all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Friday, May 28, 2010

Bubba’s Homemade Summer Sausage



Just when I thought it couldn’t get any better, Bubba has done it again!

I posted Alice’s (my MIL) summer sausage recipe back on February 16th and I just have to post the updated version of it now.

Bubba has been working on this recipe for a while now ~ he has tweaked it way up several notches into an amazingly delicious spicy sausage.  You may remember how he loves hot spicy food but, this one does not have as much heat as the others.  (See Bubba’s recipes on the right side-bar under “labels.”)  This summer sausage is pungent with all the garlic powder and mustard seed ~ it will keep those vampires at bay.



 Bubba, 1971, almost 3 years old


It looks like it might be a lot of work as it’s spread out over so many days but, it’s not!  It just requires a little mixing each day with a long oven time on the final day.  And then you have it, freshly made summer sausage from YOUR very own kitchen.  It’s a wonderful thing!

If you enjoy summer sausage and have never tried making it yourself, you must make this!  I guarantee you will not be buying it from a store again!  It’s that delicious!!!


See updated version here:    

http://pamsmidwestkitchenkorner.blogspot.com/2010/12/bubbas-homemade-summer-sausage.html


Bubba’s Summer Sausage

Ingredients:

4.25 pounds ground beef ~ 80%
4 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick Cure
1 tablespoon, mustard seed, mounded
3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoon Liquid Smoke (hickory)
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder

Method:

Mix all ingredients with your hands thoroughly, even knead it like bread.
Cover and refrigerate.

For each of the next 4 days, prior to baking, knead until meat starts to warm up, about 10 minutes.

Day 2:  Knead and refrigerate.

Day 3:  Knead and refrigerate.

Day 4:  Knead again and refrigerate.

Day 5:  Divide into 4 logs and place on broiler pan.
Bake at 180 degrees for 9 hours, turning every couple of hours.
Meat will appear red when fully cooked.
Transfer sausages onto a wire rack over a pan to drain excess fat.
Place in refrigerator until cool.
Slice and serve.

Give this a try ~ it’s the best!



Pin It

32 comments:

  1. All of your recipes sound SO good - My hubby loves playing with the sausage grinder... I will have to send him Bubba's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love summer sausage...this looks so good!!! I have never made my own, maybe it's time to try it! Thanks to Bubba for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer sausage is great, but I have never even considered making my own! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making my own sausages, the hickory may be a problem to get on this side of the world! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family used to make homemade sausages of some sort when I was a kid. It was a yearly event for them! This looks great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bubba is the same age of me and he makes delicious sausages too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! I never had homemade sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet these are fantastic! I haven't been lucky enough to try homemade sausage. I bet it doesn't compare to what we buy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love summer sausage! I did not realize it takes so long to make. Thanks for the recipe. I definitely have a greater appreciation of it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was all excited to make this - until I saw the Morton bit.... I'll Google it, maybe I can make that, first ;-)) I was just thinking how nice it would be to have some summer sausage!
    Love the picture of young Bubba!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, home made sausages will definitely taste much better than store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never made my own sausage but yours sound pretty tempting! Must be very delicious! Just imagine those on the BBQ rack~~~ hmm...mm... yumm.. Hope you'll have a wonderful weekend.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jennifer, thanks so much! Hope your hubby has fun with this one!

    Jenn, yes! Go for it and try it! You won't believe how easy and delicious it is!

    Autumn @Good Eats Girl, glad you like it! It's great on a sandwich as well as an appetizer!

    Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, oh! The liquid smoke is a vital part of it and I'm not sure of what to substitute for it. Hope you can find it and make the sausage, it's wonderful!

    Debbi Does Dinner Healthy, that's great with your family! My family just made regular breakfast pork sausage and it was so good but nothing like this one.

    3 hungry tummies, LOL! Great! It was a good year for sure ~ you and Bubba are both proof of it!

    Dishesdone, one great thing about it is that you know exactly what goes into it! Have a good day!

    Cinnamon-Girl, no comparison is right!!! The texture is great and the taste is even better. Thanks!

    Biren, it does take a while but it's absolutely worth it! Bubba really spiced it up perfectly!

    katiez, it definitely needs the Quick Cure salt which is nothing like regular salt. I'm hoping you can find it and try this. Bubba was a cutie, bright blue eyes and long black eyelashes. Thanks for stopping by!

    Cheah, you said it! You have to try it to realize it!

    My Little Space, oh yeah! Very tempting! I'm ready for him to make another batch and I hope he reads this! You have a great weekend also! Cheers back at ya!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I learned it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so impressed at anyone who makes their own sausage! This looks delicious and way better than the mystery meat stuffed ones!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never made sausage and I bet it tastes wonderful! Wish you could overnight me some of Bubba's Summer Sausage...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an adorable little boy he was!!

    I may need to try this, I love garlic, and you're right, it DOES keep the vampires at bay! I haven't seen one YET!!

    Hope you're having a great holiday weekend! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Smiles, I have just been thinking about buying a meat and food grinder and now I see this amazing recipe. I think it's a cosmic hint that I must have the grinder and make this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum! I can almost taste it! Thanks Pam :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I would have never thought to make sausages at home! That is brilliant! Your comment about keeping the vampires away almost made me fall off my chair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Little Inbox, great and thanks for the visit!

    Joanne, you're right! No mystery meat here.

    À LA GRAHAM, you must give it a try! Have a good weekend!

    Anything Fits A Naked Man, thank you! He's a great one! And there are no vampires here either. You have a good safe weekend!

    Katy ~ There you go! Now you've got a perfect excuse to buy one! Thanks!

    Martha (MM), this one is really tasty! Have a good day!

    Sook, I'm glad you liked it and had a laugh. There's nothing like home-made!

    ReplyDelete
  22. There really is nothing like homemade sausage. I really like that these sausages can be aged in the fridge. I remember my momma making sausages when we were younger - and actually with similar mix like your recipe. She would go through painstaking effort to hand stuff the pork casings. I look back, and realize that I neither have the patience or skill to accomplish what she did.

    I like that this recipe does not require a casing. It looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Pam,
    Thank you for visiting me and for your kind words. This sausage seems so delicious and Bubba is so awesome in that picture!!!
    XXXX
    Lia.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my husband would love this - great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fresh Local and Best, I bet your momma's were great! I haven't tried the casing yet but just might one of these days if I can also find the patience. That's why this recipe is so great, no casing! Have a good day!

    Gloria, thanks! It is!

    Salsa Verde, thank you! Bubba is awesome and even more so when he makes the sausage! Have a good day, Lia!

    Simply Life, hope you give it a try for your husband! He'd love it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have to try this and smoke it! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Chris, that would be great! Another great thing for the smoker, thanks!

    Bo, thanks! Hope you do!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bubba is so cute in that pic! Never thought of making my own summer sausage, but I bet it blows that storebought stuff right out of the water! Looks very yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'll just add this to my to do list!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kim ~ thanks, he definitely was a cutie! You're right, this is so much better than store bought!

    Mimi, great! I have a long to do list!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to comment. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

Keep smiling,
Pam