all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Blueberry Martini and Cheese Pie

Southern Cocktails


Hallelujah!  Memorial Day weekend is close and what better way to jump start summer than with a refreshing cocktail and some cheese pie!

I’ve done the blueberry pancake thing and the blueberry muffins ~ now it’s time for a mighty blueberry cocktail.  If you favor a fancy martini, here it is; filled with vodka, lemon juice and blue curaçao garnished with a skewer of fresh blueberries. 

Curaçao, say “cure-ah-so” is named for the Caribbean Dutch West Indian Island.  It’s a liqueur made with dried sour orange peel, a method popularized on that little island.  The blue coloring is for added flair.  Berry drinks bring out the kid in us all ~ you just might like this so much that you’ll end up making it by the pitcher!

Now for the delicious savory cheese pie; if you’re a cheese addict like me, you’ll love this cheesy appetizer.  It’s very easy to make with just cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, onion and seasonings.  If you like a sharper, tangier taste, add more dry mustard and Tabasco sauce.  It’s a wonderful thing served on your favorite cracker!

Blueberry Martini

Ingredients:

About 30-40 small blueberries
3 ounces vodka
1 ounce Blue Curaçao Liqueur
2/3 ounce lemon juice, or more to taste
Several blueberries on a cocktail pick for garnish

Method:

Muddle the blueberries in a cocktail shaker.
Add the vodka, curaçao and lemon juice.
Fill shaker with ice.
Shake vigorously to help the blueberries release more color and flavor.
Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a chilled martini glass.
Add blueberry garnish.
2 servings


Cheese Pie

Ingredients:

½ pound sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
½ pound white Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup mayonnaise
1 small onion, minced
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Several drops Tabasco sauce

Method:

Spread cheese in a glass pie plate.
Mix the remaining ingredients and place on top of the cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Serve with crackers.

Cheers!!!



23 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

mamamiya...I want to try your blueberry cocktail!! It looks so mysterious and sexy!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Cheers, and I will have a slice of cheese pie as well. Yum Yum. Diane

Susan said...

That is one striking drink!!! I think I'd worry about the blue tongue left behind. I would love to taste it though.

Dishesdone said...

Looks like a really great cocktail! A blue cocktail has to be fun and festive! The cheese pie sounds delicious, saving the recipe, thanks!

From the Kitchen said...

Oh my a "healthy" martini! And the cheese pie sounds delicious! Do I detect some southernness in you? The shrimp and grits was a staple when we lived in Charleston, S.C. One could purchase 50 lb bags of rice at the Piggly Wiggly!

Best,
Bonnie

From the Kitchen said...

P.S. I often met the boats in the harbor for shrimp, grouper, pompano, etc. Now I shop at the fish markets in the Chicago area--and pay a lot more!

Best,
Bonnie

Bo said...

I love the color of your drink...and the cheese dip sounds fantastic!

Xiao Yen Recipes said...

The cheese pie sure sound oh so good! I love cheesecake and my daughters love anything cheese so this pie sure would be a home run in my house.

Pam said...

Angie's Recipes, mamamiya indeed! It is, it is and more!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, Cheers is right! Have a good day!

Susan, it's worth a blue tongue for sure! It's a mighty one!

Dishesdone, thank you! It is fun and good for the holiday! Glad you like it!

From the Kitchen, LOL!!! You are so right, I forgot how healthy blueberries are! Yes, I grew up in Louisville, KY so I love that Southern food! Oh my gosh, I can't imagine meeting the boats in the harbor. That would be fantastic, good and fresh. How cool!!! I know all about the price of fish in this area, nothing's cheap here!

Bo, the color is perfect and the taste is even better! Glad you like the cheese dip, it's tasty with the blueberries.

Xiao Yen Recipes, good! I'm there with your daughters on that cheese thing! YUM!

Jacqueline said...

That blueberry martini sounds divine!!...The cheese dip sound great too; thanks for the recipes...Happy day Pam!

Zia Elle said...

never seen abluberry drink!!!
great Pam, your martini looks fantastic!

Pam said...

Jacqueline, thanks! I just love that blue and it tastes great also! Have a great day!

Zia Elle, it's a great thing if you love blueberries! Give it a try! Have a good day!

À LA GRAHAM said...

Pam, I love that cocktail. I am just waiting for my watermelon to freeze so I can whip up some watermelon margs...but I am thinking I need to make these in the mean time! Have a great holiday wknd!!

Pam said...

À LA GRAHAM, thanks! Your sound pretty great to me. Love those margs!!! Here's wishing you a great holiday weekend also ~ have some fun!!!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Hi Pam! I think these sound wonderful! The drink is so pretty! Thank you for always sharing great recipes. Have a nice day! Twyla

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Oh wow! That looks like an unreal combination! Loving the blue toddy! And the cheese pie sounds just divine

Pam said...

Hi Twyla! Thank you! Glad you like it and you have a wonderful weekend!

Sinful Southern Sweets, yes! I would say unreal also but---ummmmm! It's good! Thanks for stopping by and have a good weekend!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

What a combo...yummy!
I want to dive right into both!

Pam said...

Corgidogmama, you're back! It's good to see you, lady! I'm so glad you stopped by!

Bob West said...

I enjoyed visiting your blog. Very insightful! Hopefully, mine will be an encouragement to you.
God Bless, Bob West

http://westbob.blogspot.com/2010/05/god-vs-science.html

Pam said...

Bob West, thank you and you have a great weekend. God Bless.

Sandi said...

that blueberry cocktail looks great!! I love blueberries!

Have a safe holiday weekend!

Pam said...

Sandi, thank you! You have a wonderful safe holiday also!