Wish I had one of them near me. I'm soooooo far out into the boonies, it's not even funny. Love your stuff, lady. Thanks for stoppin in on me. I'm always flattered to hear from you. Maple Soy Salmon Filets? I keep seeing that and wanting it. Love, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you have such a great butcher in your town, and that you have a good relationship with them! I love calabrese sausages and those look great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There's a small butchery here too, but I don't usually find what I want there.
    Chicken Dijon..mmm...maybe some day they will share the recipe with you.
    I adore the hot pungent sausage...they are good in curry too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are quite a number of butchery here in Singapore like Italian Butchery or German Market Place. Love your spicy sausage, looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Pam, lovely post, I love your blog, thanks by coming mine, cheers, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  21. How lucky you are to have such a wonderful meat market nearby! The Chicken Dijon sounds wonderful.
    As does the Spicy Calabrese Sausage recipe! Yummy photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wandering Coyote, thanks and I'll be reading your blog!

    Dishesdone, right on with the sausage! The stuffed mushrooms are sooo delicious! Thanks!

    Keri, I lived in the boonies way back when on the farm, it was great! The salmon is delicious too, couldn't imagine using maple syrup, it works!

    Anna, thank you for the visit! Have a good day!

    Fresh Local and Best, it's the best shop around with many great sausages! Thank you!

    Angie's Recipes, wish you had a shop like this near by! The CD is amazingly delicious!

    Anncoo, lucky you with the variety! Thanks for the visit!

    Gloria, thanks so much! Have a good day!

    Barbara, I am! It's all delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good service and good products, what a lucky find. The spicy sausage and peppers looks fabulous.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love little specialty shops and sausage with peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love little specialty shops and sausage with peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mimi, it's one great shop and I'm so happy it is here in town!

    Liz, thanks! You have a good day!

    S and S, yummy is the word! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam