all sorts of recipes, from me to you

all sorts of recipes, from me to you…

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Zucchini Casserole



We all love mozzarella on pizza but as I have said before fresh mozzarella on vegetables is a wonderful thing.  I buy my mozzarella at an Italian market and love it because it is a sweet, delicate cheese with a slight tartness that pairs beautifully with many foods. 

It’s a little early for the zucchini explosions from the gardens and farmers markets but it is always easy to find at the grocery store.  It’s a great vegetable to serve as fritters, in a salad, with pasta or in a good loaf of bread.

This dish is just zucchini, cheese and a touch of seasonings to flavor it.  It’s delicious with meat or fish from the grill and makes a perfect side dish that is a bit different.  And now I’m thinking a little crumbled crisp bacon sprinkled on top would be wonderful also!



Zucchini Casserole

Ingredients:

1 large red onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1½ pounds zucchini, cut into slices
½ pound fresh mozzarella, shredded
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1-2 teaspoons fresh rosemary or thyme, chopped

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a small sauté pan over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic until wilted and lightly browned.
Place cut zucchini in a mixing bowl.
Add red pepper flakes and rosemary or thyme.
Stir in the warm onion mixture.
Transfer the vegetable mixture to a greased casserole.
Scatter mozzarella cheese over all.
Cover with foil.
Bake until casserole is browned and bubbly slightly around the edges, 45 to 50 minutes, removing foil the last 5-8 minutes of baking.
Serve hot.

Love that mozzarella with zucchini!



Pin It

25 comments:

Biren said...

Love zucchini! Just made a loaf of zucchini bread. Your zucchini casserole sounds like a wonderful dish.

Lyndsey said...

This looks wonderful!! I love zucchini too, it is so versatile. I do miss growing in where you can practically watch it grow. I'm going to try this one. I have a recipe that my mother in law made the last time we visited them in Michigan. They live on a farm. I will post about that one later. Do you have more zucchini recipes?

Lucie said...

This looks such a tasty dish, I know lots of vegetarians who would love this. Lucie x

Debbi Smith said...

I just made earlier this week that is similar to this. Zucchini cakes. This looks really good!

Mimi said...

Simple and cheesy, yum.
Mimi

Velva said...

I have to book mark this one. I have my zucchini in the ground and I am hoping for a bountiful season. I need all the help I can get with ideas.

This sounds like a wonderful recipe.

My cooking experiments said...

Zucchini n mozzarella is indeed a fantastic combo.Gonna try this out i am sure my family will love it.Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I must remember this easy recipe for later in the year. I had so many last year that I could not even give them away! I even made courgette (zucchini) jam so that I could 'get rid of them'. I have to say it was a huge success and I only have one jar left. Diane

Holly said...

This sounds delish!! I wonder if my kids would eat it;) Might have to try and see:)

Mausi said...

I love zucchini. I should cook them sometimes. I realized that I haven't had zucchini for a while. Have you ever tried zucchini flower? I heard they eat zucchini flower in Italy. I would love to try it someday!

Pam said...

Biren, love that zucchini bread also!

Lyndsey, zucchini is so easy to grow and like you said, it grows fast! I'm wondering how your MIL prepared it. I do have more recipes for it that I will post later.

Lucie, it's perfect for vegetarians! Thanks!

Debbi Smith, I saw yours, it looks delicious and the calorie count is perfect!

Mimi, it is! Thanks!

Velva, bet you will have a bumper crop of zucchini! Lucky you! Hope you try this!

My cooking experiments, you're welcome and I hope you like it!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente, it's kind of like rhubarb with giving them away after a while. The jam sounds great and I hope you post it!

Holly, it's such a mild vegetable and if they like cheese, I would think they might like this also!

Mausi, give it a try! I've never tried zucchini flowers but I've read a lot about them lately and would love to try that! Not sure what it would taste like.

Zia Elle said...

Nice your casserola, I like so muche zucchini!!

Karen said...

I hope I can remember this when our zucchini starts growing! I wanted to stuff the blossoms from last year's crop, but I never got enough at one time to do it. Hopefully, this year!

Danielle said...

I've made a similiar casserole before but I think I like this verions much better. Can't wait to give it a try

Joanne said...

In my opinion you could top just about anything with mozzarella and I would be happy, but this looks especially delicious. Can't wait for zucchini season!

Pam said...

Zia Elle, me too! Thanks!

Karen, the blossoms sound great! I've never tried them and will have to do that!

Danielle, there are so many versions and they're all delicious, I'm sure.

Joanne, I'm with you all the way! Love that mozzarella!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

I love zucchini! I travel too much to have my own garden. My friends share their crops with me, keeping me in fresh produce all summer long. I am not waiting for their gardens to sprout. I am going to the store to get zucchini and make this delicious recipe!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

This is a lovely way to eat zucchini! Somewhat simple but really delicious!

Pam said...

Linda, that's a great kind of friend to have! Hope you try this!

Cinnamon-Girl, it is simply delicious! Thanks!

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

This looks and sounds sooo good. I have made yellow squash casserole(a southern staple :) But I'm loving the idea of using the zucchini. Thanks for the new recipe!!

Pam said...

Sinful Southern Sweets, love that squash and I hope you give this a try! Thanks for the visit!

My Little Space said...

Zucchini! What a fabulous recipes. I thought some of them saying that the zucchini flowers are also can be eaten!

Pam said...

My Little Space, yes! I didn't know about that until just recently and want to find out more about it. I think we might be missing out on something great!

Taylor said...

Yum! Thanks for the idea for when there I have so much zucchini I don't know what to do with it! This looks delicious!

Pam said...

Taylor, zucchini is the best! Enjoy and thanks for the visit!